Sharper Image & Upromise
    Goto SharperImage.com and add anything to your cart and Checkout

At the bottom of the page, you'll notice a banner that says:

Join Upromise and get 3% back for college everytime you shop at Sharper Image

Click on it and Sharper Image will instruct you to signup for Upromise, goto Shopping and click on the Sharper Image link to get 3%.

Guess what happens to your commissions?

Sharper Image's response:

The uPromise relationship we have is completely separate from the Linkshare affiliate
    program. The logo agreement is in conjunction with an offline relationship we have
    with them. You'll see their logo in our stores as well.

These logos will not be removed.

I'm sorry if we have to lose you as an affiliate because of this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

~Natalie Pietrzykowski
    Internet Marketing Manager
    nataliep@sharperimage.com

15 years and counting
    It has been going on for some time. Just disgusting. This people have no respect for their affiliates. They are not worth our time. Let Upromise promote them.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    It has been going on for some time. Just disgusting. This people have no respect for their affiliates. They are not worth our time. Let Upromise promote them.
    Exactly!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Exactly, if all affiliates drop sharper image then they will see there bottom line drop. over 1 million affiliates vs Upromise. I wonder what would happen if all abestweb members drop Sharper Image today because of there upromise relationship, that would be interesting....

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    appreciation for acquiring new customers is nearing extinction.

kick backs, split between consumers and folks like upromise, to people at the cart already is ludicrous.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    and just in time for the heaviest Christmas sales...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Pathetic they'd actually take a slotting fee from Upromise to infest their affiliate and type-in shopper's systems with this BHO. Don't they understand they are embedding and endorsing a double dipping commission thief right into their shopping cart. Upromise will then forever popup all their direct competitors, while force setting the Upromise cookie on all bookmarks, type-in -TV Ad URLs and BHO glitches. Brilliant move for this company knowing they're giving TOP COMMISSION RATE to these wanks.

Guess some AM's firmly believe affiliate marketing is all about coupons -incentives and loyality BHO clubs mating up with the SEM trademark exploiters. Like the folks said ... let Upromise buy some PPCSE exposure and build SERP pages to suppliment the popup hijacked traffic for the sweet house deal. They're a friggin force more then capable of guaranteeing Sharper Image pays a premium on the sales not made by other Top Moxie BHO's tuned to those contextual triggers.

ps; Linkshare tracking is the only way Upromise can get paid for kiting sales, so that "special arrangement" crapolla reeks of spin.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deals2005

Sharper Image's response:

The uPromise relationship we have is completely separate from the Linkshare affiliate
    program. The logo agreement is in conjunction with an offline relationship we have
    with them. You'll see their logo in our stores as well.

These logos will not be removed.

I'm sorry if we have to lose you as an affiliate because of this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

~Natalie Pietrzykowski
    Internet Marketing Manager
    nataliep@sharperimage.com
    Fiesty broad huh......I betcha she is a red head..........snazzy

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this.

I was just considering signing back up with them.

They called me this week asking me to rejoin - guess now I have a reason not to!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    Thanks for posting this.

I was just considering signing back up with them.

They called me this week asking me to rejoin - guess now I have a reason not to!
    I dropped them a few years ago for non-conversion, if not I would have dropped them now, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks for this tidbit . . . they're being dropped and sent this thread too . . . the *******s

Outsourced Program Manager
    Short Term vs. Long Term
    Aside from the well documented competition with other affiliates in her program, what Natalie does not realize is that Upromise dilutes the lifetime value of her customers. I won't go into it here, I wrote a long post of my philosopy here under the title "Outsourcing Your Soul" (still rough) on www.ecommerceknowledge.com, but the gist of it is that Upromise is building loyalty subverting any customer loyalty to SharperImage.

In essence, the next time a surfer is thinking of a gift, where are they going to start their shopping? Answer: Upromise NOT SharperImage. SharperImage will continue to pay a share of the revenue for the same customer over and over again thus giving away some of the lifetime value they would normally reap if they had the relationship with the customer. Now either SharperImage needs to acquire more new customers or increase the repeat purchases of the first customer to offset what they are paying to Upromise. Basically, Natalie is mortgaging the future of SharperImage in order to hit her numbers *this* quarter. Welcome to the idiotic quarter focused mentatility of business today and the naivety of online marketers.

Upromise is eating away at the SharperImage business bit by bit over time. Smart affiliate marketers know that the new vs. repeat beast lurks in the shadows and are fortifying their business models to provide long term value to the merchants by continuing to send new customers at a higher rate than repeats. I believe Coldwater Creek and Overstock have addressed this in their compensation structure historically and I expect them to continue to do so in the future.

You can disagree, but my thinking is that this dynamic will greatly shape the future of our livelihoods (affiliates and merchants alike) in the not too distant future.

Thanks for info....and poof

They are dropped.

Also emailed why and the link to this thread... taking bwc lead
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Anyone know how long this has been going on? My Sharper Image sales have plummeted over the past year...even with similar traffic and click-thrus. I'd dump them, but Hammacher Schlemmer doesn't sell that well...and takes FOREVER to ship.

15 years and counting
    AAnnAArchy - My Sharper Image sales have plummeted over the past year...even with similar traffic and click-thrus.
    I can't be 100% affirmative, I don't have such a good memory, but it seems I removed my links around that time last year after noticing uPromise cute logo and links on each of their pages.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Anyone know how long this has been going on?
    I posted about it last year. And Anne had posted the year before.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=26982

Makes it seem doubtful that SharperImage will be changing their stance on it.

Nice response from the AM! Looks like she really cares about fair compensation for affiliates in the program.

Now I know why their sales have dropped substantially over the past year. bye bye....
    "Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

I also think it's time to drop them as they are just taking up valuable space on my site. Besides they have been a real crappy converter for me so it's no loss really. Upromise can have them boots and all as far as I'm concerned.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread