Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Another disaster narrowly averted
    My name is Rhea and I'm a klutz.

This morning I decided to let the fire die out in the wood stove so I could clean out the ashes before relighting it. Those of you with wood stoves understand that it's okay to do this while there are still embers burning in the stove. The ashes and embers get dumped into a metal ash bucket with a lid.

So I finish cleaning the darn thing out and start vacuuming the hearth. Apparently an ember had fallen out of the stove onto the hearth and...

got sucked into the vacuum cleaner!

Smoke and sparks flying everywhere. Help-help-help!

I unplug the vacuum and run out the front door with it where I dump it in the snow, open it and frantically tear out the bag (which is smoking and starting to catch fire). The bag is flung into the snow and buried.

In the meantime, the puppy is thinking.

"Hmmm," he ponders, "looks like Mom left the front door open. Guess I'll go for a little stroll!" Zzzzzzzzoooooom. Bye-bye puppy!

I then spend the next twenty minutes trying to retrieve the little SOB. Oh what fun it is to run around the neighborhood in your PJs screaming, "C'mere you damn dog!"

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I'm just gonna sit in this chair for the rest of the day. I'm afraid to do anything else.

And I guess I'm gonna ask Santa for a vacuum cleaner this year.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    My name is Rhea and I'm a klutz.

This morning I decided to let the fire die out in the wood stove so I could clean out the ashes before relighting it. Those of you with wood stoves understand that it's okay to do this while there are still embers burning in the stove. The ashes and embers get dumped into a metal ash bucket with a lid.

So I finish cleaning the darn thing out and start vacuuming the hearth. Apparently an ember had fallen out of the stove onto the hearth and...

got sucked into the vacuum cleaner!

Smoke and sparks flying everywhere. Help-help-help!

I unplug the vacuum and run out the front door with it where I dump it in the snow, open it and frantically tear out the bag (which is smoking and starting to catch fire). The bag is flung into the snow and buried.

In the meantime, the puppy is thinking.

"Hmmm," he ponders, "looks like Mom left the front door open. Guess I'll go for a little stroll!" Zzzzzzzzoooooom. Bye-bye puppy!

I then spend the next twenty minutes trying to retrieve the little SOB. Oh what fun it is to run around the neighborhood in your PJs screaming, "C'mere you damn dog!"

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I'm just gonna sit in this chair for the rest of the day. I'm afraid to do anything else.

And I guess I'm gonna ask Santa for a vacuum cleaner this year.
    LOL Rhea ... while it was no fun for you, it made for a good laugh. Thanks for seeing the humor in life and sharing it ... hope you found puppy and that you get a new vacuum cleaner from Santa.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Sounds like your having the same kind of day I am having today.

Talk about coincidence! I am about to go clean out my fireplace (we use almost every day - and it has hot embers). I will make sure my pup is tied down somewhere too. I'll pretend part of your post was advice

btw - I can relate to chasing the dog around the neighborhood. It sounds like you may have had more fun though.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    I know how you feel. Had my own disastrous problems with not a stove but an oven. Still haunted by it.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hey Rhea - at least you were smart and got the vacuum outside in time before it whooshed up in flames! I can just picture you running around the neighbourhood trying to tempt your puppy back...

I had my own klutzy pet story recently - my smalll aquarium cracked open as I picked it up to move it, and water + fish cascaded everywhere over a wood chest of drawers and all over a wood floor. Fish survived by getting scooped up and thrown into the bathroom sink, but it took me half a day to clean up the mess.
    [FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Jennifer
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    e. [EMAIL=jenniferk@shareresults.com]jenniferk@shareresults.com[/EMAIL]
    t. 514-849-8595
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]
    "Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." William Safire[/LEFT][/FONT]

Oh man...well I suppose the bright side could be that you didn't have a cup of coffee in your hand this time.

Glad no one was hurt!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I think I know now why I don't vacuum. Stuff like this happens. Can't take that chance.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread