ABW Ambassador
    The Latest on the Lillian Vernon Chat Window
    I showed a few sales for LV, apparently from links still up for an item that's an LV exclusive, and decided to check it out, since it's been a long while since I've seen any LV sales.

I clicked onto the LV site from the LS interface and the window turned up. I clicked to chat and asked the rep if she realized that when they take orders they're doing affiliates out of the commission they'd get if their customers ordered through the cart. She said, "No, we don't take affiliate commissions away."

I asked her if she was aware that I'd clicked through from LS and she replied no, that it was just flagged as "affiliate" and that's all she would know.

In short (I do have the transcript saved), what she told me is that when customers come in from an affiliate link it's flagged as "affiliate" and they don't take the order. They'll still help find things and give the discount, but won't take the order through the window.

In all fairness, I have to say that last year there was an issue I contacted Mary Melian about and she immediately resolved it for me (favorably) so I'm inclined to respect her and trust that her personal intentions toward affiliates are responsible and favorable. Her quick response and attention last year earned that, so credit is due when it's deserved.

I'm inclined to believe the rep in the window that they won't take orders from customers if they're flagged arriving through an affiliate link, but have no idea what happens on return visits, if they remain flagged because of the cookies. But with the fast purchases people do for holiday shopping, while it should be tested, it isn't an immediate concern for me now personally, because I'm concentrating on holiday products right now and that season is almost finished.

Just thought it only right and fair to mention that there has been somewhat of a change, though it's my opinion that we can thank MM for that - not corporate.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I jumped all over LV - and will ALWAYS do what I can to get rid of LiveChat - for all the reasons already discussed in other threads.

But I put up a test link in November:

190 13.30% 21 49 0 11.05% $1,031.12

It converted at 11%

If it was 0.001 percent, I'd be yelling, but 11% - WITH LiveChat - is ok

ABW Ambassador
    Billy, that's very impressive.

I've had just scattered pages up for specific products, but they did well regularly until last year and I just started getting a few sales a few days ago (even with some links up that I deliberately broke). Until that point last year I could count on some LV sales more regularly than most.

That chat window was very aggravating, because the product lines are a great fit for certain demographics, and I've got a new site still being worked on and needing more merchants and pages that's doing fine so far, since the week it went up.

LV products are a perfect fit to put up almost all over that site. I've had several months worth of stats already to know what my visitors are looking for and how they're searching, and looking through the LV site there's a boatload of stuff that's right on target, especially for specifics. So I'm delighted with this turn of events and keeping fingers crossed.

If what the chat gal said is actually so, then they won't be hurting conversions - unless return days will be affected, which they may or may not be. But going by your figures, it looks like it's sure worth putting links up at this point.
    Last edited by webworker; December 3rd, 2005 at 11:41 PM.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Webworker

Don't make any decisions based on ONE affiliate's results

My feeling? If I had faith in LiveChat, there would be more then ONE link on my site.

It's there as a favor to someone at Linkshare - and because Mary has shown she cares

But she could quit tomorrow

ABW Ambassador
    Don't make any decisions based on ONE affiliate's results
    Billy, I wouldn't - just like I don't for Overstock.

I'd base them on past experience with LV (before the "Window of Doom"), and knowing my own visitors, what they like and look for, and what they tend to buy.

Current figures:
    November - 749 impr/129 clicks/13.59%/2 sales
    Both at the very tail end of the month, with only a couple of links up.

December - 95 impr/14 clicks/14.74%/1 sale
    Still just a couple of odd links up, for very specific products (and still some broken links that'll be fixed).

But she could quit tomorrow
    I hope not, because I believe she's an honest woman who cares and can be trusted. But if that happened and it reverted back, links can come down - just as they did with ALL the Overstock links except 1 for a specific product by brand name (that pulls traffic on the mis-spelling) that's not available anywhere else.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread