Action Jackson - King of the World
    Categories that are really long
    What do you do to make categories manageable. I am mainly thinking of places like Ace hardware where they are a mile long and it takes me forever to rename each record.

I have a separate database that contains all the categories from each datafeed. Then I have a backend system where I can search these categories for the items I want in my store. For example I'll search for "sheets" and each category that contains the word "sheets" for each of my merchants will appear. Then I click a link to check the products in each of these categories. If the products look like a nice fit for my front end category structure, I'll select the front end location for those products. So there may be 3 or 4 datafeeds with this information:

Home > Bedding > Sheets
    Bedroom > Sheets
    Home Decor > Bedroom > Bedding > Sheets
    Home > Bedroom > Sheets

Since I can't use each of those categories, I'll just create a single category on my site that uses keywords I research from keyword tracker. Maybe mine will be something like "Home & Garden > Bedding > Sheets". I'll map each of these datafeed categories to my own category name and the products will automatically appear in that category on my site.

My backend system only lists datafeed categories that aren't already mapped, so it's sort of a process of elimination. I'll keep assigning categories until there aren't anymore to assign. Then as long as the category in the datafeed doesn't change, those products will always go into the proper category. My import script knows where everything goes so if new products are added to a category, they'll automatically appear in the proper category on my site.

It works quite well because a lot of the time the categories in the datafeeds are simply unusable.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi Snib:

Could you explain what you mean by backend system? I was following along well until I got to that part lol. I like where you showed the different categories and how similar they can be and put them into one category and this is what I am struggling figuring out how to do.

My backend is the control panel I use to manage my site. It lets me input new coupons & deals, manage datafeed categories, approve or disapprove customer reviews, add new datafeeds etc. I keep it password protected and I'm really the only person that uses it. It's entirely custom and allows me to control most administrative aspects of my site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ahhh sounds like you're talking about a script of some sort. I just use basic php and mysql here so am looking for something fairly simple LOL

Jack, Could you post an example of what you consider a long category?

Here's a made up example:

Automotive:Pets:sports:Auto:Brakes:Brake Fluid

I have had luck querying the Category out of the database and exploding it.
    Code:
    $chop = explode(":", $cat["Category"]);
    Then I loop through $chop and insert the individual names in a table with a rank showing it's position in the hierarchy. Then it seems manageable to me, but there are probably better ways.

ABW Ambassador
    What I do on a new site I'm making which is just running on Access but will move to SQL or MySQL later is I rebuild the categories. First I run a script to insert 2 new fields in the database table. Then I grab the last 2 words in the long category and make these the category and subcategory.

I rebuild the categories, too.
    That is where I actually spend the largest part of my time on feeds.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread