Flash Ads Yes or No?
    Ok I have few sites and I was thinking abour running ads for my main site across these. Now I was tossing up the idea as making the ads Flash based. Now I know very little about Flash. Is there anyone out there who can maybe point me in the right direction with some major points.

First what percent of people have flash, can normal ads be shown if they don't have flash, can I do any advanced things like tracking. Maybe a good flash faq would be a good start. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LookPortal
    Ok I have few sites and I was thinking abour running ads for my main site across these. Now I was tossing up the idea as making the ads Flash based. Now I know very little about Flash. Is there anyone out there who can maybe point me in the right direction with some major points.

First what percent of people have flash, can normal ads be shown if they don't have flash, can I do any advanced things like tracking. Maybe a good flash faq would be a good start. Thanks
    You ask about making the ads Flash based.

While I have no problem with Flash ads, I do have a problem with ActiveX.

Since in order to see any Flash ads, you must have to agree to have ActiveX controls enabled on the page or that page may not display correctly, I will never care to see those pages correctly.

Last year SaS used to have a stupid ActiveX prompt on the log in page, I am glad that they no longer do that, and while abw still have the ActiveX prompt on every page that I click, I decided to make an exception to my rules on abw because, it's abw.

But, I will never join any merchant that tell my visitors that they must have ActiveX controls enabled in order to see their pages, nor I will come back to any new site that I can't see because I get greeted with "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

ActiveX and Sex, have one thing in common: They're both good, but if you're no careful, you may get infested with something anywhere, at any time!

Sal.

Flash is for demonstrations, at best for use as learning tools. I've seen very few that add anything but uselessness to a website. My vote is NO for flash.

I'm sure you can create very effective advertisements in Flash. I've been seeing more and more pop up on some of the big brand content sites. I think the trick here is to make it a game of some sort so the user starts to play with the ad and gets sucked in. You can create a simple puzzle or something that's more eye catching with Flash. I say go for it!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Want to guarantee your program, company and advertising will piss off web shoppers... just use FLASH.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Anyway no this will not be something to annoy people or work in conjunction with Active X (which is a pain). I don't think that is a default setting that you have to enable active x anyway. I mean I see flash ads in firefox fine. But I still would like to know more about what percent of people have flash installed and what to do if not.

ABW Ambassador
    I would definitely avoid it if I were you. I've actually been thanked by some for not having flash on my site(s) and some have told me that they wouldn't be a member on a site w/ flash ads... There's really no point IMHO

Flash is great for entertainment purposes, but really bad for a site in general. It greatly decreases usability and drives away visitors -- who don't really care enough to wait 10+ seconds for flash to load. So I recommend No Flash

I wouldn't use flash...

Thumbs down the only way to use flash is to
    make sure there's a highly visible "SKIP" text link or button.

i hate getting trapped on those pages without an easy escape!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread