Unhappy Suggestions? Cleaning up feeds for WM?
    I've downloaded the demo and several feeds and tried to run them per 'Frank's Tutorial'. The problem is the only feed I can get to operate properly is the sample feed Frank provides in his zip file.

Now, either my excel is screwing around or the merchants just toss their stuff on a page and hope we do all the hard work for them.

Most of the feeds I've downloaded don't even have 'field names'. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong. I won't assume these feeds are useful out of the 'zip' because their not.

My other question is. Are all those fields necessary? Some of them just look like clutter/filler.

Peace,
    Lee

Don't know if you checked my site or not (you mentioned Frank), but have you read this page?:
    http://www.web-procreate.com/wm-feed-prepare.htm

I realize it's just the basics, but the concepts there are pretty important to understand.

As for some of your questions.

Useful right from the zip-file? Nope. You need to customize the feed as much as is practical in order to add some value, and differentiate your feed from all the others (a challenge).

Field names - Most feed files contain field-names. It's odd to find one that doesn't have them (a.k.a. column headers).

Do you need all of the field-names? Nope, sure don't need them all (sometimes) Just leave the ones out of your template that you don't want to use. It sounds like you found a feed with field-names?

You didn't say what problem you are really having, all I see is a comment about them not operating properly. What exactly is happening? Perhaps we can help you with a better description.

Fred

Hiya,

Thanks for your comment.

Error processing record 1: (Field name in detail template not found in source data: "BUYURL')

It runs the list (FULL_IMAGE, CATEGORY) etc...

Also, I don't know that I'm thrilled to have a bizillion pages on my server. It's a dedicated server but still, some of these feeds are huge and will take heaps of space

Ideas?

Peace,
    Lee

I hate to say it, but the best thing is to read through my tutorial (or Frank's) and try to decide if this is for you.

Yes, static pages can take up a lot of storage space on a server. You can try to limit the size of each detail page, that would help a lot. You can also try to build your feed generated sites using a language like PHP, and do everything dynamically. That's another story, to be found in the datafeed forum.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    >>a bizillion pages on my server.

I don't, I don't want individual product detail pages except in some exceptional cases. I've just got the demo so far, but I'm trying to figure out how to do "detail" pages with several related products on them, not individual pages for each.

Error processing record 1: (Field name in detail template not found in source data: "BUYURL')
    You have to either customize the template to match the names on your Excel spreadsheet or you have to change the column names on your Excel spreadsheet to match your template.

For example, if you Excel spreadsheet has BUYURL as its column heading, then that is what your template needs to say. But if your spreadsheet says BUY_URL you need to change you template to say BUY_URL - they have to match.

Hope that helps

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Hiya,

Yeah, I see that. But given that I only have one feed with headings. I'll have to insert my own. Oh Joy. I hate cleaning up other's crap.

I still can't get past having a ton of pages on my server. And I'm not gonna get into the static/db debate. As my server space is more important.

I'm still looking for alternatives.

Peace,
    Lee

Affiliate Manager
    If it's just headings you're looking for it's not truly necessary to create them. WebMerge will automatically create headings named "Field_001", "Field_002", etc. if no heading names are found.

As for the pages on your server, no conflict at all: if you need a live dynamic database solution you should definitely pursue that, and if you need static web pages you have WebMerge. No single tool will do everything; just pick the tool that does what you need.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread