lurk
    Commission/Bonus... What to ask for?
    Just to get you up to date... I have been working for the same company for four years now. Initially I started doing webdesign/programming although over the last couple years my interests have segued into Internet Marketing. I recently saw a posting on craigslist that I felt I was qualified for, which offered a much higher salary than I am currently paid. When my current company learned that I was goign to leave, they countered and said they would match the pay for me to stay and give me free reign to do what I need to as far as Internet Marketing goes.

So basically what my core tasks would be is to manage lead generation (through advertising and AM) and grow the affiliate base. Also, to rebrand and promote completly a side company that is essentially just a store. This would also entail creating and growing the affiliate program.

Basically what I have to work off as far as performance bonuses go is the growth of incoming leads, and the growth of the store. So what would be reasonable for me to ask? If I were to ask for x% of online sales as it grows what is a good median? 3% 5% more? What can I say is 'industry standard'?

Any input or past experience on this would help tons.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by jrod805; December 5th, 2005 at 02:31 PM.
    Jason

Internet Cowboy
    It all depends on your company's margins and volume. If you ask for 3% of online sales and online sales are $10,000,000, that is a salary of $300,000 and might be too much.

I would find a comparable job, then structure the bonuses for growth etc. to supercede the pay of the comparable job by about 40%. Make it worth your time to do well, and also worth the company's time. If you set goals and achieve them and your company makes more money and you got a raise to the level of the other job, then beat that by 40% in performance incentives, you have done well.

This is a very broad question you have asked here. Figure out what you want to make, what you feel like you can do performance-wise, then put them together in a proposal for the boss. They have already proven they want you to stay, so you have a large negotiating advantage.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    It all depends on your company's margins and volume. If you ask for 3% of online sales and online sales are $10,000,000, that is a salary of $300,000 and might be too much.
    The sales for the site aren't significant. It is a small company aside from our main company which has a large client base I will be able to market to directly.

I think I'm going to go with 3% initially. Also, I don't think it's standard to come into a new job and recieve 3% on net revenue, but on the difference in revenue you are accountable for correct? I.e. If I were hired on to a company with $10Mm of monthly sales yet I did not increase the sales for month one, my bonus would equate to $0.00. Although, if I were to increase sales by $10,000 my bonus would be $300. In which case, if I were to increase sales by $10Mm, a $300k salary would be easily justifiable. At least that's how I think it is generally structured, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for you input!
    Jason

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread