SE indexing and affiliate datafeeds
    Does anyone know of a smart/software driven way to change datafeeds so they are not treated as duplicate content by Google the others?

ABW Ambassador
    I only know what I've read here, but I understand using Excel to customize some of the fields in the feed is the way to go before using in a program like WebMerge. That sounds like the simplest way, from my understanding.

I have wondered whether it would be possible to do by importing a feed from Excel to Access, since it's easier to pick out specifics in the latter - but haven't asked yet.

If the feeds are dynamically inserted and updated on the server straight from the merchant, there may be no way to customize except to use some software - so that's back to your question, for which I don't have an answer, but I'm sure someone else will.

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf wrote an interesting post, some time ago, that outlined her methods used to correct the dup content problem of feeds that everyone seems to overlook.

I have been looking for that post for months...

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf wrote an interesting post, some time ago, that outlined her methods used to correct the dup content problem of feeds that everyone seems to overlook.
    Ah, I remember - it was a great post. I think I remember approximately where it was, I'll hunt around and see if I can find it.

I do believe she said she does a tremendous amount of customization and individualization right on the feed data in Excel first thing.

I believe her site is http://www.mycontentgenerator.com/ and there's a link to the thread over to the right.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, the link is to an ABW thread about her tool. But the link to the WmW on thin affiliate sites now returns a 404.

Added:

It may have something to do with how the feed is put onto the pages. Here's an AMWSO thread on a ready to roll dynamic feed they've got now, and Ssanf is right in the middle of this one asking all the right questions

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=66502
    Last edited by webworker; November 28th, 2005 at 04:22 AM.

Hi!

Yes, I do change the feeds, a lot. Mostly, I change the navigation and the way things are sorted into catagories at that point so that my sites don't look and navigate the same as every other site with different headers and background.

I also mix and match merchants.

My Content Generator doesn't change the feed.

What happens is that you make your static pages the same as always but you add just one tag to your pages, usually in the template, telling what the page is about. After the pages are made, you use My Content generator to add your own unique text, using the subject in your tag, to each page. It writes it right on to the page for you. This makes all your pages different from any other page you have and different from anyone else's.

The new text will be located on the page where ever you put the tag and the tag, itself, will disappear so it looks and reads like you just typed it in by hand.
    Last edited by SSanf; November 28th, 2005 at 06:24 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Edited to remove fantastic marketable idea!!!

Sorry, I ain't giving my genius away!

I KNOW THE SOLUTION!!!!!

HAPPY DANCE!
    HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!
    Last edited by SSanf; November 28th, 2005 at 07:19 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread