Windows SP2 blocks GC javascript
    Am I panicing over nothing, or is the fact that windows firewall blocks javascript (ie. my whole GC store front) by default a problem? How do others deal with this issue? Thanks!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "is the fact that windows firewall blocks javascript"

huh?

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruder
    Am I panicing over nothing, or is the fact that windows firewall blocks javascript (ie. my whole GC store front) by default a problem? How do others deal with this issue? Thanks!
    Can you give some more detail about what operating system are you using and what are your firewall settings so we can do some research?

Thanks for your responses...

The problems seems to be that Internet explorer (Version 6) defaults to blocking active content when windows SP2 firewall is enabled. In Internet explorer, I went to `tools->Internet Options->Advanced->security and I reset the browser defaults. The default setting for active content is set to `disallow'; I assume this is because I am running the default windows firewall which comes with SP2?

I run a couple of DELL computer labs at a uni, also with windows firewalls enabled and the same problems occurrs..active content in IE is disabled by default.

Details: P4 computers
    WIndows XP pro w SP2 (the latest operating system and service pack)
    Internet explorer v 6.0

I'm wondering how people get around this, like do you provide users with instructions as to how to unblock javascript when they land on the page?

PS. So far I have not lauched my store on a Http:// site, so this occurs when I test my web page locally. Could this be different when the site goes live?

ABW Ambassador
    PS. So far I have not lauched my store on a Http:// site, so this occurs when I test my web page locally. Could this be different when the site goes live?
    Yes, it definitely could be different. When viewing pages on my local machine, Windows XP Home SP2 blocks Adsense (JS) from displaying and throws up a warning, but it's fine once the pages are online.

Thanks webworker; what a relief! Perhaps the case is that javascript need only be enabled on the website host; I will test this and report back later.

Internet Cowboy
    I remember seeing somewhere on the GC site that the page must be on the web for the GC links to be seen.

ABW Ambassador
    Bar on top of the browser window:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

That's from the Adsense JS being on the page when "viewing in browser" with Dreamweaver.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread