Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone have any luck with Dotster? I have been using them personally for domain registration and like their service. I have submited a couple of transactions thru my own links and the transactions never show up?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I never got paid for my own test link with them either, though they seem to work well for reserving names and such.

Big Tex,

I checked their account and they show transactions everyday. Have you checked that you have cookies enabled on your computer?

Do you have the confirmation data generated at the time of domain registration? CJ and/or Dotster can use this information to reconcile the transactions.

I recommend that you contact Dotster with this information and ask them to check into it for you.

A key thing to remember, though, is this - if they have trouble tracking YOUR transaction, are you really going to spend a lot of time and money promoting them?

>and they show transactions everyday.

Everything must be fine then. Its impossible for a merchant to let through one or two transactions and pocket the rest. That would require swapping out the transaction code on the thank-you page and replacing it, then swapping it back.

Everyone knows this is beyond the technical ability of a CJ merchant. But, to be certain, you can always email them and ask.

I

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Big Tex,

Have you checked that you have cookies enabled on your computer?

so, no cookies, no sale??

do you have to have cookies enabled for a same day sale using a direct link?

It depends on their tracking integration. Most browsers allow for session cookies, so it should not be a problem. Better safe than sorry.

Todd, thanks for the reply. I do have cookies enabled. I often test a merchant before I promote them. I also noticed that they had transactions based on EPC so I even did a second transaction with them to be sure it wasn't me. I also contacted them via email but never got a response. I will check and see if I have the txn info. Is it possible they would not apply affiliate fees if it was a pre-existing customer? (I would hope not).

The 7 purchases that I made through my own links to dotster did not go through. I saved the confirmation to check for the CJ code, but it was not present. On three of these, I complained to Dotster, and they manually credited the transactions.

After the last four, however, I decided that something was happening to the cookie after it was set. Goodbye to that program.

BTW, I used different computers, different links, and even made a couple of new links, to make sure everything on this end was working.

Todd, is there any way you can tell where their transactions are coming from?

Lets say a merchant set up their own affiliate site and reversed all transactions except the ones from their own publisher site, would cj catch that?

Well today I finally get a response in my CJ inbox that read:

Thank you for being a valued Dotster affiliate! For a short period our tracking code was disabled. I have credited your account for these transactions. If you find any more transactions that are not credited to your account, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at rmeder@dotster.com or by phone at 360-449-5915.

Our sincerest apologies

Russ Meder
    dotAffiliate Program Director
    Dotster Inc.
    rmeder@dotster.com
    360-449-5915

You other guys that are missing txns should follow up with him. I just wonder about the tracking code being disabled. Whether it is intentional or not, we get the short end of the stick.

There has to be a way for CJ to automate the verification of tracking. That is the only way we will see compliance.

I ran an individual through Dotster today, and the lead DID NOT SHOW UP. One of my customers, I am designing the site for them, and I know I ran this through dotster correctly. Their tracking is not working correctly.

I ran two more txns through last night and both showed up this morning. However, the SID did not show up.

wonder what cj has to say about this???

how many times can a merchant slide before they are shown the door

Big Tex,

That's same email I get every time I ask about a transaction....

quote:
    Originally posted by SpongeBo2:
    Big Tex,

That's same email I get every time I ask about a transaction....

well, as lucy would say....

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

This issue was discussed here very often. IMHO there are a great lot of merchants cutting the code on their " Thankyou"page and taking the transactions over to their own affiliate site. CJ.com has no instrument to check that, so merchants can do this without ever beeing punished for that. This incident is a week point in cj.coms tracking system. I wonder why cj.com wouldn't change that, but now for me it is clear that cj.com doesn't matter to whome they pay the commission wether to the fraudalent merchant as his own affiliate or to us publishers. On our end cj.com did everything to controle us strictly and we were kicked out only if there is a suspicion not even a real proof. First thing cj.com should do is not to allow a merchant or his employees to be his own affiliate. The affiliate business can only prosper if there is a variety of publishers. For clients it would become a bore having only 1 publisher. But on a long run this would be the effect. If the clients are not interested in publisher stuff at all cj.com is no longer neccessary.

Jonny

quote:
    IMHO there are a great lot of merchants cutting the code on their " Thankyou"page and taking the transactions over to their own affiliate site.

Or one better Maybe Cj has their own affiliate account, an not just get payed for tranaction fees, but also commissions.

IMO - Maybe Cj intercepts or cc our emails sent to advertisers. I say this because when you start putting things together, this would explain why ( awhile back ) after I sent emails ( same day ) through Cj's ( slowest )email system to three different advertisers the next day I had made asale with each of those complained about advertisers. Just my opinion, but these are some of the things that have happend to me.

emailed Dotster a coupla days ago with specific confirming info...no response yet.

bumpity

To All:

First of all my sincerest personal apologies to all of you regarding this matter. We have recently migrated from an ASP platform to a PHP platform we did this to promote a more stable environment for our customers. During this migration our developers put tracking code into our system to that tracked back to our ASP billing system. It appeared that everything was working fine because our logs showed transaction being sent, however they were not sent through to CJ to credit accounts. This very simple problem was very difficult to fix since we weren't looking in the right place.

I will honor any and all transactions that you believe have gone through your Dotster links. At Dotster we work very hard at maintaining credibility through everything we do. Even if it means eating "crow"!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to rectify your problems with Dotster. I am personally committed to help all of you with your missing transactions.

Contact me and you will also recieve an additional 5% commission on all of your transactions that were missed!

Thank You!
    Russ Meder
    dotAffiliate Program Director
    rmeder@dotster.com
    360-449-5915

I was just coming back here to mention that dotster had just posted a sale through my site, so it looks like everything is okay now. Thank you for posting Rusty, I appreciate it.

-elbowcreek

Russ,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

I was a dotster affiliate also but was dropped So I joined your instant reseller program which is problem laden also ... do you have any control of that?

Haiko
    [Fixed Code]

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Please let me know what your suggestions are. I will work hard at making your feelings known to the appropriate parties. Our customers wishes are what drive our company and our success! Please contact me with any of your issues and I will see that our programmers know what our customers issues/suggestions for this system also. We have a system in place that tracks the number of occurances of a particular customer/s questions. This system allows us to determine the how many times a customer has an issue with a certain area of our system and pushes that issue to the top of the "honey do" que. This is as simple as sending an email to
    support@registerapi.com

ABW Ambassador
    Woaw! I just fell out of my chair! :eek:

You are getting paid 10% of $14.95 for domain registration?

I'm a major reseller for a major domain registrar and I can give you a link that you'll make over TWICE that, and I can guarantee tracking, 100% because it goes right to the registration, and no cookies required.

I'm not boasting or marketing, I'm just shocked that's all they pay you and then you have to worry about the tracking?
    :eek: Send me a private email and I'll be happy to set you up.

Offer goes to anyone interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast