Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Invalid credit card - What's a reasonable time frame?
    I had three reversals come through today for one merchant. All three indicated "Invalid Credit Card" for the reason. One of the transactions originated over a month ago. Does it seem reasonable to you (affiliates and merchants) that it would take a merchant over a month to ascertain that a credit card was being used improperly?

I'd like to give the merchant the benefit of the doubt but I don't see how this could happen.

15 years and counting
    Some merchants are reversing sales only once a month and we're approching the 10, they don't want to be late.
    I'm sure the merchants can see "Invalid Credit Card" in real time. If not, they are looking for problems.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks Zeus, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Any other Greek gods or goddesses have anything to add?

That's exactly what I was going to say. Merchants may see invalid credit cards almost instantly (and definitely within a few days), but most probably only process reversals once a month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    A merchant will often not know the credit card is invalid until a month or so after they have shipped the item(s).

Customers scam merchants every day by ordering, then saying they never got it or never ordered it and charging the merchant back. In cases like this, a reversal 60 days out is not out of the ordinary.

I once had my cc number compromised online (learned lots from that experience!!), and this was before I was set up online to monitor my Visa account activity. It wasn't until I got my statement a month later that I realized I hadn't just been not keeping as careful track of my card as usual (it has a $600 limit, so needs refilling on a regular basis), I'd been scammed. I immediately called all the correct numbers to shut down the number, and any merchants who listed their number on my statement or had a website I also immediately called. Still, it took another month before one of the charges was reversed. That was at least two months, almost three after the original transaction.

Then there's the time I lost my wallet and had to cancel cards. Some had automatic payments that bounced the first time. No purchases, but my long distance carrier gave me a personal call when the payment bounced due to the card number no longer being valid. That call came over a month after the card was cancelled and I already had a new card in hand.

Just my 2 pesos. Not Greek.

Yes -- I had my purse stolen once and the thieves ran over to them mall down the street and bought 2 t.v. Sets with my card. It took 2 month to get those charges reversed even though I called within minutes of realizing my purse was gone and minutes after they bought the t.v. sets.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Good merchants give customers a chance to straighten out cc issues. If something goes wrong with a cc we call the holder to findout if they want to proceed with the transaction by pursuing different payment methods. So it can sometimes be a week before transactions actually occur.

There are various possibilities / reasons... most of which have been mentioned.

1. The merchant only does reversals once per month. Client Services may know about the Invalid CC issue, but the AM might not find out until they do a monthly review of order status for the sake of the transaction list and the cut-off date approaching.

2. The cc was invalid and the company has been trying to contact the buyer to get replacement payment. This is usually the case with declined or other issues (or minor "billing info doesn't match" problems which can sometimes happen if someone abbreviates their address and it no longer matches exactly.

3. The CC was invalid, but the order processed and it wasn't until the chargeback arrived that the company realized that they'd been scammed.

I'm sure there are others, but - if I was going to rate them as to the most likely... I'd say #1 is probably your biggest cause for delays.

Because commissions are only paid out once per month, many AMs do a monthly review of all orders to see if anything happened to them. As much as we try to put into place systems that will advise us immediately if something happens, many are missed and we don't find out about the problem until we do the monthly review... right around this time of the month.

Paul

The shopping cart that I use for Kiteandwind.com won't allow the customer to get to the check out page until the card is authorized. Then, I immediatly get confirmation regarding address info and other verifying factors.

There is no reason that every merchant should be setup this way. That way the customer never hit's the confirmation page thus sending the sale information to a 3rd party and making false sales in the commission reporting.

Poopy merchants I would say with a poopy cart, and more...

Poop of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    There is no reason that every merchant should be setup this way. That way the customer never hit's the confirmation page thus sending the sale information to a 3rd party and making false sales in the commission reporting.
    Merchants that accept payment other than CC don't have checkouts that require valid CC info.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread