Outraged at Best Buy!!
    I am just completely outraged at BestBuy right now!! I've been promoting their product datafeed quite a bit lately and have one particular item that's attracting a great deal of clicks and traffic due to a huge price reduction. Strangely I haven't seen any sales for this item so I got to wondering.. I clicked the datafeed link to their site and what do I see:

Available only at Best Buy stores.
    Currently not available online.

How can they do this!!! They're having me promote their bricks and mortar stores for free! There is absolutely no way for me to earn a commission on this product yet it's in their datafeed. What kind of scam are they trying to run here? I've heard customer complains about their scams before, but I never expected to be scammed as an affiliate! I've sent at least a couple hundred visitors to this product in the past 48 hours and want my traffic back!

Best Buy, you truly are the epitomy of bad business.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib,

Try to contact the AM direct and let them know your expenditures on that keyword set. I know it looks REAL BAD, but understand that the AM is providing little more than a data dump from the site listings.

How would an advertiser best be able to scrub things like that? What is the description in the feed for that item..does it say anything about offline only? I think their feed is updated daily...how often is yours? These are all points that you'll need to include with your contact to them.

I hope your not out much green

Well, it's irresponsible at best if they are pulling a number like this. Scott's "the epitomy of bad business" statement is right on the money.

I've got two words for ya: "PRESS RELEASE".

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I've got two words for ya: "PRESS RELEASE".
    Two more words: "PRESS CHARGES".

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    How would an advertiser best be able to scrub things like that?
    Bet you $10 that it's already a data point within the architecture that BesyBuy themselves use to drive their own website. I seriously doubt that someone is hand coding and tracking on paper, item-by-item, which ones are "in store" only.

At best, this was an oversight on their part. One could have easily avoided.

Since the datafeed is being provided to affiliates to sell ONLINE, I would think any RESPONSIBLE AM would go through and pull references to store only items from the datafeed before providing it to affiliates.

After all, affiliate marketing IS NOT a public service, although some merchants and networks seem to think it is.

They really should reimburse you for your expenses.

Sorry to hear about this, and I hope it didn't waste too much money.

Andy

To their credit this item is listed with limited availability in the datafeed. The reason I ignore this field is that more than half their items are flagged like this. Most of them can be purchased through the Best Buy website, but now I'm a little concerned about whether they'd even offer a commission on any of them. It seems most of these items are available for "Special Delivery" while some are Shippable and others are In-Store only.

I just re-reviewed their program policies and it states that an item must be "shipped" in order for a commission to be earned. I was under the impression that any sale through the website would be commissionable, even a Pick-Up. Now if this is the case even these "Special Delivery" items may not be commissioned. I need verification on this.

If this is true, why should I promote Best Buy? They advertise that just about any item you click on is available for Pick Up. So now they're trying to deter my customers from making a commissionable purchase. I think this is a bigger problem than my original..

- Scott

Did anyone even receive any credit for any orders made after 11/20? I still didn't see any credit for at least one order. I do know there were orders everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by freebielover
    Did anyone even receive any credit for any orders made after 11/20? I still didn't see any credit for at least one order. I do know there were orders everyday.
    The last one I saw was on the 22nd. There was another thread about this here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=66592

- Scott

I've pretty much given up on Best Buy myself. From my experience in AM, it seems that the amount of money you make with a merchant or store is inversely proportional to its size. Don't ask me why... just call it La_Valette's Law...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    I've pretty much given up on Best Buy myself. From my experience in AM, it seems that the amount of money you make with a merchant or store is inversely proportional to its size. Don't ask me why... just call it La_Valette's Law...
    Add my name to your law, La_Valette - I can name quite a few big "corporate" merchants I've sent thousands of visitors without one sale ... I've since removed them from my sites. Nothing else we can do. Imagine a big name merchant asking a boutique to sell their product, but they got to keep all profits. No compensation for drawing traffic, overhead or displaying their merchandise. Uhmmmm ... doubt it would even be an option.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I have one theory as to why it happens. The big merchants have plenty of brick-and-mortar stores that people browsing online often finish up buying from. They're just gathering information on the internet. You have better chances with small online-only outfits where the website they're looking at is the only buying option.

ps. I just sent 300 clicks to one of the big names for nothing. Won't be doing that again...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

I have one theory as to why it happens. The big merchants have plenty of brick-and-mortar stores that people browsing online often finish up buying from. They're just gathering information on the internet. You have better chances with small online-only outfits where the website they're looking at is the only buying option.

ps. I just sent 300 clicks to one of the big names for nothing. Won't be doing that again...
    Yep and we're helping them build brand recognition.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Internet Cowboy
    Big Box Store = No Clicky as far as I am concerned.

I'll take the small niche merchants any day.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    La-Valette, your theory has proven true for me as well. Virtually no huge merchant with a chain or brick & morter stores in every city has converted hardly anything for me. People go to our sites, get shopping ideas, and then stop at the store on the way home from work without paying the shipping and have an easy return option if needed.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    La-Valette, your theory has proven true for me as well. Virtually no huge merchant with a chain or brick & morter stores in every city has converted hardly anything for me. People go to our sites, get shopping ideas, and then stop at the store on the way home from work without paying the shipping and have an easy return option if needed.
    That or they just don't pay affiliates for sales like they're supposed to. Arghhhhhhh - the beast of cynicism rears it's nasty head ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm glad I'm not alone. I began to suspect exactly what you mention above not too long ago (especially since I search Target's website for what I want and take the short walk to the store to buy it quite often myself) and decided to concentrate on merchants who either have no or limited brick and mortar stores.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I find it's not the size of the store that predicts performance as well as the commission percentage. Most big-box stores pay cheap, and therefore fall into the rule, but it's just as true for small cheapskates.

The Commission Law is simple:
    The Lower the Commission Percentage, the More Ways the Merchant Will Come Up With to Not Pay Any Commissions At All.

Best Buy is a cheapskate, therefore I'm not a bit surprised to read of them doing things to get sales down to being TOTALLY commissionless!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Does anyone know how to contact someone at bestbuy without emailing them at affiliates@bestbuy? Last time I emailed them it took them over 1 month to reply!!! Very frustrating to deal with these people.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread