Affiliate Manager
    Freshpair Affiliates
    Are you guys reading this forum? Any feedback (good or bad) would be really appreciated. I am updating our banner and text links on LinkShare all day today for our holiday gift ideas and sales. Please talk to me!

Rebecca
    Freshpair Affiliate Management Team

Internet Cowboy
    You have downloadable appication, parasitic affiliates in your program, taking our commissions. Get rid of them and people might take you seriously.

I would love to promote you, but it just doesn't pay to have my commissions stolen.

Load one of these wonderful applications on your computer, click on your own PPC ad and make a purchase. Watch what takes place. If you care about anything other than falsely-inflated affiliate sales numbers you will get rid of them immediately.

Happy Holidays

Affiliate Manager
    Uncle Scooter -

Please explain. We have a downloadable application? Who are these parasitic affiliates?

Internet Cowboy
    LOL
    With all due respect, it is your job is to run your affiliate program, not mine.
    If you don't know who in your program is using their downloadable crapware application(s) to steal commission from other affiliates, as well as from your company on your own SEO and PPC traffic, then you should probably consider a new career. At the very least you need some serious training as an affiliate manager.

I don't say this to be mean. I say this because it is sooooo frustrating to honest affiliates that there are so many affiliate managers out there who are so clueless to the thievery running rampant in our industry. Please don't take my comments personally.

You can hire a consultant like Kellie Stevens of AffiliateFairPlay.com to help you if you really don't know what I am talking about.

Affiliate Manager
    Yes I am new in affiliate management but not in Internet Marketing. I would think LinkShare should be the one who track which affiliates are utilizing unfair/illegal practices and therefore, are terminated from the program.

I've read a lot of negative feedback on these threads and especially of the LinkShare program. I'm sure there are negatives about every program out there. Growing companies like Freshpair rely on LinkShare and others to manage the affiliates. All I can do is recruit, approve, and provide links to help you affiliates generate sales.

If stealing is such an issue, why isn't there programs to prevent these "applications"? Maybe you should invest in them if you can't trust these "clueless affiliate managers". I bet there are more than one program you are an affiliate of that has these issues.

The purpose of this thread is to get feedback on the Freshpair program. Thank you Uncle Scooter for your response. I'm looking into this stealing problem.

Internet Cowboy
    Think about it. The affiliate networks get a piece of the action on affiliate sales. Parasites turn your own SEO and PPC traffic into affiliate sales, which the networks make money on.

To rely on the networks to filter out bad apples is a very naive concept and will cost your company millions in unearned commissions over a period of years.

Do yourself a favor. Go buy a $299 cheapo computer and load the software that some of your top affiliates use on it and go shopping. You will be shocked if you care at all about the overall profitability of your company.

Many affiliate managers are paid a percentage of affiliate sales, therefore they seek out these affiliates to turn the company's own sales into affiliate sales. This is a very shady practice and only costs your company money.

I'm done here. You wanted feedback. You got it.

Happy Holidays

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    And ask yourself why CJ kicked out ShopAtHomeSelect... and why LinkShare didn't...

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    And ask yourself why CJ kicked out ShopAtHomeSelect... and why LinkShare didn't...
    Then load their software on your computer and go shopping on your web site using your own SEO and PPC links. Be sure to finish the transactions.

we bring you buyers, they get the sales credit & commission = bad

Affiliate Manager
    What software do they have?

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca1978
    Amazing!

Affiliate Manager
    Donuts - the ones you post are the most notorious??

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Hi Rebecca!

Go to the main index of the ABW forums and scroll down just past half way and go to the ParasiteWare area and read. You will find all sorts of information about many of the apps/programs out there that are scamming honest affiliates.

http://forum.abestweb.com/index.php?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Michelle.

Cool
    In addition to the suggestion made above regarding getting in touch with an expert, please visit the parasiteware forum section below for some background.

They are just the tip of the iceberg. Your program is filled with all the usual players that LinkShare would have you believe are promoting you. Truth is they distribute software applications, often using suspicious methods to distribute it, and it waits for a shopper to land on your site - then it acts to claim the credit for the sale.

Your program is so polluted with these players, that we could never hope to make money by sending you traffic - the cheaters will be paid what we earned. And LinkShare will be paid a % of every sale. Often, a consumer will visit your site without an affiliate referral - maybe a friend told them about you - these "partners" of yours, that LinkShare put in place, will take credit for those sales too. So your company is being swindled too.

Good luck with the new job. Must be disappointing to learn how your efforts to sign up new affiliates is really just a stab in their back.

Uncle Scooter and I laugh at how LinkShare is RIPPING you off. They charge lots of annual fees and a % of sales to steal from you - very nice for them. And by the way, your company probably has teams that work on inhouse ppc, inhouse seo, inhouse email marketing, inhouse direct mail marketing, maybe even radio and tv - as people are drawn to your site, by the actions of the people you work with in those other departments, those web sales will show up in your reports as coming from your affiliates - the ones I linked to. So you're going to look GREAT! But your coworkers in the other departments, well, you're getting credit for what they do to market, brand and promote your products too. So you should get a nice bonus as you go along with this situation. Raise a stink and you lose your bonus, inform other departments that you were stealing achievement from them, admit to your affiliates that you were setting them up to be stolen from and also, and not leastly, you'll be letting others in your company know that someone before made some extremely poor (and possibly malicious) marketing decisions that forsake others in your building for the sake of looking good themselves. If that person is still your boss, and if you throw up a flag now, well then you'll get to feel that same knife twisting in your back as that person seeks to avoid embarassment.

Good luck with all that.

Merry Christmas.

Affiliate Manager
    I've read many of the Parasitic postings and am learning more and more each day. I will definitely look into who is stealing affiliate commissions and will remove them from our program.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I've read many of the Parasitic postings and am learning more and more each day. I will definitely look into who is stealing affiliate commissions and will remove them from our program.
    That is great to hear. You have a big job ahead of you.

Can you please keep us posted as to your removal process? Not only will that reassure your current affiliates, but the many you will gain once they see you are being pro-active with the parasite removal will your biggest bonus and gain you respect among the troops.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Try leaving LinkShare and going to ShareASale - sometimes it's better to move than to fumigate.

And don't tell me later that I didn't warn you... if you raise a stink there in the halls of your company (depending on how your company got to this point), professionally this could be a painful path you're choosing. There will be many that don't understand or some that intentionally pretend they don't. And folks like LinkShare will not tell you the whole truth of what they're doing to earn their fees.

Don't totally understand what's that but it must be very important thing.
    UP!!! :P

Affiliate Manager
    Rebecca, Affiliate marketing is a science, you will get it down quick. I read that you know alot about online marketing that is extremely important, most affiliate managers dont have the full on back ground of IMM's.

That being said, you run your program how you run your program, meaning you do whats best for company and team. Don't let people strong arm your decision making... Yes there are shaddy affilaites out there, and very often the clean affilaites are the once that are impacted most...But today is downloads, tommorow pop-ups, the next day cookie re-writting... etc.

As to the statemnet that Maybe should should find a new job written by one of these affilates, pay no mind to that... You'll will get this business in no time..As I mentioned before Affilaite Marketing is some of the most aggressive space on the net...

Best,

ME!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread