Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paper.com
    Anyone else fuming over their being "temporarily offline"?

Offline? This company sucks, they are a small chop shop up in CT its one guy John who is a total prick to everyone. He is only out for himself and he doesnt pay out. I offered him some services that he never paid me for I signed up to the affiliate program but havent seen a dime yet. Dig deep into this company and see.
    Dont think they are legit because they have a good domain. Any greedy domain squatter can buy a good domain. Dont purchase from Paper.com and dont resell his stuff, he is just a middel man for the paper anyway. Go directly to the source and get it cheaper. This company is a cheating scam stay away. I work hard to stay honest I am happy forums like this can warn us about others who are not.

Question
    so how does one go to the source?

I don't know who Super417 is or what we did to offend him. I am John Engel, the CEO of Paper.com, and if anyone has an issue with Paper.com they can call me directly.

Lightbulb
    Hi, and welcome to ABW,

by the way, it's a two year old thread . . .

Definitely call John, don't email him. It took him 20 days to follow up on an urgent email I sent him (see http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=95308&page=2).

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    20 days? ouch... I'm glad I saw this, I was just about to waste time adding links.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    20 days? ouch... I'm glad I saw this, I was just about to waste time adding links.
    might not be a waste: but if you apply you'll have to wait to be able to get links that work.

why are you so hostile?
    I joined ABW yesterday and I responded to the thread.

I don't know who Mark Welch is or when he has ever contacted me.

Paper.com is 203-652-2500 and my extention is 2501.

I welcome inquiries and I follow up immediately.

Mark Welch, why don't you call me so we can discuss this. I don't think we have ever met. I am trying to make a good faith effort to improve my affiliate program, reach out to affiliates, and take over the communication with affiliates directly to see if it makes a difference.

Any program that SAS puts on a tempoarily offline status is cause for alarm and frustration. However, we can't always assume that it is because they wern't set up for auto-deposit or that they are actually going out of business. There are MANY reasons why this can happen.

I personally have used Paper.com and enjoy promoting them.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi John, Welcome to ABW and thanks for participating. It's always great to get to know merchants.

I think most of us use email as an initial means of communication with affiliate program managers instead of telephones. At least I do. So prompt replies are important to me. I deal with nearly 800 merchants right now, so phone calls can take time that I don't have.

Just a suggestion. (This isn't to imply that I have a problem with your program - I'm not one of your affiliates).

Anyways I hope you'll stick around. It's always interesting to get the merchant viewpoint.

Lily

jengel199,
    The problem is you insist on telephone calls. I live in Mexico, I am not going to be making international calls just to get info or check on a problem. My telephone calls would cost more than the commission I'd make in a month (or more). International calls made in Mexico are MORE expensive than they are made in the U.S. E-mail and PMs on the other hand save time and money. I don't have to spend a cent more to send an e-mail or use MSN messenger or AIM.
    Even if the cost for the international call were less than one month's commission. it wouldn't work due to cash flow issues. SAS, for example only pays by check. (no paypal or international deposit) I won't get my check for at least 2 months after actually earning a commission. I haven't for example gotten my check issued on the 20th of last month.

lostdeviant, this may be taking the thread entirely off topic (my apologies), but have you considered getting a voice over IP phone? My wife's family is overseas and she spends at least an hour a week talking with them. We pay a flat $24.99 a month and those calls cost nothing extra.

No need to reply and take things further off track. Just thought it might be something you could check out.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Voice over IP systems bought in mexico cost about double. (at least with the extra fees) I could buy one in the US but then I'd have to pay the shipping and customs charges. Plus that would be $25/mo additional expense on top of that I currently pay for a local phone. If I could cancel the mexican phone I would, but it comes with the apartment and the owner doesn't allow it to be changed. Really the main issue is the late payment causing cashflow issues. If I could get paid right away with PayPal or deposit to a Mexican bank account then I could justify the additional expense. I'm concerned enough to start looking for a smaller apartment and throw out the furniture that won't fit.
    Please no more comment on this it really doesn't belong in this thread. (Moderators - perhaps these two posts could be in a new thread?)

Give John and Paper.com a break. He admits to past problems and is reaching out to make things better. Good luck John!

By the way, I wrote him and he answered very quickly.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Ever since they moved to SAS the AFFILIATE emails I get are NOT designed for affiliates

There's no links. No banners.

They are clearly emails that customer get.

Assuming that, I try to unsubscribe, but their unsubscribe link always results in "We're sorrt, but that email isn't in our database and can't be removed. Ahhhh! So it IS a "customer" email!!

Nope.

Below the useless unsubscribe links is

This message was sent by one of
    your Merchant Partners, paper.com,
    at www.shareasale.com.

If you do not wish to receive email from this Merchant,
    please remove yourself from their Affiliate Program.

aargh - so it's sent on purpose.

Every single email I respond with "What are affiliates supposed to do with this? No links. No banners. Lots of Live Chat buttons. Lot's of big Buy Now buttons

I've never rec'd a response. Not once. Not ever.

So today I said, if they want to put large live chat buttons on these affiliate emails, maybe they want me to click them.

Chat InformationWelcome to Paper.com! An online representative will be with you shortly. You are number 1 in the queue. Your wait time will be approximately 0 minute(s) and 5 seconds. Thank you for waiting.
    Chat InformationYou have reached Paper.com's Live Chat section. You are now chatting with 'Martin'.
    PapercomRep Hello. Thank you for visiting Paper.com, your online source for quality paper products. We have over 40,000 paper and office products available. Is your chat regarding an existing order? If so please indicate your 6-digit purchase order number.

billy: pls dont copy anp paste...just straight answers
    billy: i'm an affiliate...
    billy: why do you send me affiliate emails with chat buttons?
    P
    apercomRep What do you mean?

billy: affiliate emails are supposed to have coupons and links
    billy: not a button for live chat
    billy: what am i supposed to do with it?

PapercomRep Were sorry, that's a standard on our signatures.
    PapercomRep Disregard the chat buttons unless you really need it.

billy: whats the email address of the affiliate manager?
    billy: no one ever responds to the one he uses...
    billy: Subject: Let the Light Shine Through Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:53:13 -0400 (EDT) From: affiliates@paper.com To: billy's email address.com

PapercomRep Please stand by while I search the item that you requested.
    PapercomRep Browse our new category of photo papers for great-looking photos and projects! http://www.paper.com/category/office...graphic-papers

billy: what the hec is that for?

PapercomRep Sorry to keep you waiting. We thank you for your patience. Please stay in chat and I'll be with you shortly. In the mean time, you might be looking for volume pricing for your office supplies requirements!. Ask for a catalog with multiple-column pricing options or set up a corporate account today!
    PapercomRep sorry for the automated response
    PapercomRep Let me get you the Marketing manager who
    PapercomRep The emails are for, if you're interested in setting up an account with us, we could do it for you or directly using our web site.

billy: thanks... i've copied your response

PapercomRep ok no problem.

billy: i'll post it on affiliate forums...

PapercomRep Yes I seen the email.

PapercomRep You didn't have to copy my personal response, if you have concerns with that email I suggest you email our Marketing Department who sent you that email in the first place.
    PapercomRep thanks....

billy: as i said
    billy: they've NEVER responded to an email
    billy: not once - not ever
    billy: since there are two GIANT chat buttons in the email - I gave it a shot...
    billy: have a nice day

PapercomRep Sorry to keep you waiting. We thank you for your patience. Please stay in chat and I'll be with you shortly. In the mean time, you might be looking for volume pricing for your office supplies requirements!. Ask for a catalog with multiple-column pricing options or set up a corporate account today!
    PapercomRep Browse our new category of photo papers for great-looking photos and projects! http://www.paper.com/category/office...graphic-papers
    PapercomRep Hi Billy

billy: hello

PapercomRep Can I help you out with anything else?

billy: no was hoping, since the affiliate emails have nothing but live chat buttons, that live chat would answer my questions
    billy: guess not
    billy: and i'll remove and replace your name before posting

PapercomRep Sorry if we do not have the answer for everything sir. I try to answer what I know.
    PapercomRep Thanks anyway

attached is a reduced image of their affiliate emails. what does everyone else do with them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe they are a subsidiary of Dunder-Mifflin. That would explain a lot...

I recently was involved with a PTA function where it was my job to purchase a LARGE (10,000 ) quantity of cardstock paper. I first called as me ( iownie ) and left a message and never got any response.

I then called as Scott Paul, Founder of the International Scrapbooking Association, thinking maybe because we promote the hell out of them on MANY scrapbooking sites and left a detailed message of wanting a real human voice for my large order.

Again, NO RESPONSE!

Sad part is the owner probably isn't even aware of these issues and how people like us get pissed off at such HORRIBLE customer service.

I won't be promoting them....ever again.

Paper.com Agrees with that
    I am one of the owners of Paper.com

I am the one who asked my marketing department to start sending the Promotion emails to our Shareasale affiliate list because I want some of the affiliates who don't seem to be selling to understand why they are not selling. I thought it would be helpful to share some of the coupons which are available. A clever affiliate would either share the COUPON CODE in his or her emails, or on his or her affiliate site. Shareasale does not make it easy for me to post these short term offers and THAT IS WHY you only see some of the long term coupons posted on Shareasale.

I assume if you opt out of emails in SHAREASALE that you won't get any more correspondance from us. If that is not the case then let me, and everyone else on this forum know so we can take steps to remove you manually.

This message was sent by one of
    your Merchant Partners, paper.com,
    at www.shareasale.com.

If you do not wish to receive email from this Merchant,
    please remove yourself from their Affiliate Program.

-shareasale.com

Opting out of emails is not an option

Whatever you send, we're forced to receive

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: The Best Gift for the Best Mom
    Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:30:55 -0700
    To: affiliates-at-paper.com
    References: <31392906.1209160556561.JavaMail.SYSTEM@win19679>

Subject: Re: A Touch of the Orient
    Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:12:10 -0700
    References: <19955552.1210111568847.JavaMail.SYSTEM@win19679>

Subject: Re: Let the Light Shine Through
    Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:34:58 -0700
    References: <12426985.1211489593155.JavaMail.SYSTEM@win19679>

Who at paper com gets emails addressed to affiliates at paper com, and more importantly, why don't they ever respond????????

I am looking through all of BILLY's chats and I don't think I could have answered his question any better. What exactly were you asking, BILLY? I own Paper.com and I am looking at the transcript up above and you didn't ask them HOW to use SHAREASALE and frankly, that is something perhaps best answered by SHAREASALE anyway. Next time instead of complaining that there are too many LIVECHAT buttons and BUY NOW buttons, maybe you should ask the customer service rep "How can I modify the link to get credit for this sale in SHAREASALE because I am an affiliate and I find that all of your links are generic?" That is a question that would probably have gotten you to the affiliate marketing manager and he would probably have referred your inquiry to me and I would have answered that you should take YOUR shareasale link to Paper.com and substitute it for all of the links in that email, and that if you would like I can help construct a COMPOUND link to things like CHAT such that you could get credit for the sale if it went through a chat. Then I would be getting that necessary feedback from my affiliates that helps me help you to promote us. Reading through your chat transcripts above does not tell me anything about what your problem is. It just looks like a lot of whining. Oh, and you are right. We don't care if you call and say you are the President of some Scrapbooking Association or just a regular guy buying some paper. Sorry, but we are just not set up to recognize you as some VIP. In fact, I can't find any orders from you in the system.

So, would you like to try again and maybe we can start some sort of constructive dialogue as to how to get you the specific SAS links you need or get you removed from our mailing list?

Dear Jengel199 - wow are you the rudest affiliate manager I have ever met. Just to let you know, you just publicly chastised a VERY INTELLIGENT affiliate....when he has questions, you would do best for your program to answer them, and do it immediately. For that matter it shouldn't matter if it Billy Kay asking or Iownie, or some affiliate who has NEVER generated a sale. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE POLITE and be AVAILABLE to your affiliates. But posting publicly on ABW the type of response you just did, makes it clear to ALL affiliates what kind of manager they are dealing with.

Perhaps if you had spent anytime in the Affiliate World learning what affiliates want and need, you wouldn't have behaved in such a way just now.

Also Iownie - who is NOT Billy - tried to call you as a customer and place a LARGE order and your complete lack of communication with a new potential customer does not leave much room for affiliates to feel confident that any customers they send to you will actually convert to a sale, but to top it off with how you just treated a truly great affiliate.....all I can say is WOW

Perhaps do a little research before going off on your affiliates - http://www.revenuetoday.com/readarti...he+Fast+Talker

(I asked permission to post the link to the revenue magazine article)

http and a telephoto
    Jengel199,

Apparently you need to look around the Shareasale interface as an affiliate and see what your options are and are not. It has already been pointed out that affiliates cannot opt out of merchant newsletters or emails, they have to drop your program to do so.

This particular affiliate is very good at construction Shareasale custom links, as are other affiliates that are in this thread. The points made were not whining, they were legitimate. You might want to consider creating a list for your affiliates to join if they want to opt in to your *customer* emails. Affiliate communications should be just that, *affiliate* communications with *affiliate* coded links in them. If you need assistance constructing emails for your affiliates you might want to hire a consultant short term, or hire the Shareasale internal team either short or long term.

Live chat is a huge issue on websites, customer service is a VERY HUGE issue to affiliates because if your site/company has bad customer service, then your company will not convert well. And if it doesn't convert, or there are a lot of returns, then that makes it not worthwhile for affiliates to promote your company.

You might want to settle in and do some reading here at ABestWeb to learn some merchant best practices. There are a lot of affiliates here that have sites that would do well to promote your company, and other people on this forum that need large quantities of your products. How you present yourself could make or break those potential relationships.

And have you verified with the forum admin your identity, so we know you are who you say you are and not a competitor trying to get paper.com in trouble?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast