Resurect My Site?
    hello, im new to the forum and have a bit of a question.

i used to have a decent website. i had between 500-1000 UNIQUE visitors every day. page views were much more. It was a fishing tip website that was once rated in the top 10 fishing sites online. Now this was about 3 years ago so i ended up scrapping the whole thing and now my website resides on a cd somewhere (at least i hope so).

now ive been searching lately on things like adsense that make money. my old website made me about 10 bucks in the year it was around so i wasnt going to pay 20 bucks a month in hosting.

Well heres the thing. would it be worth my time and money starting this website over again. i can probably get 1000 unique visitors a day in a half year (thats how long it took last time).

and if it is worth the time and money how much could i expect to make ?

thanks for the help!

Cool
    two ways of looking at it:

was it linked to by other sites before? can you get back on them?

is the content still fresh or easily freshened?

might be a very good idea to put it up again. I asked the first question because it may or may not be treated the same by the search engines as it was in the past. All the incoming links you can get will really help.

also, you may find that your merchants have new tools you can use to help keep your pages up to date.

but get a good domain name for it, not a freebie.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zibzer
    hello, im new to the forum and have a bit of a question.

i used to have a decent website. i had between 500-1000 UNIQUE visitors every day. page views were much more. It was a fishing tip website that was once rated in the top 10 fishing sites online. Now this was about 3 years ago so i ended up scrapping the whole thing and now my website resides on a cd somewhere (at least i hope so).

now ive been searching lately on things like adsense that make money. my old website made me about 10 bucks in the year it was around so i wasnt going to pay 20 bucks a month in hosting.

Well heres the thing. would it be worth my time and money starting this website over again. i can probably get 1000 unique visitors a day in a half year (thats how long it took last time).

and if it is worth the time and money how much could i expect to make ?

thanks for the help!
    If you had that many visitors before, you'll get them again. Hang around ABW and learn what to do to make that traffic pay off. And definitely get AdSense or Yahoo ads on those pages. You will make way more than $10.00 a year, probably more like $10.00 a day or more with minimal traffic. It will be worth it and you can build from the original pages to make it a big, revenue producing site. Good "tips" pages get linked easily and are good traffic generators.

Go for it. Don't even hesitate.
    Last edited by Rexanne; December 1st, 2005 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional input needed :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Go for it! Do everything you did before and get it set up with all the information you can provide. It's very possible to make some decent money with a site like that. If you put enough time into it and do a good enough job you can make several hundred if not thousand per month.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

thanks guys ive been given hope. the whole idea of the website at first was to try and make a couple bucks off doing something i enjoyed. but every affiliate program i was in ended up ripping me off somehow. But back then there was no 'adsense'. well im out of town for the next little while (got a new job outside my hometown, im staying at my aunt and uncles right now) but when i get settled somewhere ill definately pull the site together again. its gonna be hard getting the visitors back (it was hard getting them the first time) but if Rexanne thinks its possible for 1000 unique visitors a day turn into 10 bucks a month i cant afford NOT to re-invest my time thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    two ways of looking at it:

was it linked to by other sites before? can you get back on them?

is the content still fresh or easily freshened?

might be a very good idea to put it up again. I asked the first question because it may or may not be treated the same by the search engines as it was in the past. All the incoming links you can get will really help.

also, you may find that your merchants have new tools you can use to help keep your pages up to date.

but get a good domain name for it, not a freebie.
    the site was linked with other sites and was added to i think 1000 search engines. it will take about 3-6 months to gain the visitors back. the reason i was up to 1000 per day was because i had new info every week so i had repeat customers + new customers. It will be a lot of work keeeping it fresh now that i have a full time job and moving out of my parents house (i have real worries now) but im sure i can find a few hours a week to write something up. i could try and get repeat visitors with duscussion boards (theres a lot of scripted boards you can pick up now i see). i could try and make the largest fishing web forum on the internet (very hard) but i may be able to do it in time. anythings possible.

thanks

the site was linked with other sites and was added to i think 1000 search engines. it will take about 3-6 months to gain the visitors back. the reason i was up to 1000 per day was because i had new info every week so i had repeat customers + new customers. It will be a lot of work keeeping it fresh now that i have a full time job and moving out of my parents house (i have real worries now) but im sure i can find a few hours a week to write something up. i could try and get repeat visitors with duscussion boards (theres a lot of scripted boards you can pick up now i see). i could try and make the largest fishing web forum on the internet (very hard) but i may be able to do it in time. anythings possible.

thanks
    You bet. Start slow, work on it when you have a chance and slowly build it back up. Pretty soon you might be able to work on it full time because it's making loads more money than your "real" job or at least enough that you won't have to go to work. You're already far ahead in knowledge and now you've found ABW so you're really ten steps ahead. Go for it!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

thanks guys ive been given hope. the whole idea of the website at first was to try and make a couple bucks off doing something i enjoyed. but every affiliate program i was in ended up ripping me off somehow. But back then there was no 'adsense'. well im out of town for the next little while (got a new job outside my hometown, im staying at my aunt and uncles right now) but when i get settled somewhere ill definately pull the site together again. its gonna be hard getting the visitors back (it was hard getting them the first time) but if Rexanne thinks its possible for 1000 unique visitors a day turn into 10 bucks a month i cant afford NOT to re-invest my time thanks again!
    Geeze - if you only make $10.00 a month, don't bother. Run like hell. LOL - You'll do a lot better than that. Of course, the more traffic you get, the more you'll make. A lot of merchant programs are stiffs on "content" sites. We've all learned that the hard way. Find the ones that DO make you money and get adsense and Yahoo ads up ... but good God man ... shoot for a helluva lot more than $10.00 a month or even a day ... maybe $10.00 a MINUTE.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

lol. one thing i didnt have before was this website. you guys and girls are awesome, and you dont seem to be afraid to lend a helping hand.

im thinking about remaking my site. jazzing up the looks , adding a webforum and slowly get my visitors back. ill add adsense at the getgo. along with the yahoo version. Once i get 250 or so unique visitors per day ill get merchants from the shareasale program.

now one thing im trying to figure out here. is the shareasale program just adding typical banners with different merchants? so say i have 5 merchants on shareasale. can i have an add space that randomly chooses one of the 5 merchant adds?
    or do i actually try and sell THEIR items on MY website?

im a lottle confused but its also 3 in the morning so that may be one problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Geeze - if you only make $10.00 a month, don't bother. Run like hell. LOL - You'll do a lot better than that. Of course, the more traffic you get, the more you'll make. A lot of merchant programs are stiffs on "content" sites. We've all learned that the hard way. Find the ones that DO make you money and get adsense and Yahoo ads up ... but good God man ... shoot for a helluva lot more than $10.00 a month or even a day ... maybe $10.00 a MINUTE.
    haha i ment DAY sorry

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread