Taxes? (US Publishers)
    LS collects a W9 from US publishers, so I assume it reports commissions to the IRS (is this true?). If so, does it send out tax forms in January, such as a 1099 or similar?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

You should receive a 1099 from LinkShare for the total of all checks sent directly from LinkShare for the year (assuming it's $600 or more). Merchants that pay directly will be responsible for their own 1099s.

CJ is the same way.

BeFree is a bit different. The individual merchants send out 1099s even though BeFree cut the checks. (Some of those merchants don't realize that, so they don't send out 1099s.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Linkshare's 1099 is for what commissions they pay out during the calendar year. Shouldn't you technically be reporting to the IRS how much money you EARN? Is anyone making this adjustment? Or do most people simply report what is on the 1099?

Last year i simply reported what was on Linkshare's 1099.

If you're filing as a Sole Proprietor (Schedule C), you have two choices. Cash Basis or Accrual Basis. With accrual basis, you report what you earn. With cash basis, you report what you receive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've had 1099s before - always deducted my business expenses on schedule C to arrive at what I actually earn and only pay tax on that.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

I was lazy last year and used schedule C-EZ. I never even opened my 1099's they are still sitting in my glove compartment. Much easier to just add up how much money I deposited in the bank then to mess with all these little pieces of paper.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread