Question Do you market to "Christmas" or just "Holiday?"
    First, this may only pertain to affiliates marketing within the US, but have a look anyway...

I know a lot of us here pretend to know (or actually do), what kind of people visit our web sites. We think we know what they want. Of course, some of us use the "It's what I like" marketing model. You know the one where if it looks good to you, then everybody must like it

Well, here's a question for you. Do you go to the trouble of marketing "Christmas" this Christmas season, or just say things like "Happy Holidays" to cover all the bases? You know, put up some green and red colors up in the corner, maybe a little garland hanging from your navigation...

Many of us think that we should say Holiday, instead of Christmas. Do you? Well, I looked at the numbers this afternoon (the marketing numbers that is), and it surprised me. I'll post those numbers after a few folks have responded.

Merry Christmas...Uh... Happy Holidays everyone !

Fred

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Both but mostly Christmas.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm a conservative born again -Catholic ... so both parts of Christmass apply. I like to mix it up hoping to offend some on both sides of this issue. Thow up Happy Holdays .. Animated Christmas wreaths and feature collectable Chrismas Trees, some general gifting items and then throw in some fur coats to startle liberal shoppers. Basically just the good stuff... Cheap.
    Last edited by ecomcity; December 1st, 2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I promote to "WANTS" and "NEEDS".

People WANT and NEED stuff all the time, not just in December.

I use both.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Both.
    ~Ernie

I market Yule.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have categories for

Christmas Stockings
    Christmas Trees
    Christmas Ornaments
    Christmas Gifts

Using the word Holiday looks wrong

The one giving ME a hard time is:

Chanukah Gifts
    or
    Hanukkah Gifts

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    I have been reading a bit about the backlash and boycotting of companies who use terms like "seasons greetings' or "happy holiday's instead of Christmas.

For a generic site with products that people could buy during this time of year I would probably use happy holidays or something like that. I do however, detest the word Xmas.

I celebrate Christmas, send Christmas cards, go Christmas shopping yet, feel kind of blasphemous (sp?) using the term Christmas to make money.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If I changed my sites for Christmas, I'd still be finding Santas up next July. Or even in July 2007! So I just leave most things as-is.

That said, when I do put up something that says something specific, it says Christmas! "Happy Holidays" is a pathetic washed-out version. *grumble mumble grumble*

WordTracker says:
    Christmas: 16,110 searches/day
    Holiday: 6,734 searches/day (and this would include UKers who actually mean what the US calls "vacation!")

Christmas Gifts: 2640 searches/day
    Holiday Gifts: 935.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I know a lot of us here pretend to know (or actually do), what kind of people visit our web sites. We think we know what they want. Of course, some of us use the "It's what I like" marketing model. You know the one where if it looks good to you, then everybody must like it
    For some of my sites I do know what kind of people come. For others, it's pretty easy to surmise. And for still others, I end up surprised at what goes over.

As for "it's what I like," there is no marketing method that everybody likes. So, except for a couple of exceptions, I do marketing the way I like, figuring that enough buyers will agree to make it worthwhile. The ones who don't, oh well, can't please everybody anyway, so I'm not going to lose sleep over them.

Product-wise, though, I put up what I think will sell. Whether I'd ever buy it for myself is irrelevant. For instance, just because I'd NEVER EVER in a million years, willingly go shussing through the snow, is no reason to keep people from being able to buy skis through my links...
    Last edited by Leader; December 1st, 2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added WordTracker results

Christmas, all the way. That's the holiday I celebrate (along with most others in the US), so that's the holiday I promote.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I am in the Christmas mood too.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted last December that noted 94-percent of Americans celebrate Christmas. So it looks like ABW members are right on.

Merry Christmas.

By the way, I'm with Leader. My web site Christmas lights would be up at least through July

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I promote to "WANTS" and "NEEDS".

People WANT and NEED stuff all the time, not just in December.
    Well said. But just that people Want and Need stuff more in December than other months.

If I put Christmas on my non-mundane sites, people would be turned off to the extreem!

I might have guys in black robes burning pentagrams in my front yard!

I don't change the mundane sites at all.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SSanf... Is Mundane one of your Holidays?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

My husband and I just had this discussion about how everything is Happy Holidays as opposed to Merry Christmas.

I couldn't care either way BUT I grew up with a Turkish mother of muslim desent(?) and an american christian father, we celebrated christmas but to all of our turkish friends(and there are many!) we celebrate the "holidays". Which is just a time to celebrate with family and friends and be thankful for each others company.

My websites I do the same as Leader since if I put up any holiday specific thing it would still be there 5 months later unless its a dynamic banner!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

When I wrote my gift guide I mentioned all 4 holidays coming up.
    Christmas the 25th
    Chanukah (however you spell it)
    Kwanza
    and Jan 6th 3 wise men day

Christmas

Happy holidays sounds embarassingly PC. I've a very good Hindu friend and we celebrate Diwali with them because that's the occasion. I wouldn't wish them happy holidays and they don't wish us happy holidays either, but Happy Christmas as that's the occasion we're celebrating.

I add some Christmassy stuff to my top banner and page includes and have a few pages about Christmas, enough to make the effort, not enough to forget something and leave it for months afterwards.

"Xmas" isn't as bad as it sounds, apparently it comes from the Greek for Christ "Xristos" and became shorthand.

I call it Christmas.

The only decorating I do is to change my banner/logo according to the season (adding a flag for the 4th of July, hearts for Valentine's Day, a snowman for winter, etc.). My banner is set up in a page include, so I change it once and it updates on all my pages. The rest of the site is neutral, so whatever I do in the header sets the theme.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    I call it Christmas.

The only decorating I do is to change my banner/logo according to the season (adding a flag for the 4th of July, hearts for Valentine's Day, a snowman for winter, etc.). My banner is set up in a page include, so I change it once and it updates on all my pages. The rest of the site is neutral, so whatever I do in the header sets the theme.
    Perfect ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Another poll found that 35 percent of Jews have christmas trees every year. Apparently many of those who comprise the six-percent above, who do not celebrate Christmas, still treat the 25th as a day for giving presents anyway. Ssanf, do you guys give gifts to each other on Christmas?

Fred

I am doing Holiday Seasons on some sites, Christmas Celebrations on others, depending on the products.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread