Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Getting Backlinks...
    ...to your site is important.

I see some sites out there with 10,000 backlinks!!!!

How does one do this?

A simple link swap with other sites? I doubt it. To swap links with 10,000 sites would mean your site would have that many ... not to mention the amount of time it would take LOL...

So How?

mopek

content

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    content
    x2, Something NOBODY ELSE has.

If you build good content the links will come with time. Just focus on building your site and don't try to speed up the process with silly link swap programs. It takes time to build a good site and shortcuts just don't work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mhutch
    If you build good content the links will come with time. Just focus on building your site and don't try to speed up the process with silly link swap programs. It takes time to build a good site and shortcuts just don't work anymore.
    I enjoy the building part of creating my site. Adding new content etc...

But it seems that in order to get all the pages spidered, you need PR which means lots of backlinks.

I hate doing link swaps as they are frustrating and seem to not contribute much to the site overall.

But it seems that in order to get all the pages spidered, you need PR which means lots of backlinks.
    I disagree. Don't confuse quantity with quality when talking about backlinks. I know people that have large sites that get spidered and ranked well with only a handful of backlinks. A link from DMOZ or the Yahoo directory is better than 10,000 from link swap programs. However, you won't get a link in either of those major directories without good content. I think content is still the foundation on which a good site is built. Get the content, submit to trusted directories and then just wait.

Mopek, as some of the others have alluded to, it's all about content. If your site has the kind of content that other people will want to link to, bookmark, talk about in forums, then the links will start to come in eventually.

Go after the kind of links that are likely to drive traffic to your site and that, in turn, increases your chances of having other people link to you without your asking them to. The higher the profile of your site, the faster the links come. Depending on your content, you could also try for multiple listings in Yahoo and DMOZ if you're only concerned about the number of backlinks.

I might also add that you have the wrong attitude about getting links in the first place. Don't think of it as frustrating and adding little value to your site. Think of each link as a possible goldmine of visitors and adopt the attitude that it's a challenge to seek out link partners and get them to link to you. I'll gladly spend an hour or so just to get one good quality link that's likely to drive decent traffic. Last week I got a link from a guy (PR7) who I knew would say no to begin with. I already knew what my response was going to be back to him, and I knew he would then subsequently agree to the link - which he did. He even put it up with the anchor text I asked for and already his site is featuring nicely in my referrer stats. I totally played him, and enjoyed every minute of it. It's kind of a webmaster's version of online poker! Think of link building as hustling rather than a chore, and it's much more fun that way.

If spidering is your only concern, just concentrate on getting quality links to deep sections of your site, rather than a huge number of practically worthless links.

Good luck,

Vege...

(and try to stay clear of the reciprocal links - get one-ways only!)

WOW!

Those were some great responses. I asked the same question. in other forums and the thread didn't get very far at all. Thanks you guys for answering.

It is good to hear because like I said, focusing on adding good content is what I enjoy most.

mopek

P.S. Vege - any tips on how to hustle

I agree w/Vegimite. A few GOOD links can do wonders. I've played it both ways and am starting to lean more towards quality links rather than quantity.

So far it is starting to pan out. (much to my surprise) I was always under the impression that quantity was the answer.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Mopek, calling it 'hustling' is simply my way of dressing it up to make it more interesting for my limited attention span. I'd get bored way too easily if I thought it was a chore.

Essentially it means tailoring each link request to the site in question. Think outside the box a little. Why use Google's backlink checker on your competitors to find link partners when every other webmaster does the same? You'll end up asking for links from hardened webmasters. Go use Y! or MSN and dive straight to page 20. Vary up your queries to find those link partners - forget about terms like 'submit url + keyword'. Try phrases like 'further information + keyword' instead and go after websites that are related in topic to yours, but off the beaten track. Use synonyms to find alternative key phrases. Dive into the depths of your logs for obscure keywords and phrases and use those terms in turn to look for link partners. And when you find likely link sites take the time to compose an e-mail that addresses their site, their audience. Most of us hate getting boilerplate link requests ourselves, so IMO a little bit of customisation goes a long way.

At the end of the day each niche is different. I have my own way of approaching webmasters that has been honed over time and is fairly specific to my sites. It now works pretty well - I get most links I ask for - but it took a lot of trial, error and patience.

Oh, and great content helps!

when someone asks me for a backlink, I check out their site, and if I see that it's a cut -n- paste mumble jumble of affiliate links then I won't link to them...

Mix great content with affilliate links
    It takes time to build great content and develop back-links. I've got one informational page that's been on the Internet for eight years with no affiliate links that has 31,000 backlinks but it takes a long time to build a lot of content and many years to accumulate the back-links. The affiliate links are sub-pages from the main informational content pages.

Just keep adding good content and the rest will happen automatically. Short cuts don't work, just like in life. The longer it takes to achieve something, the more you appreciate the result.

I've never given a 1-way link based on a request, and very few reciprocals. But if I find a great site I'm definitely not afraid to link to it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Lightbulb Gah!
    *Runs away from in-the-box, Orwellian duckspeak-infested thread!*
    *Pokes head back in, can't resist duck-hunting*

How does one do this?
    It looks like everyone so far has either forgotten about, or intentionally decided to "not see," the fact that there's always more than one way to accomplish something, resulting in several posts' worth of rubber-stamped responses.

Plus, the "content" answer is probably totally or almost totally wrong, unless you're talking about some very long-established sites, or ones that are either very high-quality or very "viral."

For the average site, the "10,000 Link Question" is MOST LIKELY answered by one of THESE other ways that sites end up with boatloads of links:

Lousy scraper sites ripping off snippets from your pages, and linking to them

Link swap co-ops and the like
    If you're rich enough, you can buy 'em
    Internal link networks
    DMOZ clone sites (if you've gotten into d-blows you'll get links from everyone who syndicates their directory)

Warning! Some of these can result in penalties...

Quote Originally Posted by mhutch
    Short cuts don't work, just like in life. The longer it takes to achieve something, the more you appreciate the result.
    Ack. 1) Short cuts "in life" DO work, if you don't think so you just haven't found the right back-road yet. I'll enjoy watching you in the traffic jam on the freeway as I whizz by on the side road. Or better yet, I'll take a plane, that's an even shorter shortcut
    2) The longer it takes to achieve something, the likelier I am to conclude that it wasn't worth the hassle. But taking a long time to do something that can be done just as well faster and easier, is inefficiency!
    Last edited by Leader; November 30th, 2005 at 05:00 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've got the following link bookmarked as it has some good linking advice:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum12/1739.htm

Its mainly on the etiquette of linking.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Leader - I was hoping you'd respond to this. I remember the debate in one thread about "themed vs mall sites" and you were the only one arguing for the mall-type site and doing pretty well against a bunch of good points from respected members of this board arguing for the themed-type. Thanks for your input.

Are you saying that content is not important overall, or just not important when it comes to getting backlinks?

mopek

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mopek
    Are you saying that content is not important overall, or just not important when it comes to getting backlinks?
    I know you asked Leader, but I'd like to add my input on this.

If you target consumers, and you have lots of great content, why would it follow that a consumer would then have a relevant, high-ranking website (or any website at all) and decide to link to you on it. It doesn't. The idea of natural backlinks is flawed in my opinion. It was one good metric before it was known to be a metric. But today, the vast majority of backlinks do not come from people "voting" positively for your site. The number of firms doing seo backlink campaigns is a testament to my position, so are the crappy search engine results (with truckloads of IBLs) that dominate the SERPs. Yes, it's a fact of webmaster life that backlinks matter, but if you assume that content will get you there, my own personal experience tells me you're making a mistake.

Thanks Donuts.

How would you then recommend getting them?

It's interesting that both you and Leader - with 6 dots next to your usernames - say the same thing.

mopek

Leader - I was hoping you'd respond to this.
    mopek
    It's interesting that both you and Leader - with 6 dots next to your usernames - say the same thing.
    Jeez, get a room.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This is what I do:

Do a search with the text "add my site" along with key word that matches my site. I find all the topic-related directories that allow free addition of my site. You could also try the search strings "add your site" or "submit your site" along with the broad keyword.

I then look for link trades using the strings in the paragraph above. I might also search using "trade links" along with a keyword.

I only trade with sites that feature ONLY the content matching my site. I try to find sites that only have a page of listed links. If you look around, you can find link partners that can actually send you traffic - ideally, that is what you would want.

This is what I do. If any of you want to critique this method, feel free. I am willing to learn.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thanks for your responses guys.

Leader - I was hoping you'd respond to this. I remember the debate in one thread about "themed vs mall sites" and you were the only one arguing for the mall-type site and doing pretty well against a bunch of good points from respected members of this board arguing for the themed-type. Thanks for your input.

mopek
    C*ntent. Its importance epends on what you want to do with it. (For clarity--I define content as the general type of stuff you can find on wikipedia [info-content]. Sales spin (aka "sales copy" or the "pitch") is what's on a sales/store site.)

Some people who have info-c*ntent sites have mentioned selling advertising on those sites. While that does have potential (and sometimes quite good potential), info-content doesn't play well together with affiliate sales--to say the least.

Thing is, content draws a totally different audience than a store, and info-content's audience is not looking to buy things! So, for content sites, the method of monetization needs to work *regardless* of whether people buy or not. Cuz they usually won't buy. But if you want stuff to get sold, go for the audience that IS looking to buy--the audience a sales site draws. Buyers naturally go to stores, and researchers go to libraries and the like.

Despite possible other uses for c*ntent, we're talking about affiliate sites, and when it comes to affiliate marketing, I find info-content to be as useful as sand in a gas tank. Sand has its points too, but not in the tank!

LINK-WISE: It's not important for link quantity (if you are unconcerned with the *quality* of the links)--you can get 'em in the ways I mentioned in my other post, or use some of the numerous other methods you can find out about with a few google-searches (quality varies!). Content sites can draw SOME links on their own, but not enough to do much. You may snag some more link requests than otherwise--but even that is sporadic. For the c*ntent sites I have, only one of them gets link requests "out of the blue." (And to all the smarties out there, no, they do not suck )

If you're after *quality* links, some people who have good PR WILL link to a straight affiliate mall site. You just have to bug more webmasters (the "yes" rate is lower, but NOT nonexistant). Fortunately, the higher PR the links-in are, the less of them you need to be of benefit.

As for selling stuff: Informational (non-sales) content is counter-productive in 99% of categories. However, some SALES SPIN, aka "advertising copy" (instead of the Wikipedia-type of content) is good. Unless you're a truly hideous writer, then skip it Of course, use SEO tactics on your sales spin (make sure to get your keywords in, etc.) so the SEs know what term to rank it under.

If you use datafeeds, the logistics will quickly catch up and make it hard/impossible (depending on size of feed) to do unique pages by hand. But, in my experience, unique sales spin does convert better than most merchant-provided spin. So there's a tradeoff even without taking any dup-content penalties into consideration.

It's getting late (for me) and the letters on the screen are starting to get blurry, so I'm going to stop posting for now... I should have been asleep hours ago!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ok.
    to change the direction of this topic, but stay on backlinks.
    What about ezines and articles ??
    I have had great results with this.
    we write one every 2 weeks, submit it to all the relevant ezines
    and the amount of backlinks are fantastic.
    not to mention the amount that are then downloaded from these sites and re-used on other relevant sites..

Comments
    Welcome
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Ok.
    What about ezines and articles ??
    I have had great results with this.
    we write one every 2 weeks, submit it to all the relevant ezines
    and the amount of backlinks are fantastic.
    not to mention the amount that are then downloaded from these sites and re-used on other relevant sites..

Comments
    Welcome
    But where do you submit them where they will have any impact.

I tried that a few months back for a weight loss site I have and after looking online for a few hours I submitted to several ezines and article sites and now don't really have anything to show for that afternoon of work?

mopek

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I recently submitted a press release through PRWeb for $80 to launch a new site. Within 48 hours, I had well over 500 backlinks pointing to my new site. Now don't get too excited, many of these sites had no relevancy and are just rss feeds and the like. And the SEs can see the content is the same inn all those places. But still, it's a nice start.

There are ways and ways and ways.

Avoid cheapies / spammies and go for articles, pr, magazines, newspapers, buy a few text links, find real websites that actually would make a good fit and write to them succinctly.

Keep in mind that onpage is important too and should come first. Like putting on your pants before your shoes - it'll go much smoother and faster in a certain order. A decent site, well themed, with css styling and relatively clean code, will also make it easier to impress people and to get those backlinks. When someone requests one from me, first thing I do is glance - if it's hideous - delete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast