Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Feed Scripts to buy?
    Hiya,

I would like to find/buy some 'pre-built' feed sites. Or maybe a generic feed script that I can just drop feeds into. Does it exist?

Peace,
    Lee

I am so outta here ... Might want to wear a hat for the parrot poop that's gonna be flying around soon.
    (not poking fun at you Lee, someone else who I bet's gonna be here soon.)

That said, have you looked at webmerge & goldencan?
    Both have lot's of info here.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

I think you'll have a hard time finding somethint that offers a pleasant customer shopping experience. The options that are available don't really accomodate the standard needs of the average shopper. For example you won't find brand filters, price sorts, product searches, or click tracking in the datafeed tools commonly used by affiliates. What I recommend is possibly downloading a well known shopping cart system such as osCommerce and modifying it to accept datafeeds. At least with this you'll be providing a reasonable customer shopping experience.

The tools most commonly used are best used as search engine food and lately it's getting more and more difficult to provide food that search engine bots will devour and index. I say focus on the customer and try to figure out how you're going to give them a better than average shopping experience.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib

The tools most commonly used are best used as search engine food and lately it's getting more and more difficult to provide food that search engine bots will devour and index. I say focus on the customer and try to figure out how you're going to give them a better than average shopping experience.

- Scott
    I still don't understand why people keep saying this. Google has nothing against affiliate sites or feed only sites. Seems to me some people are afraid of a little competition.

Thanks all for responding but still doesn't answer my question.

Who sells feed scripts beside Goldencan 'which' I didn't like the idea of trading traffic with or MyDataFeedScripts which look good but not many choices.

Peace,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    I still don't understand why people keep saying this. Google has nothing against affiliate sites or feed only sites. Seems to me some people are afraid of a little competition.
    I'm sure Google has nothing against affiliate or feed sites in a general sense, but it's the sites that rely on search engine traffic that Google doesn't like. Google wants sites to get natural traffic and maintain their own users without the need for SERP placement. If a site relies soely on Google for a period of time without achieving frequent and natural links, it's obvious to the engine that the site can't hold it's own weight. Google doesn't want to link to a site that nobody else will link to. It's just a shame that so many affiliates create sites that nobody wants to use or share with their friends.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    It's just a shame that so many affiliates create sites that nobody wants to use or share with their friends.
    - Scott
    WOW !?

Fred

Again this is a vast overstatement with no evidence to back it up

I was gonna stay out of this, but can't. There is way too much misinformation floating around. There was a legitimate question and it deserves a legitimate answer.

dreamerscove said: "I would like to find/buy some 'pre-built' feed sites."

There are several around, both free and for sale. Right here on ABW you can find both.

For a free script. Go to the OPM forum. Find ProudMedia. Sign up for the Fun To Collect program. It comes with a datafeed template script. Work with that script and it will be easy to set up your own for a different program.

Cusimano scripts has several pre-built scripts. Go to his forum and browse around.

There is a lot of help available on this forum. Ask the right questions and you will get your answers. The main problem with a datafeed driven site is lack of customization. You must make the site different from any other site that uses the same (or similar) feed.

Snib said..."For example you won't find brand filters, price sorts, product searches, or click tracking in the datafeed tools commonly used by affiliates."

Wrong.

Snib said..."I'm sure Google has nothing against affiliate or feed sites in a general sense, but it's the sites that rely on search engine traffic that Google doesn't like. Google wants sites to get natural traffic and maintain their own users without the need for SERP placement. If a site relies soely on Google for a period of time without achieving frequent and natural links, it's obvious to the engine that the site can't hold it's own weight. Google doesn't want to link to a site that nobody else will link to. It's just a shame that so many affiliates create sites that nobody wants to use or share with their friends."

Wrong again.

All of the search engines want to present relevant original copy.

Make your datafeed driven site original and all of the search engines will come. They will list your pages in the results. If your title and description is enticing you will get shoppers. If you have enough shoppers you will make sales.

One of my older shopper-focused, datafeed-driven, sites has a total of eight backlinks. All are recips. Several of the pages rank above the merchant. No ppc, no purchased text links, no tricks. Just organic search.

It can be done. It takes a lot of work and a creative mindset.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Thanks Frank for your help. I can't find a download for psc but I'll send them an email. I'm prowling Cusimano now.

I had hoped to start a thread w/o debate, but apparently on the Net it's not possible.

Peace,
    Lee

They're just mad because at one time they made money off data feed sites. Then, everyone started doing it and now they can't get easy rankings like they used to.

So, they look down their noses at datafeed sites made by others and say they are no good just because they can't cut the mustard with their own data feed sites any more.

Sour grapes.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Oh no! Please make as many datafeed sites as you can, you all should use commonly available tools and make the sites with them and nothing else.

Please?

pretty please?

Personally, I would rather buy pre-built and spend time customizing.

It wasn't my intent to start a pissing contest with this thread. It's threads like this that make people go elsewhere and find a more friendly place.

Peace,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerscove

It wasn't my intent to start a pissing contest with this thread. It's threads like this that make people go elsewhere and find a more friendly place.

Peace,
    Lee
    Yes, there are some hard nosed folks here. The debate will rage on forever. Those that do not use feeds (for whatever reason) vs those that do.

You didn't do anything wrong by asking your question.

I see you don't have many posts, so you may be fairly new to this board. If you hang around for a while you'll find a set of sympatico users to ask advice from. And, possibly, a set of anti's that you won't want to ask anything from. That's the nature of this forum. It should be this way. How else can you get both sides of an issue?

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

dreamerscove,

Welcome and please don't get discouraged. There's plenty of supportive, helpful folk here!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Frank and Joy, Thanks!

I've been a member for sometime. I just don't post for the very reason in this thread.

Peace,
    Lee

Dreamer:

What exactly do you want to do with the script?

I would find a shopping cart program that offers reasonable customer features that isn't built for affiliate datafeeds. Then hire a programmer to modify it to accept datafeed data. This way you're offering the customer a decent shopping experience without using the same affiliate tools that are being used by thousands of affiliates.

I'm sorry to be so critical about all of this, but I'm really just speaking from experience. I do datafeed marketing myself and I've found that the more friendly your tools are the better people will respond. Price comparison for example is very effective and people are much more willing to shop with you if you include it. Users love to browse products by brand name or price, so that's why I mentioned this above. I'm just offering a warning that relying on free search engine traffic as your sole source of traffic is dangerous.

I've got nothing against datafeeds as they are my livelihood, but there is a right way and a wrong way to use them.

- Scott
    Last edited by Snib; December 11th, 2005 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sure Google has nothing against affiliate or feed sites in a general sense
    True, they don't have anything against them, except in cases where it's filling the index with duplicate content. That's very easily observable by the fact that so many pages are being put into the Supplemental Index. But it's got nothing to do with them being affiliate sites - so are many pages from ecommerce sites, as well.

but it's the sites that rely on search engine traffic that Google doesn't like. Google wants sites to get natural traffic and maintain their own users without the need for SERP placement.
    That is totally unsubstantiated and totally untrue.

Again this is a vast overstatement with no evidence to back it up
    More than that, from psychology:

projection: a defense mechanism by which your own traits and emotions are attributed to someone else
    That's the person expressing their own personal opinion and attributing them to "Google" without one shred of evidence that's rooted in reality to back it up.

ABW Ambassador
    Lee, be glad when pissing contests start, because then you've got something to think about and evaluate, and decide for yourself. It's far better than accepting the opinion of just one person that goes unchallenged and being mis-led.

IMHO the day of the cranked-out, cookie-cutter site full of duplicate content is over. The *content* on pages needs to be unique to be able to compete in the engines and stay indexed. It can take a long time to find the right tools for how you want a site to be. I know, I've been looking for months, while maintaining my hand-rolled sites.

That does *not* mean you have to provide an arsenal of features - you want to be able to get indexed and ranked, pull in some traffic and get your visitors to click over to the merchant's site, which will have all the features they need if it's a decent merchant.

But meantime, while looking around and figuring out what you need, get started on something rather than waste a ton of time - because of time delays with some engines. Get some domains out there with indexable, unique content and start promoting, then fill in with whatever more will be needed.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That is totally unsubstantiated and totally untrue.
    No, this is what I've learned by reading Matt Cutts' blog, following information like the Google patent release and through my own experience. This is a great URL and well worth bookmarking:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/type/googleseo/

He talks about this quite a bit and I've learned a lot about how Google works from this guy. Lately he pointed out that it's better not to buy links or reciprocate links because they just aren't as valuable as user generated, word of mouth links.

We've all learned that if our sites can't maintain a constant flow of incoming links, Google will eventually drop us. So that's why I say Google doesn't like sites that rely on free search engine traffic. They require that you get regular incoming links to stay afloat. Relying on the free search traffic means you aren't earning any new incoming links.

I'm not projecting my opinion on anybody. I'm simply stating what I've concluded by studying Google closely for the past few years.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    We've all learned that if our sites can't maintain a constant flow of incoming links, Google will eventually drop us. So that's why I say Google doesn't like sites that rely on free search engine traffic.
    No, we haven't *all* learned that. And whether or not there is a constant flow of new incoming links has nothing to do with whether sites rely on free search engine traffic. That is a personal conclusion based on fallacious logic.

There are, in fact, sites that do have an influx of new IBLs and they also DO rely on free search engine traffic. That is related to their business model and nothing more. If they rely on free search engine traffic it does NOT mean that Google does not like them.

They require that you get regular incoming links to stay afloat. Relying on the free search traffic means you aren't earning any new incoming links.
    Again, that has nothing whatsoever to do with a person's business model or reliance on the organic SERPs. Also, my personal experience (being just one out of many) proves otherwise. There are sites that have maintained their high rankings in competitive SERPs for several years without pursuing any links whatsoever. Granted, it's a good and necessary thing to get fresh links and also to keep sites "fresh"... BUT...

That all, however, got started when someone got on their about Google and links, in essence hijacking this whole thread because it's impossible to let the statements stand as is. If we scroll up, we can see what the original question was

I would like to find/buy some 'pre-built' feed sites. Or maybe a generic feed script that I can just drop feeds into. Does it exist?
    Google and IBLs are completely irrelevant to that topic, which I think out of respect Lee deserves more on-topic input about.

I only have one aff site and that's toys. I thought I would add a few more.

I recently broke up sections of funnyfreaks.com and put them on separate domains. I figure I could do the same thing with toys or other related 'fun' stuff.

Peace,
    Lee

"...and spend time customizing.
    Peace,
    Lee"
    I see you already have part of the plan in place, good luck ! << hint

Scott/Snib - Are you talking about the creloaded version of oscommerce?

Peace,
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast