Keywords- How Big of A Deal?
    if i was to create a fishing website with google adsense ads im sure "fishing" adwords arent huge payers. But how much do you think i could get per click? do you suppose they would all be 5cents-10 cents each? or even less? or more. because at

5 cents per click with a CTR of 1.5% with 1000 visitors(impressions)/day would equal 75 cents/day .. not really even worth the adspace...

10 cents per click would be $1.50/day.. that'd pay for my coffee in the morning.. ands thats about it

Is 1.5% CTR way too low/high or is 5-10 cents per click way to low/high? or do i need say 5000 visitors/day. Opinions ???

5000 visitors/day 1.5% CTR @ .10 each = $7.50 day = $225 month = enough money to keep me happy

Firstly, I get the impression that the 'sole' (loose pun intended) reason you seem to want to build the site is to take advantage of Adsense. IMO AS should be treated as the icing on the cake in terms of revenue - not the reason to build the site in the first place.

Not having a fishing site myself I don't know about the CTR you mention, but based on my experience across a number of different topics I'd say a 1.5% CTR is quite low. Of the payout per click that you mention, it's hard to say. According to Overture's bid tool, the max bid for a fishing-related click varies quite a bit depending on what terms you're targetting (up to a few bucks per click for some terms I looked at). Of course this has no bearing on what you might expect from AS, but it does highlight that 'fishing' is a very broad subject so there should be lots of small niches (keywords) to exploit that will have higher paying ads. But then of course you'll have to contend with smart pricing, and hope that Google deems your site to be worthy of a bigger slice of the pie (consistently).

So irrespective of any forecasts of CTR, impressions, cents per click etc., that you think you might get, keep in mind that it could all turn to custard with one small twist of the Smart Pricing dial. Build your fishing site by all means, but build it to have as many income streams as possible to protect the hard work you put into it. You might end up making a lot more than the $225 per month.

Good luck,

Vege...

A few problems one is mentioned above as any site with just adsense is not good. Any website that is on the internet(start the flames here) has to have something of value for the user. Think user not sales that is icing.

Your ctr is about 10 times too low and your subject is too bland. why make a fishing site where your click will be 5 cents when a subject in fishing like fish finder is 20 cents.
    End of lesson lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ok so i CAN expect 5-10cents? no problem.

my plan is to have shareA Sale and Adsense generating income.. buts thats all. (any opinions??)

i have some origional ideas to make shareAsale work... but keep in mind when people are looking for content (there is a lot of content on my site) they are not really looking to buy.. i dont know a whole lot of stuff about affiliate marketing yet but at best i may make 40 bucks/month with shareAsale. so im hoping adsense will be my primary income, while things like shareAsale are secondary. If you guys think a Fishing site might make more money on affiliate programs (ie shareasale) i may re-tool the site to make a section on just selling outdoors products. i saw another site that did something like this... but me being a fisherman.. if i wanted to buy something id go to bassproshops.com not some Content Driven fishing site. like i said i have some original ideas to make SOME sales. but i cant see it being a whole lot more than 40 bucks a month considering most places are 10% commission.

opinions are definately welcomed please

oh ya.. and can i have a link to this Overture Bid Tool?

Quote Originally Posted by zibzer
    oh ya.. and can i have a link to this Overture Bid Tool?
    As they say, 'Teach a man to fish...' ... go to Google and type in 'Overture Bid Tool'. Surprisingly it's the very first entry.

Vege...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A few problems one is mentioned above as any site with just adsense is not good. Any website that is on the internet(start the flames here) has to have something of value for the user. Think user not sales that is icing.
    *Gets fuel*
    *fills flamethrower*
    *flicks a Bic*

Sales is never mere "icing" unless you're somehow enamoured with the notion of being empl*yed. If this is your business, revenue is THE POINT! (Since you asked for flames, I'll add, "what kind of Commie notion is that, to say sales aren't the point?!!" )

But. That doesn't mean that a for-adsense site has to be bland or reek of spam, not in the least. For instance, it's fairly easy to make a decent for-adsense site about any subject which you can be opinionated about. It doesn't matter what your opinion actually is--just have one! And, make darned sure that opinion is about something people pay a lot of dough on AdWords for.

If done right, only savvy internet marketers will notice that you "just happen" to have opinions about things which "coincidentally" have very high AdSense bids.

but me being a fisherman.. if i wanted to buy something id go to bassproshops.com not some Content Driven fishing site.
    YOU are using your neurons! That's exactly what real buyers do--when they want to buy, they go to a store site! So needless to say, when I want buyers, I make a store site. It's pretty much a no-brainer: Put out bait for what you want to attract. If you want to attract buyers, don't use content-moocher bait.

But for an existing content-driven site--IMO your best bet for SAS revenue (other than choice #1: just make a Real Sales-dedicated site, totally seperate from the content one!) is to hang a store off the back of the content site and pretty much promote that area seperately. Chances are, the real buyers'll never stray into the conversion-eating black hole (the content part)...at least if you refrain from putting a bunch of leaks, er, links, over to the content from the sales area (but DO put lots FROM the content into the sales area!)...

As for the content section/AdSense: AdSense revenue may vary widely! If you want high AdSense revenue, talk about high-ticket items that people will pay a bunch to promote--like fishing poles, boats, and fishing trips--a lot! But don't say too much about cheapie stuff like lures (just enough to keep the site from looking lame).

If you already have a lot of low-revenue subjects on your site (how to filet a fish, which lures to use, etc.) you will make a lot less than if you've been telling everyone about how you like to go on fishing trips at some exclusive resort with a professional fishing guide service which comes with a high-class chef who cooks your catch on the spot, all in some remote location where you have to be helicoptered in.

Or you could talk about your new [Expensive, well-known Brand/Model] fishing rod and reel, and how nice it is to cast off from the deck of your new fishing boat that has a super-quiet trolling motor and maybe a sonar fish-finder and catch a bunch of fish using your new $500 [Big Brand Name Here] tackle set.

(In other words, basically aim for sub-topics where people are trying to sell fairly expensive/expensive stuff--and therefore are motivated to bid high! And pay attention to the likely AdSense-triggering keywords in your articles!)

For the already-existing content, you're pretty much stuck with whatever it brings up. But for any NEW articles you write, it's fairly easy to do it with AdSense keywords in mind and get some really eye-popping per-click fees--especially since you've picked a category that probably doesn't have 10,000 professional spammers blasting it.

BTW it may take some tweaking of your pages to get the high-ticket ads to come up on a regular basis... I don't know about fishing, but some subjects are a bit quirky...
    Last edited by Leader; December 7th, 2005 at 05:44 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader

That was the best explanation on how to get better adsense ads that I have seen yet. Any newbie that sees this and is using adsense should stand up and applaud you. I am currently reworking low ranking hot dog theory pages of mine just for that reason.

As for the icing it is for me I dont care about affiliate sales anymore. When they come they come but I am not focusing on them anymore
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Leader:

APPLAUSE!

thanks

But then of course you'll have to contend with smart pricing, and hope that Google deems your site to be worthy of a bigger slice of the pie (consistently).
    how does google rate which people get which ads??

how does google rate which people get which ads??
    It's not the ads that they throttle back but rather the percentage of the bid amount. The theory being that if your site is a good converter for the advertisers, then you'll get a bigger percentage of the bid for each click. Conversely, if your site doesn't convert for the advertisers, you'll get a lower percentage. That's the theory, anyhow.

If you follow Leaders' logic and create your site with articles and 'opinion pieces' targetting expensive new equipment, fishing holidays and the like, then yes, you're bound to attract higher paying ads - but whether or not you get your fair share from each click will depend largely on whether or not your visitors who click actually convert for the advertiser (consistently). That's only going to happen if your articles are attracting the right kind of visitor in the first place - the kind that your advertisers want to see. Just something to keep in mind when writing your articles.

Vege...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread