Question Breaking up Large Product Tables
    Thanks for looking at this.

I have created a 4 tier layout utilizing 3-.4ww files and 4 templates and create product tables using the WM-Record tag.

The layout is:

Level 1 - Product Catalog Main Index (lists all major categories)
    Level 2 - Major Categories showing SubCategories using a table with images
    Level 3 - SubCategories showing products by name using table with images
    Level 4 - Product Details

My problem is with level 3. Some subcategories have hundreds of items within. The product table gets very large. I want to limit it to a workable number..say 18 on each page and create subsequent pages based off of the subcategory.

I know that the index pages will create pages broken down by a certain number, but that is for all records in the datafile. Currently the datafile I am using produces over 8,000 records.

Is there a way to format the record tag to tell it to create a new index page after a certain number of records within the subcategory are processed?

If you want to see what I am talking about, checkout my site www.totalgoflinstruction.com and select product catalog - golf balls - standard balls. This will show you what I am talking about.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmmktent
    Is there a way to format the record tag to tell it to create a new index page after a certain number of records within the subcategory are processed?

It sounds like you are struggling with one of the age old problems with WM (and one that is high on the agenda for the next WM upgrade). Here is a link to where this was previously discussed within the topic "Lessons Learned in Using WebMerge." http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=category+NBR

Below is an exerpt, but scroll through the entire topic for several discussions on this topic.

Good luck.

FRANK
    Baertracks

=========
    I wrote:

Speaking of "tricks" and Lessons Learned, I am looking for an easier way to create multiple and successive WebPages with tables of products within the same category. For example, I may have 100+ products in one category of a large datafeed. In order to avoid creating a humongous table with 100 cells to display those products, I need a way to break the category into a series of tables and pages, e.g., 24 products per table per page.

WM provides an option to create a new index page after XXX items OR when a variable name changes. What I need is a feature that combines the two, i.e., creates a new index page after XXX records WITHIN a category.

My workaround is to redefine the field Category to create a new field called CategoryNBR in my datafeed that changes every 24th record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called Ballpoints I now have Category names called Ballpoints (records 1-24), Ballpoints1 (records 25-48), and so on. I then set WM to create index pages based on the contents of the field CategoryNBR. This does the job, but it does require some extra data manipulation each time I download a new datafeed.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    bemorecreative.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmmktent

I have created a 4 tier layout utilizing 3-.4ww files and 4 templates and create product tables using the WM-Record tag.

The layout is:

Level 1 - Product Catalog Main Index (lists all major categories)
    Level 2 - Major Categories showing SubCategories using a table with images
    Level 3 - SubCategories showing products by name using table with images
    Level 4 - Product Details

My problem is with level 3. Some subcategories have hundreds of items within. The product table gets very large. I want to limit it to a workable number..say 18 on each page and create subsequent pages based off of the subcategory.

I know that the index pages will create pages broken down by a certain number, but that is for all records in the datafile. Currently the datafile I am using produces over 8,000 records.

If you want to see what I am talking about, checkout my site www.totalgoflinstruction.com and select product catalog - golf balls - standard balls. This will show you what I am talking about.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    What I did was create a column in my excel file called Page. Then I numbered each item (ie: first 10 products get 1, next 10 get 2, etc). Then in webmerge it has a spot where you can choose to create a new index page when the data in field page changes.

Worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baertracks
    It sounds like you are struggling with one of the age old problems with WM (and one that is high on the agenda for the next WM upgrade). Here is a link to where this was previously discussed within the topic "Lessons Learned in Using WebMerge." http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=category+NBR

Below is an exerpt, but scroll through the entire topic for several discussions on this topic.

Good luck.

FRANK
    Baertracks

=========
    I wrote:

Speaking of "tricks" and Lessons Learned, I am looking for an easier way to create multiple and successive WebPages with tables of products within the same category. For example, I may have 100+ products in one category of a large datafeed. In order to avoid creating a humongous table with 100 cells to display those products, I need a way to break the category into a series of tables and pages, e.g., 24 products per table per page.

WM provides an option to create a new index page after XXX items OR when a variable name changes. What I need is a feature that combines the two, i.e., creates a new index page after XXX records WITHIN a category.

My workaround is to redefine the field Category to create a new field called CategoryNBR in my datafeed that changes every 24th record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called Ballpoints I now have Category names called Ballpoints (records 1-24), Ballpoints1 (records 25-48), and so on. I then set WM to create index pages based on the contents of the field CategoryNBR. This does the job, but it does require some extra data manipulation each time I download a new datafeed.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    bemorecreative.com

I tried to do this but did not had any good result.. could you please explain better please? I opened another thread about that specifical question.. thank you

I am wondering about the same issue and I think I am beginning to understand. It looks to me like the WE-IndexLabel tag is what is being used.

According to the Webmerge Tag Reference, this tage lets you write a portion of an index page only when the value in the specified field changes between records.

Is that correct or am I attributing the wrong usage to that tag? Is there another tag that should be used to accomplish the stated objective in this thread? Any help appreciated.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread