Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    How Is Your Handwriting These Days?
    Anyone else notice a dramatic decline in their penmanship since they got a computer?

I used to have great hand writing until I got a computer when I just started typing everything and then printing it out. I started working on sending out my Christmas cards and this is the only time I ever actualy hand write my letters anymore. My hand begins to hurt after about 5 words and my writing gets to be unreadable after 10 words or so.

I feel sorry for the people that are getting Christmas cards from me. Hope they gots them "bad writing" reading specticles on!

But hey, it's the thought that counts right?

ABW Ambassador
    Handwriting Fine ... but my back space button doesn't work
    This is strange, having studied all of the different ideas going into fonts, the actual quality of my handwriting improved.

The killer problem I have is my dependence on the back space. I can't write a full line without backing up several times ... so hand written letters look atrocious.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My handwriting has always stunk. My "n"s look like "u"s and my "m"s look like "w"s. Then last year I got tendinitis of the thumb in my right hand. It's pretty much fixed but there's still some tightness in the thumb which just makes everything worse.

I don't think relying on typing has made a significant difference. What makes the biggest difference for me is the type of pen I use. I'm partial to Pilot Razorpoints and Bic Crystal, but my writing instrument of choice is a mechanical .

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    Anyone else notice a dramatic decline in their penmanship since they got a computer?
    Scary, huh? My penmanship is seriously warped now. Used to be rather nice ... it's like I don't know how to write anymore without a keyboard. My kids have a hard time, too. Most of their school work is done on the computer and their penmanship is atrocious, too.

Good luck with the Christmas cards ... maybe just sign your name?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I can envision that one day people won't even know what it means to write anything down. As in, "what's a pen?"

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepestblue
    I can envision that one day people won't even know what it means to write anything down. As in, "what's a pen?"
    uh huh.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    "what's a pen?"
    Ya, what's a pen? Isn't that the place convicts go to? The Pen

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    My 6 year old has much better handwriting than I do. Guess who's filling out all the cards? ho, ho, ho!

Handwriting? What's that?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    I have to write a check now and then. It is so funny when I do because it is almost illegible.
    What's even more strange is I can't seem to spell when I am writing and do fine when I am typing.

What?

How Is Your Handwriting These Days?

Come on Chet,

That question is an invasion of privacy! Don't you know about the: "Don't ask, Don't tell" slogan?

But ok, since you asked, here is my answer to that question.

How Is My Handwriting These Days?

Well, I used to be an ambidextrous with my penmanship until the late 80's, but ever since I started playing with computers, I realized that I don't really need all 10 fingers to actualy write anything anymore, all I need is just 3 fingers at the most.

One to type anything.

Two, only when I need to capitalize a letter, but I can still use one, and press the (caps lock key).

Three, only to restart (reboot) the computer, but I can always hit the reset button with just one finger.

So while I can admit that my ambidextrous penmanship has seriously degraded, the only thing I miss is the handwritten love letters from the past and the few times that I have to write a check by hand.

Looking on the bright side of no handwriting a letter:

With only one finger, you can type, spell check, copy, paste, duplicate, print, email, even snail-mail a letter, and not even lick seal the envelope or lick the stamp.

Welcome to the 21st. Century! Now we can throw away our 's and 's for now, (Unless we lose our electrical power for a few days.) we don't need them anymore!

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    My handwriting is worse than a 5 year old's. I can't even read my own writing. Thankfully, my 6 year old can write on my behalf.

Mine started from a pretty low point and has now gone seriously downhill.

The first 5 words (10 if I really concentrate) are not too bad, but then I have problems reading it myself sometimes.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Thank god for the computer. I always scored bad in school because of my handwriting, don't have to bother about it anymore... I'm wondering how long it has been since I actually wrote something on a paper using a pen! seems like it has been ages
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

The only thing i write "joined up" now is my signature, anything else I "have" to write is printed.

I agree penmenship...is on the decline..

while i dont write essays or even long letter.... I never did becuase of my poor penmenship.... because of computers i write more then I ever did 100's of times more..

I now send long letters via email or print them out and send them via snail mail.. something I just would'nt do before computers and printers....

as for my penmanship...it's still pretty bad... but I'm lazy and I dont care much how it looks.... even though i write lots a lot... I usually plan out my nav. on paper with a flow chart... especially for my static sites..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

My handwriting got so bad I had to sign up for direct deposit with all my programs because I would not be able to tell my name when signing the checks and neither could the bank teller lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My penmanship (hand printing) was always awful, so I quit doing it by hand (as much as possible) long before I started using computers. Teachers were sooo impressed that I "took the time" to type out my essays! Ha-ha, actually it took me 1/10th the time, and came out much better that way.

Now it looks about the same as ever, except now my hand cramps after about 5 words and therefore I cuss it--and avoid it--even more than I used to.

The only thing i write "joined up" now is my signature, anything else I "have" to write is printed.
    I've always avoided writing in cursive. As soon as they quit trying to make me write that way (the requirement was dropped in 5th grade), that was the end of it. Then in 6th grade I discovered that wonderful machine: The typewriter!

(No, NOT a "word processor" or "word processing machine," a real bona-fide typewriter )

<--Not as old as that makes me seem!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Network Rep
    My handwriting sucks! But it always has, even before computers. Think block printed letters for the most part, since I can't even read my cursive.

What's weird is that the way my dad and brother write letters looks exactly like mine - even we can't tell the difference between us.
    [FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Jennifer
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    e. [EMAIL=jenniferk@shareresults.com]jenniferk@shareresults.com[/EMAIL]
    t. 514-849-8595
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]
    "Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." William Safire[/LEFT][/FONT]

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Funny you say that! I was just whining about the same thing the other day.

As a kid my teachers always commented on how nice my penmanship was (or manship I suppose back then, before we were ALLOWED to use pens at school).

I was doing the EXACT same thing last night... writing my greeting cards and I thought GAWD i should figure out how to print labels from my All in One PSC at home... would make life SO bloody much easier! haha

But - then it's also less impersonal.

Having said that, I totally relate to the hand cramps and chicken scratch after about a half a greeting card. Sigh. What have we come to?

Oh.. mine are like baby handwriting. Guess my handwriting never grew up.

My penmanship has gone down hill. Writing checks is not bad, I figure if they want my money they don't care what my handwriting is like. I hate when I have to write a letter to my kids school or teacher. Usually takes at least 3 drafts before I feel like it's acceptable.

Years of keeping score for a men's softball league got me in the habit of writing clearly with block letters. To this day, I tend to write very legibly with block letters, though my signature continues to be a source of embarrassment for my wife.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast