Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question HELP!! Can u really earn $$ with affiliate programs???
    Hi all,
    Ok, i dont have 1000K visitors a month yet. But people do click on my banners. As the website I run (www.rfl.ch) is for arts , I am affiliated to :

allposters.com
    amazon.com
    bizrate.com
    adbrite.com

With days passing by, I am becoming more and more sceptical. I am starting to think that all these affiliate programs only let you get peanuts while giving a very cheap advertising plateform to merchants.

Please, please please, any trustful webmasters out there, can you tell me the truth? Do any of you really earn more than 10$ a month after making your website look like a Christmas tree???

Thanks a lot!

ABW Ambassador
    Alexa Traffic Ranking = NO DATA

If you can get the traffic, you can make the money.

Dump the junk tags
    Take the script off page
    Get the content to the top of page.

Thanks Adam,
    I've been updating my info on alexa about 6 times in the last 2 weeks. Nothing shows up.
    I am quite sure I did everything right.
    I do get traffic, unless google analytics is only trying to keep me in a dream :-)

ABW Ambassador
    You need some external links that point to your site.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...links%3Arfl.ch

[typo]

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    Can u really earn $$ with affiliate programs???
    Yes
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Not an easy niche - imo

Results 1 - 10 of about 884,000,000 for art
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 214,000,000 for artist
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...st&btnG=Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 125,000,000 for posters
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rs&btnG=Search

Once you RANK for something [anything] you will need to convert the traffic.
    Try 4 word phrases on your deep link pages and give the surfer limited choices.

Internet Cowboy
    "Can u really earn $$ with affiliate programs???"
    Nope. It's all a scam.

I am soon going back to my day job as a lifeguard at the carwash.

Thanks a lot for your tips and help Adam Ward!!!
    my english not being as good, i have 2-3 questions...
    what do you mean by:
    1) junk tags... Do you mean the meta-tags?
    2) taking the script off the page.. What script? The alexia script?
    3) getting the content at the top of the page... What content? How?

Sure isn't an easy niche :-D Do you know where I can easily find many webmasters who want to exchange links? I'm tired of scanning all the web without getting answers to my request :-(

UncleScooter
    Please tell me some more about your experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Nope. It's all a scam.

Lol...

Yes you can make a lieving. A good one.
    Just dont stop trying.
    Israeli Guy

Yes, people earn money as affiliates.

1. Take off that obnoxious blnking "Help us spread the word. Please link to us!"

2. Understand that nobody except you really cares a rats *ss about your site. You're starting a business. It's up to you to make it work, not other people. Give and you'll get. What are you offering other webmasters? Reciprocal links don't cut it anymore.

3. Work your way through the AWB Affiliate Academy: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144

Good luck! (and much hard work!)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thanks JoyUnltd

1) Okay okay, I will take off the blinking script lol..

2) What else than exchanging links and banners can i give to webmasters? It's a non-profit project, I mean all I hope to earn is with the ad spaces.

3) I'll check the academy right now :-)

Peace

It's certainly possible Raphael, but you have to remember that selling is an artform in itself (pun intended). When I first started I simply slapped up a bunch of banners and links and sat back waiting for the millions to come rolling in. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

So I started learning about how to sell to my visitors, how to lead them by the hand to where on my sites I wanted them to go, and how to entice (beat) a sale out of them. I'm still learning (and that's what I love about doing this stuff), but the sales are growing very nicely.

In this game you have to wear a number of different hats, and you have to be reasonably good with all of them. Not only do you need to know how to put together a good site, but you also need to know how to get the traffic (targetted traffic), and you also need to know how to close that sale. Three separate disciplines, all tightly connected IMO.

You're in a tough niche, but that doesn't mean you can't make it. Unless of course you think you can't.

Good luck,

Vege...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Nope. It's all a scam.

LOL - You've evil, Unc! ;-)

YES you can make money with affiliate marketing. Weed out the merchants who aren't making you money and try new ones. It's trial and error. Keep working at it and eventually the light bulb will go off and it'll get better. Takes work up front but eventually, you can sit back, nap and still make money beause the effort you put out in the bginning will begin to pay off, then update your pages, always look for new offers and better merchants or programs (AdSense, Yahoo ads, etc).

There wouldn't be 22 thousand members here at ABW if it wasn't a viable means of income.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    If you think you can, you can.
    If you think you can't then you can't.

If you give up easily or are looking for fast easy money then this isn't the thing for you.

If you work hard, don't give up and always learn from your mistakes, you can make $ from AM.

Run away kid, I don't want competition.

ABW Ambassador
    adsense will make more profit for your site.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Raphael,

You can earn thousands every month off of art! Speaking from experience here. Not sure about these larger "merchants" (like Amazon, Bizrate, etc), but smaller ones tend to pay a VERY fancy commission on art sales.

Have you considered opening a datafeed-based shop at your site?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Raphael,

You can earn thousands every month off of art! Speaking from experience here. Not sure about these larger "merchants" (like Amazon, Bizrate, etc), but smaller ones tend to pay a VERY fancy commission on art sales.
    Geno
    Bizrate ain't a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael [url="http://www.rfl.ch
    hi/"]www.rfl.ch]Hi[/url] all,
    Ok, i dont have 1000K visitors a month yet. But people do click on my banners. As the website I run (www.rfl.ch) is for arts , I am affiliated to :

allposters.com
    amazon.com
    bizrate.com
    adbrite.com

With days passing by, I am becoming more and more sceptical. I am starting to think that all these affiliate programs only let you get peanuts while giving a very cheap advertising plateform to merchants.

Please, please please, any trustful webmasters out there, can you tell me the truth? Do any of you really earn more than 10$ a month after making your website look like a Christmas tree???

Thanks a lot!
    Raphael.

While I am not an affiliate to any of those four merchants that you posted up there, I will try to reply here to your question.

Yes, you can make a lot of money, (much more than a lousy 10$ a month) from any merchant.

Just take Geno's advise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Raphael,

Have you considered opening a datafeed-based shop at your site?

Geno
    Or at least the Vege's one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemite
    It's certainly possible Raphael, but you have to remember that selling is an artform in itself (pun intended). When I first started I simply slapped up a bunch of banners and links and sat back waiting for the millions to come rolling in. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

So I started learning about how to sell to my visitors, how to lead them by the hand to where on my sites I wanted them to go, and how to entice (beat) a sale out of them. I'm still learning (and that's what I love about doing this stuff), but the sales are growing very nicely.

In this game you have to wear a number of different hats, and you have to be reasonably good with all of them. Not only do you need to know how to put together a good site, but you also need to know how to get the traffic (targetted traffic), and you also need to know how to close that sale. Three separate disciplines, all tightly connected IMO.

You're in a tough niche, but that doesn't mean you can't make it. Unless of course you think you can't.

Good luck,

Vege...
    Just make sure that you test your merchants, left and right first to see what's going on.

Then and only then, you will know the real answer to your question.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Bizrate ain't a merchant.
    That's why the word was put in quotation marks (I called them a "merchant" only to reflect the merchant-affiliate relationship).

Geno

Whats hard about making money in the net now is that almost everyone even young kids are trying to make money online.. competition is really all over.. sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by louiecorp
    Whats hard about making money in the net now is that almost everyone even young kids are trying to make money online.. competition is really all over.. sigh..
    2 SUGGESTIONS (in response to the above statement):

1) Find your niche. Don't sell everything.

2) Or (!) find a way to bring it to people in ways others haven't thought of. A vast majority of affiliate websites out there don't spend enough time on content. They just collect everthying under one roof and hope someone will find 'em and buy stuff from them. Spend time on content, contests, rebates... make it FUN! Then people will buy from you.

Geno

Thanks Geno for your very constructive tips and comments!!!
    I'll try to find how to integrate a datafeed shop.. it also sounds to me like the cleanest option for my site.
    I've been checking my latest stats... what i see is that I do get a quite good click through rate, but once on the merchants site, visitors don't buy... I think it is only a question of buy rate.. As my website is new, the traffic is still to low for it to have a satisfying impact on sales. So I really have to find a way to increase my visitors.. time or can make it, but I don't have money for an advertising compaign... I tried google ads, but at what price!! So I am trying forum posts, banner exchanges and topsite rankings... Do you have another idea to promote without spending a fortune?
    Peace,
    Raphael

Content, content, content, plenty of it, since you don't have an advertising budget. You'll have to do keyword research.

Try http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/ for learning SEO and getting more web site information.

Also, your site isn't about art (in general), but erotic art (or just sex). Your photo contest:
    Hottest Girl | Hottest Boy | Most Original Photo | Most Trashy Photo
    Vintage Pinup | Glamour | Rubber Fetish | Body Art

If your market is artists: well, the description "poor, starving" usually goes along with it. Maybe that's part of the reason you don't have a higher "buy" rate: your readers don't have money. Or all they want to do is see pictures of naked women for free, which is why they're clicking through.

2) What else than exchanging links and banners can i give to webmasters? It's a non-profit project, I mean all I hope to earn is with the ad spaces.
    I think you are confused about being in business. This is a for profit project. Just because you don't sell merchandise directly doesn't mean you're "non-profit." Thousands (millions?) of web marketers run directories of all kinds: that doesn't mean they're non-profit. They are very for profit. Running a successful directory can be a big profit business.

Non-profit organizations have a strict legal status in this country. Nobody can just go around and say "I'm non-profit." It's a special status, and there are rules and regulations that must be adhered to. Or else, people would go around ripping off other people with claims of "oh, but I'm non-profit."
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thanks JoyUnltd,
    I'll defintly try that forum :-)
    I understand your concerns and critics, but if you really know what non-profit organizations are, then you should know that non-profit does not mean voluntary work. Laws that rule non-profit organisation do not say that you cannot compensate employees for the administrative and organisational work they do. All organisations need to spend some of the money owned to cover their costs (webhosting, logistics, staff, insurances, rents, etc.). Non-profit means that the goal is not capital, but offering a quality service. RFL.CH is entirely dedicated to offering a free promotional service to artists and is therefore perfectly in accordance with rules and regulations on non-profit organisations.
    Ignorance and misunderstanding often leads to defamation.
    The revenue is NOT aimed to come from starving artists, but from art fans and all people who would find their pleasure in buying a product from one of the merchants I advertise. With open eyes, you would have seen that all advertised products are quality products and great deals for anybody who likes art and for artists.

About erotic art... well, what is wrong with it? Looks like your easily shocked! No, it's not a website sponsored by the vatican, and no, there isn't only erotic art hosted there. Of course some artists feel offended by our real human nature... Who cares about them! Open-minded people are not offended by erotism and don't call it "just sex". Again, a closer and rational look at the content would have helped you understand it.

Well I'm not here to lose my time in worthless debates with conservative people, but to get on with promoting art and artists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast