Can you recomend a site for dummies?
    I need to understand "what a dynamic script does and how php takes data from a MySQL table on the server."

Please, remember that I don't even know what the sentence I just wrote means!!!

Where do I start.

Please don't sugest that I go buy a book.

I really can't read them. I have trifocals, distance vision to drive, close vision for medicine bottles and mid vision that I had to choose to either be able to read books or the computer and the computer won!

I need something I can read online.

And, NO! Reading glasses from the drug store won't work because they aren't made strong enough for me to read books! So, thanks in advance for that suggestion, anyway. Unfortunately, old age sucks. But, it beats the alternative.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Manager
    Not to long ago I was in the same boat... now I can pretty much do anything I need with PHP and MySQL. Like learning anything else you need to first learn the basics before the advanced stuff. The best way to learn is hands on like I did... I just kept making my own "neat" little things and learned as I went along and participated in some PHP forums.

The best place to start would be the PHP website where they show you some simple tutorials with forms.

http://us2.php.net/tut.php

You could try out the free video tutorials on vtc.com - use the search box to find tutorials on both PHP and MySQL, and each course has about a dozen or so free Quicktime tutorials to watch and listen to.

The tutorials start out gently and obviously the meaty stuff comes later, and isn't free, but the free stuff should be enough to help you find your legs and better understand other training material.

"what a dynamic script does and how php takes data from a MySQL table on the server."

A dynamic script is just that... dynamic. Rather than a static HTML page that looks the same every time you use it, a dynamic script is a program that is run every time the page is viewed, and the output of the script is sent to the browser.

Couple that with a database, which lets you build queries to return data, and you're essentially returning information from the DB in a pretty format each time the page is it.

As for how to start, it depends on what you know about programming. If nothing, the tutorials at PHP.net are a good place to start. As someone else mentioned, picking a few projects to cut your teeth on is a good way to start. For instance, create a website that lets you track your time. You probably already know what it has to do, and it can be done in small steps as you learn the language.

Of course, chatting with people on the forums is a good way to learn, but judging by your posting stats, you don't need help with that!

Sean

Thank you!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I started with the webmonkey mysql/php tutorials:
    http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/p...tutorial4.html

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread