Direct Revenue Goes Legit???
    Direct Revenue is working on a new behavioral marketing software and claims they want to clean up their act. All of their talk about going legit seems aimed at public perception and doesn't address the real concerns affiliates had with their software.

Their new CEO states they plan to turn Direct Revenue into a legitimate online advestiser. Are they admitting they were not a legitimate advertiser?

What is disturbing about this article
    http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3566556
    is they claim Direct Revenue is working with the Network Advertising Initiative and the Center for Democracy and Technology to develop standards for adware. What's wrong with this picture?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "Rather than display pop-up ads on users' desktops, as Direct Revenue now does, the new, as yet unnamed network -- to be launched in the first quarter of next year -- will use behavioral data collected by the software to target advertising that appears on publishers' Web pages. The model is similar to that adopted by competitor Claria for its BehaviorLink network."

It's the same old thing, only worse. Their "application" will stuff their ads into your website when consumers view it. Is this really better than a pop-up? Does eliminating the popping a new window, by stuffing their ads into every page viewed instead, make it better? Now, you can close most pop-ups. Once they insert ads and their links into your pages using their tricks, there won't be a window to close. Later, we'll also hear how an affiliate link (that the website owner has put in place) is really no different than any other ad and their application will feel free to replace / insert / alter / overwrite those links as well. And they'll tell everyone why this is "more relevant" since they sniffed everything the user does on their computer... so they know best what ads and offers the viewers want to see... of course, the website owner isn't being consulted here.

""The user won't see more ads than he would see otherwise, but he will see more relevant ads," explained Jean Philippe Maheu, Direct Revenue's CEO. Maheu, formerly the CEO of Web development company Razorfish, joined Direct Revenue in May and has since been trying to turn the company into a legitimate online advertising player."

Their deifintion of "more relevant ads"... DR chooses which ads show up stuffed into everyone else's website and they get paid the ad fees instead of the website owner...

I also wondered about who their "publishers" are. I can't help but think these "publishers" are you and me, even though we never agreed to be their publishers. And, if we ARE their publishers then why don't they pay us? This publisher arrangement is about as odd as someone who glues all the pages of Time magazine, then puts their ad inside the cover and says Time magazine is a publisher of theirs. I bet Time would be as unhappy about this "publisher" arrangement as we are.

The intelligence part is a concern too since we've seen what they will do with intelligence. Too bad intelligence doesn't mean honeset and ethical instead of how to better avoid class action lawsuits.

Exclamation deja vu all over again?
    the funny part is, what I'm seeing proposed sounds an awful lot like what some have been caught for, already.

ABW Ambassador
    Currently (i believe) for claria's system, publishers need to opt-in by agreeing to their ads on networks like fastclick or from claria. I would be surprised to see someone try to smash ads back on publishers pages after claria originally got smacked around for this idea.

Chet

Consumers are being asked two things here - to allow outsiders to monitor / log all their internet browsing (for in-house use and sale to the highest bidder) and to view more ads, ads, ads stuffed everywhere they can fit (and some places they don't).

Who would willingly sign up for this? No one.

So non-consensual installs for consumers, small install base means they'll have "glitches" that edit our sites and links without our approval, they'll feign network compliance, they and others will enable new data holes to be exploited for identity theft, misuse of personal data will go on, 56-page intentionally confusing EULAs, it'll be nearly impossible to remove the apps, and blah, blah, blah...

Same as it ever was...
    Same as it ever was...
    Water dissolving, and water removing...
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean...

The Talking Heads sang it...

And these guys at Direct Revenue, claiming to go legit, are just more of the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    So non-consensual installs for consumers, small install base means they'll have "glitches" that edit our sites and links without our approval, they'll feign network compliance, they and others will enable new data holes to be exploited for identity theft, misuse of personal data will go on, 56-page intentionally confusing EULAs, it'll be nearly impossible to remove the apps, and blah, blah, blah...
    Oops, forgot one biggie... they'll continue to target children to install the crapola...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Oops, forgot one biggie... they'll continue to target children to install the crapola...
    That in itself should be illegal. Why should a person have to be of a certain age to provide information on a website but don't need to be of a certain age to install software that monitors everything you do online? Most users don't know how to setup Window's accounts for their kids so they let them use their Administrator account and we know how well that works.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well Direct Revenue needs to try polishing their new improved act here, in an ABW thread. They've dropped by before and some of their infestation freebee frontends have done drive-bys. Their "Born Again" ebiz plan needs to be tested here to find it's universal appeal to the Affiliate Industry players. Replacing text with cookied links sounds like TopText ( Vintage 2001) with security hole exploits. Have they told their CyberTerrorist infestation partners to take a hike and close those illegal backdoors. Maybe they'll stiff the wrong party, or cut off their 3rd world distributors, making for some partnership termoil. Please spin away Direct Revenue.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It's not an Ezula type thing.

They are talking about starting their own Network like Claria has done. Advertisers buy ad media and publishers serve up the ads on their web sites. What ads are displayed based on the 'behavioral' data they have collected through their software previously on surfing habits. And most likely will continue to collect. And there will be folks who will join and run the banners from their "Network" just like there are folks who will push the installs for a few cents. As well as advertisers willing to pay for the 'targeted' ad delivery. Heck advertisers are buying ad inventory to have delivered through their pop ups right now, so no doubt they'll pay for it to be delivered on web sites.

And well the this 'model' worked pretty good for Claria when the heat got hot towards being 'legitimate.' I've been noticing a significant decrease in the number of pop ups from DirectRevenue over the last few months. They got to make up that money somewhere. So shift it to data mining...it's less obvious on the end user's computer afterall.

Ain't life grand? ::

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B

They are talking about starting their own Network like Claria has done. Advertisers buy ad media and publishers serve up the ads on their web sites. What ads are displayed based on the 'behavioral' data they have collected through their software previously on surfing habits. And most likely will continue to collect. And there will be folks who will join and run the banners from their "Network" just like there are folks who will push the installs for a few cents. As well as advertisers willing to pay for the 'targeted' ad delivery. Heck advertisers are buying ad inventory to have delivered through their pop ups right now, so no doubt they'll pay for it to be delivered on web sites.

And well the this 'model' worked pretty good for Claria when the heat got hot towards being 'legitimate.' I've been noticing a significant decrease in the number of pop ups from DirectRevenue over the last few months. They got to make up that money somewhere. So shift it to data mining...it's less obvious on the end user's computer afterall.

Oh yeah ... cut the rattler off one, another slithers out. We're soooooooooooooo screwed.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B

Speaking of Adwhores -Claria and others - I opened a postal padded envelope to day and got a chuckle. The return address said on Adwhore. Inside was a white neck strap badge holder with the Claria logo all along the strap material. The perfect gift for someone who doesn't have everything. I feel like having someone make a golden badge saying ... "We need no stinkin Badges" and wear it at Adwhore Bling -Bling.... if Charlie doesn't crew it to smitherines

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Wear it with Pride
    Got it at adtech
    I could not resist...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    ROFLMAO MCT. I'm sure he'll wear it with pride.

I just can't figure out why Mike quoted me and started off by saying "And speaking of Adwhores..."

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Wear it with Pride
    Got it at adtech
    I could not resist...
    So you were the culpret... jokster...thoughtful perveyor of my new treasure. I'll cherish it forever hoping for the day I can match it up with a Claria visitors pass to make it a heirloom. As they say this time of year ... it's the thought that counts. Merry Christmas "Merchant Consulting Group" ...right back at cha.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yipee... now they'll be targeting clients trademarks, domains and organic SEO with software.... instead of just randomly popping up banners with software.... yes a huge step forwards.... Perhaps they can ask MetricsDirect if nCase.com is available....
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread