ABW Ambassador
    Merchants that disable the browser backbutton from their affiliate links
    Merchants with "back" button disabled when using their affiliate links:

So far I'm aware of about 5, but here's the two that I can come up now. will add later.

SonyStyle (CJ), Carabella (LS)

If the user cannot come back to the affiliate site, then what they're doing is an anti-affiliate practice.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes - that's a lousy trick. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Tax Paying Member
    Back space
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo

So far I'm aware of about 5, but here's the two that I can come up now. will add later.

If the user cannot come back to the affiliate site, then what they're doing is an anti-affiliate practice.

I do not have SonyStyle links since CJ is not on my buddy list.

I do have Carabella links. The links require a back double click to return to your site.

You might consider making the link open into a new page.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I do have Carabella links. The links require a back double click to return to your site.
    How many of our visitors would be aware of that?

and why do Carabella have that feature when a whole bunch of other merchants, even LS ones, don't?

If you look closely at the redirect page that's preventing the single back button click, it is titled: "Lslanding.html".

Sooooo. This feature was made specifically for LS links!!!

I don't know if I am on the right track on this one but, I am using target="_blank" on over 95% of my Merchants links, just to make sure that my visitors get a New Window everytime they click on any of my Affiliate URLs (or links), that way they always can still have my site available on the background in case they need to buy something else from my site.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    why not 100% then?

anyway, i'm just really suspicious why they would do that to their LS affiliate links, and to their LS affiliate links ONLY.

also, i've been using the _blank code for years but that is not the point. what about other affiliates who are not using that.
    Last edited by waytogo; November 28th, 2005 at 10:34 PM.

why not 100% then?
    Because the other few %'s are trade secrets.

(Do you remember about all the eggs on the same basket?) .... think about it! TEST, Test, TEST.!

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    yeah yeah. let's just stick to the thread subject for our own website's good. too many lurkers here waiting to paunch.

sooo, the question is, why is carabella doing this to affiliates? i can certainly react to that in my own website by puting _blank, but their action makes me wonder about their real intent in affiliate marketing.

Internet Cowboy
    Goodtimes Entertainment does that too.

You have to click twice fast to get back. And they take months and months to pay!

sooo, the question is, why is carabella doing this to affiliates?
    While Carabella may have best answer, my guess is this:
    They do want the visitor to have an easy access back to a bunch of their competitors. If a visitor is coming from an affiliate link, it's highly likely that there are many other merchants listed where they are coming from, that sell the same or similar stuff.

I don't see it as a wrongdoing, though. Affiliates have the option of having links open in a new page or even frame merchant site, if it's not prohibited by the merchant.

Holly, molly. That was my 1000th post! It was pretty meaningful, too

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm not sure that it's the Merchant trying to make it hard to for the end user to get back to the affiliate's site. Just like some affiliate's use redirect pages as a means for their own metrics, so do Merchant's. I took a look at the LSLanding redirect page. It contains coding to set the Carabella cookie with the affiliate's tracking information. Remember for LS the affiliate stuff is stored in the Merchant's cookie vs the LS cookie. Well it's in the LS cookie also, but it's the Merchant's cookie that is 'looked at' for return days. Other Merchants set up their own tracking of affiliate traffic in various ways (redirect pages being one on them) so that have a comparison with what Networks are reporting. It's not completely uncommon to see Merchant's (especially bigger merchants with more sophisticated back-end systems) to have special landing pages for affiliate traffic (or other paid advertising traffic) that then redirect to their homepage or whatever page.

It will then take the 2 click thing to get back to the affiliate's site because the Network links are also redirect pages (ie you wind up with 2 redirect pages in a row: network --> merchant).

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Actually if the aff also uses server-side redirects on their site then it would be 3 redirect pages from the aff's site to the merchant's page the visitor ends up on. Then you have to click really quick on that back button to get back.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Holly, molly. That was my 1000th post! It was pretty meaningful, too
    Congrats SamBay on reaching that elusive ABW milestone. The back button getting the normal single click return on double/triple redirects wasn't something I've noticed in the past. I've yelled for years at Linkshare, on their expired merchant link warning landing page, the back button was foiled on purpose. They almost compensate with a text link back to the referring site at the bottom of the 'deadbeat' merchant or affiliate message....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Other Merchants set up their own tracking of affiliate traffic in various ways (redirect pages being one on them) so that have a comparison with what Networks are reporting. It's not completely uncommon to see Merchant's (especially bigger merchants with more sophisticated back-end systems) to have special landing pages for affiliate traffic (or other paid advertising traffic) that then redirect to their homepage or whatever page.
    Unfortunately, marketing is consumer-oriented and some merchants still can't get it. what will we tell our users? Hey! you got to click real quick in order to get back to our pages. you think they will just accept that without raising an eyebrow?

I noticed the same feature too before in the LS error page, but since I have to remove the aff links anyway, the problem didn't occur to me. now, the problem looks big. I mean, your user went to an error page, shouldn't you roll out the red carpet to entice him/her to come back to your website? with the back button virtually disabled, that's not really nice.

Besides, there are alternatives, right? of getting the stats the merchant needs without resorting to this kind of thing.

To me, disabling the back button is right up there with popups. It's kind of like having a streetside retail store where customers can get in through the front door, but if they want to leave the store they have to find a manager with a key to let them out. Customers really love stuff like this and want to return often to this kind of establishment.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread