godaddy.com?
    Anyone using godaddy.com for hosting? seems to be inexpensive and reliable. Of what I can see...

pros: great uptime,inexpensive

cons: not enough features, scripts, doesn't support php :-(

they added 2 scripts: communityserver and DotNetNuke, but seems like no matter what DotNetNuke doesn't want to work after it is supposed to be installed and community server setup is still pending after 6 hours+ of waiting... anyone else using godaddy and what is your opinion of them?

I'd say no PHP support is a devastating con. I'd never recommend hosting without PHP to anybody. I've heard bad things about GoDaddy's hosting. They're just good for domains.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I use them for a few smaller sites - never had a problem. In fact theyve actually called me a few times when my domain or hosting was going to run out because of an exp. credit card. (Saved a hassle)
    I believe they support basic PHP and MYSQL, but not .htaccess, cgi, and some other features included at other hosts. Their stats program is VERY basic.
    I've read horror stories about them on the web, but no gripes here,yet.

Economy Plan includes PHP-10 MYSQL

I also use them for a small site with php/mysql. I haven't had any problems with billing or anything in that nature. I've also used them for domain reg but host the site with another firm.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Economy Plan includes PHP-10
    10?

The newest version of PHP is 5.1.1...
    The newest version of MySQL is 5...

What's this "10?" Did they add up the 5s or something that I wouldn't expect?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

PHP
    10 MYSQL databases

Internet Cowboy
    GoDaddy is the best hosting company in the market today. They are reliable, priced right, support is good and their affiliate program actually pays what it is supposed to pay.

I have several cheapo hosting accounts with them and just got a dedicated server. I am in the process of migrating my hosting accts to my server. They include php and MySQL on all of the accounts I have.

The server I have with them is VERY fast. I have another one at another host and, granted it is full, it was never as fast as the GoDaddy server.

Isn't GoDaddy the cat who once blocked SE spiders from crawling their client's sites? What if the mood strikes again?

I have noticed godaddy are hosting quite a lot of the big scammers.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They're cheap and they're very popular, so not surprising to see lots of scammers there. There's also lots of regular folks there, like me. I have several sites hosted there and over 3 dozen domains registered there. They have php for free in every plan and my sites get crawled just fine. I host one very graphic-intensive affiliate site there and it runs very fast. When I check my alexa speed rankings, comparing to a wide variety of other hosting locations for sites, I'm always pleased with the cost and the speed. They resolve DMCA and UDRP complaints quickly. They answer the phone always. Their setups are simple. When I buy a domain and hosting, it's live and populated worldwide in ~4 hours, so I know they submit DNS changes almost immediately cuz the propagation delay is so short. Did I mention that they're very cheap.

On the bad side...

I think their help files REALLY stink, but there's always the phone.

And when a site of mine "grows up" and exceeds ~2,000 unique visitors a day, I migrate the site away from GoDaddy to ValueWeb because while very generous on the lower end, GoDaddy's bandwidth and disk space limits for a larger, heavy traffic site are no great deal in my opinion.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Oops, forgot to recommend the dedicated IP address if you're looking for organic results. GoDaddy is shared hosting (like most others) - so get the dedicated IP for sites there if you're looking to SEO as a prong of your traffic strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I believe they support basic PHP and MYSQL, but not .htaccess, cgi, and some other features included at other hosts.
    No .htaccess or cgi? Forget about it! I've got to have at least that incase a merchant needs to be removed so I can redirect those page when the search engines come a callin'.

I guess you get what you pay for...
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Internet Cowboy
    .htaccess works fine for me on both my server and their shared hosting

I had some problems with the .htaccess firstly because they have an option to use their automatic 404 page. I think that messes up your own .htaccess. I've got it working now but as far as I can see I can only have one htaccess in the root. On other hosting I use I can put an .htaccess file in to any directory.

PHP & mysql is on all their packages but cgi is only included from the middle shared hosting and upwards.

I've found them to be a decent host so far.

And how pray tell did you get htaccess to work with GoDaddy?? I am on Linux with them - so it should be working, so they say..but I have yet to get it working. I am on the verge of opting out of their service unless I can find a resolution to the htaccess situation, any help appreciated!

on the control panel under "404 Error Behavior" make sure you select "Use Custom 404 Error Page:" and nominate the page. I think the other option to use godaddy's own 404 page messes with the htaccess operation. That's what I found anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    looks like godaddy is not being a gooddaddy these days.

by simply receiving a complaint about your site, valid or not, godaddy then ransoms your domain for more than twenty-folds it costs to register. not really bad if you have only one domain but if you have hundreds, wow!

and they want you to prove yourself clean even with that. what?!!! how are we supposed to prove we didn't do anything if we haven't done anything?

looks like a scam to me.

I read about that several times
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    looks like godaddy is not being a gooddaddy these days.

by simply receiving a complaint about your site, valid or not, godaddy then ransoms your domain for more than twenty-folds it costs to register. not really bad if you have only one domain but if you have hundreds, wow!

and they want you to prove yourself clean even with that. what?!!! how are we supposed to prove we didn't do anything if we haven't done anything?

looks like a scam to me.
    Enough to make me stay faaarrrr away from godaddy. I read probably a dozen or so times where someone was accused of spamming and godaddy shuts down their domain (how it works I don't know). It's a no-questions asked, just shut-up and pay $200 (per domain).

The first couple of times I read about it, I thought, hmmmm, maybe they did and maybe they didn't do anything wrong. But after reading about it several more times, I realized someone could shut you down after they found out you were on godaddy.

No way Jose would I host with godaddy.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

ABW Ambassador
    dont they give you time to explain??? and is this common practice????????

I'd imagine this is common practice with any hosting company. It sounds like if you are violating the law they act swiftly and broadly. Shoot first and ask questions later. Is it the best way to handle things? Questionable. They have alot of business so I am sure this is the most efficient thing for them.

I use them and I am a reseller elsewhere. Personally I like Gdaddy/WWD because that is the only place I know of that is a one stop shop. And if you are planning on growth I'd say that is a good place. You can start with a shared hosting account. Then move to a VPS. Then move to a dedicated - all with the same vendor. They do the domains. They do SSL. They do Windows and Linux. If you are a hosting reseller like me they handle the billing.

As some one who has been selling hosting for awhile I can tell you that dealing with many vendors to manage my business is a pain in the rear. I have on company for domains, another for my linux reselling, another company that handles my billing software, another company that handles my SSL needs. It just tiring sometimes keeping track of who has what ball for my site and my clients.

P

ABW Ambassador
    so lets say i register xyz.com domain on godaddy and have a hosting plan from abestweb.com hosting company (example) and someone states/complains on godaddy -although it might not be true- that i am spamming or whatever... will godaddy shut me down before even contacting me? -and charge me the above mention fee?

furthermore is there any solution of avoiding the above -even if you are not in fault?- as i like godaddy from other domain registars... not to mention that their affiliate support i very nice, although it takes one to two days to answer emails...they do assist

Those are really good questions
    Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    so lets say i register xyz.com domain on godaddy and have a hosting plan from abestweb.com hosting company (example) and someone states/complains on godaddy -although it might not be true- that i am spamming or whatever... will godaddy shut me down before even contacting me? -and charge me the above mention fee?

furthermore is there any solution of avoiding the above -even if you are not in fault?- as i like godaddy from other domain registars... not to mention that their affiliate support i very nice, although it takes one to two days to answer emails...they do assist
    I wish now that each time I read about this, I had jumped in and asked questions. I have no idea if it was hosting and domains with godaddy, just domains with godaddy and hosting elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    I'd imagine this is common practice with any hosting company. It sounds like if you are violating the law they act swiftly and broadly. Shoot first and ask questions later. Is it the best way to handle things? Questionable. They have alot of business so I am sure this is the most efficient thing for them.
    patrick24601, I'm sure you are correct. Godaddy was the only company I'd heard about this occurring. I, too, would like to know more details and any preventive measure, if any.
    Last edited by White Wolf; February 16th, 2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by KGP

Well, some people learn from their mistakes and some don't.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf
    It's a no-questions asked, just shut-up and pay $200 (per domain).

The first couple of times I read about it, I thought, hmmmm, maybe they did and maybe they didn't do anything wrong. But after reading about it several more times, I realized someone could shut you down after they found out you were on godaddy.
    personally, i register my domains with godaddy and i'm happy with the service. but i've noticed one action lately (and personally) that godaddy is going bad. it has to do with backordering. so when i read the report about the $199, it made me think twice about godaddy.

technically, they ask you first. but actually, it really amounts to not asking you at all. for one, the onus is on your side to prove that you have done nothing wrong. can you really prove that something that does not exist doesn't really exist? that's impossible. somebody can make up a complaint about you and you have no defense whatsoever. and worst, if somebody spoofs your email address (which occurs a lot) and sends out spam, you're dead meat. Except of course, unless you pay money to godaddy.

if you have at least 200 domains at godaddy, which i'm sure is not unusual, that's roughly 200x$200 = $40,000. wow!

that's extortion and racketering.

is this their last hurrah? desperate times need desperate measures, are they going out of business?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread