Need LCD Monitor Recommendations
    I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor for my Dell Dimension desktop.

I had purchased a Samsung 914V, but returned it because of ghosting problems. I've looked at the Samsung 930 and that seems like a better monitor, but would love some feedback/suggestions.

Model numbers would be great, if possible.

Thanks.

Go with an acer they're cheap and good the AL19 series is good I am not sure what number their up to but mines is the AL1912

LOL! HardwareGeek I have the exact same monitor, though in my dual setup I also have the Samsung SyncMaster 191T.

Betcha we both bought the Acer at Newegg?

nah i bought mines from DandH
    how much you pay at newegg? I paid 180 at DandH.com

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    LOL! HardwareGeek I have the exact same monitor, though in my dual setup I also have the Samsung SyncMaster 191T.

Betcha we both bought the Acer at Newegg?
    Between the two which do you like?

I've always been leery of Acer because it just seemed like a lower-end brand. Is this prejudice on my part?

I actually have two Dell 19" Ultrasharps hooked up here and love it. My dell dimension game with a dual output video card (1DVI/1VGA) so there is a color difference between the two but other then that these two work great!

Checkout dell refurb and you can get a pretty good deal. For something like montiors which can eventually hurt your eyes its better to spend a few extra dollars and get quality... just my 2cents.

Best,
    -AB

Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    Between the two which do you like?

I've always been leery of Acer because it just seemed like a lower-end brand. Is this prejudice on my part?
    Acer isn't really low end their just afforadable because when it comes to brand names you are buying the name.

I would stay away from Acer products, had some bad luck with an Acer notebook, that was enough to keep me away for life. Whenever I buy a big ticket item I check out pcworld's reviews, take a look at their 19" monitor review page, Acer isn't even in the top 10

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,122296,00.asp

cNet has pretty good reviews too. I usually look at their review then 3 or 4 user reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3173_7-...=dir.screen.19

And if you notice when you sort by rating the dell 19" is #1
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSh...?tag=pdtl-list
    Last edited by affiliateblogster; December 12th, 2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add info on dell

LG is pretty good - I have a 17" one and I'm quite happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    I would stay away from Acer products, had some bad luck with an Acer notebook, that was enough to keep me away for life. Whenever I buy a big ticket item I check out pcworld's reviews, take a look at their 19" monitor review page, Acer isn't even in the top 10

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,122296,00.asp
    To get your product reviewed by PC word you have to pay them to review it. Most of the time smaller companys can't afford it and if they give you a bad review your screwed.

Acer is not exactly a "smaller company", they do have good reviews on some products, how do you know they only review products which companies have paid pcworld to review. I myself would not buy another Acer product. The Cnet review wasn't too kind either

http://reviews.cnet.com/Acer_AL1931/...-30597119.html

"This reasonably priced LCD has decent image quality and some nice extras, but it sacrifices some basics, such as adjustability. It could be a good purchase for someone on a budget."

The Acer is nice and bright. It doesn't rotate like the Samsung. I have had good success with both. No dead pixels or real issues. Acer is certainly not a small unknown company. They have been making computer products for years and years.

I have had the Samsung for a couple of years now (at least when it first came out). I still have two other 15" LCDs running strong as well. Seem to be outlasting my traditional CRTs.

I am going to go with the Dell 24" LCDs starting in January since the price is pretty darn good, and the monitor got some decent reviews. I really need the real estate. I have outgrown the 19" resolution.

I like my Dell Ultrasharp, I use it as the main monitor on my dual setup.

I got 2 Samsung 913T's (Loved the first so much I just got a 2nd) they are AWESOME! I have a 19" 997DF Samsung CRT between the two (3 total) and there is no comparison. Video is crisp and clear. I use the DVI connections. The 913T is 8ms 700:1 contrast ratio 300cd/m2 brightness. I don't play computer games though, so I can't say for that. I will have to find time to play a game on it one day.

ABW Ambassador
    If you use the analog signals and don't have a good shielded cable or if you add a cheap extension to a good cable you can expect ghosting with any monitor.

I've got a Samsung 930 B 19" LCD monitor that I'm delighted with, but feed analog signals to it via a seriously shielded cable. I got the cable a while ago to get rid of ghosting on my older Sony LCD monitor.

Stupid me, I bought a new computer without the digital signals for the monitor, so I'll have to keep using the shielded analog cable. Still, I'm happy with my brilliant Samsung monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiznot
    If you use the analog signals and don't have a good shielded cable or if you add a cheap extension to a good cable you can expect ghosting with any monitor.

I've got a Samsung 930 B 19" LCD monitor that I'm delighted with, but feed analog signals to it via a seriously shielded cable. I got the cable a while ago to get rid of ghosting on my older Sony LCD monitor.

Stupid me, I bought a new computer without the digital signals for the monitor, so I'll have to keep using the shielded analog cable. Still, I'm happy with my brilliant Samsung monitor.
    Funny you should say this, because I signed on to ask a question about ghosting with a 930 B Monitor.

I bought the Samsung 930B on Tuesday and am using the analog cable that came with the monitor. Fonts are not as clear as I would like them to be.

Even odder is that anything Microsoft is screwed up. For instance, the fonts on IE are about 10x normal size and no background colors are appearing in sites like Yahoo. (Not a problem that is occuring in Firefox).

Could this be a cable issue? Should I buy a shielded analog cable (brands, sugggestions on what specifically to get would be appreciated) or go with the digital cable?

At this point, its worth a shot

Thanks for the recommendations on the Dell LCDs. Consumer Reports gave those monitors high ratings.

Both of my PCs (desktop and laptop) are from the Dell Outlet, but given the probs I've had already, I'd rather buy the monitor from a store than order it online/via catalog. Yeah, it might be a few extra bucks, but the convenience of being able to return it physically is just better for me.

Xerox 19" LCD Monitor

Here

399 in store

350 online with free shipping.

This display is really amazing. I almost got 2, but am shopping for a 20-32 inch wide screen.

hope that helped
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

I picked up an Apple 23" HD Cinema Screen a few weeks ago and love it. Highly recommended. Bring your student ID if you happen to have one laying around...

In response to above questions and comments about 19" LCD's, my second monitor is a 20.5" Sony LCD. The extra real estate is nice, the colors and contrast are better than the 300-400 dollar models, resolution goes up to 1600x1200, and well, it's a Sony, for what that's worth. The jump in resolution is likely the main benefit, because most of the lower-end 19" LCD's only go up to 1280x1024.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    Xerox 19" LCD Monitor

Here

399 in store

350 online with free shipping.

This display is really amazing. I almost got 2, but am shopping for a 20-32 inch wide screen.

hope that helped

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread