anyone use a cms?
    My sites are mostly content-based, and I am thinking of switching from hand-coding pages to using a cms. Any advice, experience, dire predictions?

i use virtuanews

The core of our content system runs on a database-driven platform called TMS Publisher. Our technical manager stripped it done and customized the heck out of it. It works like a charm and has proven relatively easy to integrate into the other systems that run in the background.

With a bit of creative coding some of the blog software like Wordpress and Moveable works kinda nice, especially if your sites aren't very deep. I've had some success that way...

-Lee

Lee Gientke
    Affiliate Manager
    www.ProHealth.com/shop
    805/564-3064x212
    lgientke@prohealth.com

I use E107 from www.e107.org . I had every feature needed, a easy to use admin system and over 200 plugins. This is developed by a community of thousands so its not too shabby

Mambo now split into Joomla! is pretty robust also with thousands of plugins.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

So does the cms really save you time/headache? Is it easy to add any coding like adsense and other affiliate links that may be embedded in iframes, etc?

I use wordpress for our content management. The changeover was time consuming (several hours) but easy enough. It's been a real time-saver come content-adding time.

I use a CMS that I wrote for a big publishing company about 5 years ago. I've customized the heck out of it since then, but in general I can't imagine doing sites today without some kind of content manager, even if the site is only a dozen pages.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

What are the advantages to a content manager, I guess I'm just not clear on exactly what they can do and what the hugest advantages are.

You can make a page template or two to define what the look and feel of your site is. To make a new document you can just fill out a form in the content manager and it pours what you type into the template and creates the page. Internal links, indexes, RSS feeds, affiliate links, ads...all updated automatically. Decide you want to change something in your site look and feel? Update the page template and republish...no need to edit individual files over and over.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Thank you infoTim - I guess therein lies my confusion -- I already have a 'template' in that I use SSI to include a header and footer file and never have to update individual files ... so is there really any benefit in this case?

I have a tool that has CMS integrated, but it also has other Internet marketing modules together with CMS, don't know if you need them. If you still need it, please reply here, my PMs are not activated yet

Go here http://www.opensourcecms.com/ (not an affiliate site) and you can demo lots of different cms.

I have built a couple sites for clients using Mambo.

It has a lot of power, for sure ... It can be a but confusing to get started with it, but that is becuase the feature set is so robust.

Yes, lots of plugins -- plus, it's free!

ABW Ambassador
    You can also check out Joomla - developed from Mambo.

Of course, you must checkout opensourcecms for a full comparison of all cms as suggested by dollardaze above

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread