using multiple feeds with webmerge
    This question or problem may have already been covered, I'm just not sure.
    I am using at least 12 feeds and am running into a problem uploading time even with 768k/sec DSL. Is there someway for me to configure webmerge to run these feeds together better to sleek design my template pages to make fewer pages, but with the same amount of content on them? If there is anyway to trim my number of pages and use the same number or more of feeds, I would certainly appreciate the help.

I am looking into designing and building my own database for accessing all my tables (feeds) in the near future.

Thank you everyone. Happy Holidays!

Mark

Are you zipping all the files before uploading? If you are running an Apple or Linux machine it's easier to scp the file across to your web server rather than running FTP. You can do that with this command:

scp -pr files.zip username@server.domain.com:/home/yourdomain/public_html

Of course the parameters will be different, but this is an extremely useful command as you never need to open a bulky FTP client. If you're stuck with Windows though you'll be out of luck.

Once you've copied the zip file to your server, just run the 'unzip' command from your ssh shell account and you'll be all set. If you don't have a shell account you may be able to create a simple PHP script that will unzip the file for you, but I strongly recommend finding a host with a shell account as it's a huge time saver.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hey, Scott.
    Are you familiar with Globat? It uses a Linux system. I am using windows xp on my home system. Is there a problem with this setup? As far as I can tell it has a shell account. I'd be able to change some parameters and setup a database thru php & mysqladmin, right? Let me know, I'd like to know how I could use WM once I have mastered transfering and unzipping the feeds on my site without d/ling them. If you don't mind.
    Mark

You shouldn't have any problems with your setup. You'll just need to FTP the zip file containing your html documents to the Globat server and use an SSH client like Secure CRT to connect to the shell to unzip the files. Since you're just starting out I suggest taking the simplest, most comfortable route you can. As you become more familiar with the territory you can begin to change your process and start using more advanced techniques. Good luck!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

One more thing,
    from inside my email account, how can I transfer my zip files from my email to my database erea or where ever I may need it to use webmerge? see the confusion I am facing?

Hello Scott.
    Say is doing the above processes all possible thru Globat hosting?
    It uses a Linux system. I really need to get this process simplified with webmerge so that I can use more than ten feeds at once. Any additional help that you can provide other than what is above would be more than appreciated. Thank you for that help above.
    Mark

Scott,

Mark may not have shell access, many hosts don't allow it. So he's got a problem.

Mark, at this point, you should consider a PHP/MySQL solution (or similar) where you do most of your work up at the server.

Try to talk your host into shell access, if you can. As for WebMerge, it has a built-in ftp client, and is capable of uploading the completed feed at the end of it's run. It cannot upload multiple feeds at the same time, however.

Richard is working on a server based version of WebMerge that will reportedly use a web style interface, and that may also solve your problems.

Fred

Thanks, Fred.

Hello everyone,
    I have another great problem, I have a hosting service that won't allow you to use zip or unzip in its control panel.
    Can any of you recommend a good hosting service that will allow this as well as maybe provide a shell access??? Thanks

Hey, scott.
    How about a hosting service that has ssh shell along with the zipping, gzipping or bzipping feater as well? Can you recommend one? I am going to need it since my current service won't let me do it. I'd like to get this ball rolling so that I can get my feeds all up and running asap.
    Thanks Scott.
    Mark

kualo.com is great. They will give you shell access as well.

Fred

Thanks, Fred.
    I tried the address but can't find the server for it. Are they up? I'll keep trying.
    Mark

Thanks Fred.
    1and1 is way cheaper and they give you alot more than kualo, globat and quite a few others. Do you know if anyone has ever had a service that had ssh shell access and couldn't use gzip inside of it?

- zip your files on your local machine, by creating ex.: myzipfile.zip
    - ftp that single zip file to the directory wherein you wish to unzip it
    - by SSH navigate to that directory (find instructions on the web, if you do not know how)
    - use the command: unzip myzipfile.zip
    - now you have all files live in your directory
    - finally use the command: rm myzipfile.zip - in order to remove (delete) the initial zip file

hope this helps

heisje

I wanted inform you guys, that I now have the ability to zip my static pages from WM and am able to u/l them by ftp on a service that lets me use "putty" to access ssh shell and ungzip them. May I ask, how many feeds do you find that you able to control like this using WM?
    Thanks.
    Mark
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Hey, fellas.
    Isn't there a way to use gunzip to unzip .zip files once I have uploaded them by ftp to my site's directory? Or do I need to rezip them into .gz format first?

Mark

Another idea for revised webmerge, creating a scheduler script or attached program to arranged a certain number of feeds to be updated while away from your pc.
    Is there a way to upload just the changed static pages in webmerge currently?
    What about a timed delete parameter to remove older pages that no longer are used or have an "in stock" attribute for said product?

Affiliate Manager
    Windows has a scheduler built in, and OS X has cron.

Which platform are you using? Is there anything specific about those options that would make a built-in solution better for you?

As for uploading only changed files, that'll be an option in v3.0.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I'm using windows xp pro right now, but needless to say, I am sick of all the pop-ups thru IE that I am getting and they seem to effect my scheduler that I use with wise-ftp. Do know how I can access the scheduler thru windows xp? If Linux is simpler to use, how compatible is it with windows software?
    Thanks.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread