Exclamation Press Releases. Do they help?
    I decided to try press releases to get extra publicity for my web site.

Submitted a press release. It got published. On the date of publishing my site traffic doubled. But then, in a day, it got back to usual again.

Has anyone tried press releases here? Do they give you stable traffic? Or is it just a one-time game?

If you have scored nice results, share your tips and resources please.

ABW Ambassador
    one-time game but they can stay in the serps

I you play in the right vertical http://slashdot.org can fry your server, so to speak.
    Then it is over in a matter of days

Do you mean that when published they get indexed? Are the indexed as separate pages or as a part of some code?

Can you give any tips how to get it vertical? How much press releases on one topic should I publish? I know that no definite number can help, but more tips from your personal experience (the so-called 'success story') would be very helpful.

I know that articles are a huge buzz now (I am even releasing my own tool to catch up with the market soon). But I think press releases are underestimated as a marketing strategy. I hoped to be among the first on this wave, but no big success up to the moment.

Affiliate Network Rep
    We've found press releases are a great promotional tool when we bring new merchants into the Share Results affiliate network, and when we announce new merchant promotions. We've also issued PRs covering affiliate marketing tips and tricks that have generated a lot of traffic, both immediate and ongoing.

We use PRWeb.com, and pay for distribution, so these releases hit major news distribution channels and get a lot of exposure. We're about to launch updated press centers on Share Results too, to help with indexing.
    [FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Jennifer
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    e. [EMAIL=jenniferk@shareresults.com]jenniferk@shareresults.com[/EMAIL]
    t. 514-849-8595
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]
    "Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." William Safire[/LEFT][/FONT]

Maybe this sounds outdated to you, but I always thought that press releases are something for big media (politics, show biz, etc.)

I was really amazed that it can work for online marketing too.

Can you give me some links to see the examples of what worked nice for you?

Affiliate Network Rep
    With PRWeb, you pick industry verticals best suited for your PR. For Share Results releases, we stick to Business: Online Marketing/SEO and if our merchants are covered in the release, whichever industry vertical they fit best. We also target industry mags/forums, emailing releases directly to journalists. That way, only media targets and readers who are actively interested in online marketing get the release.

midPhase is an example of a client we welcomed into Share Results. The Share Results PR we issued back in October is still appearing on the second page of Google results for the keyword "midphase". When it was first issued, it appeared in the top 5 returns for a few weeks. We optimized the release, and tracked a lot of visitors directly from that PR.

The National Scrapbooking Association also benefitted from a PR push a few months back. Many of our best scrapbooking affiliates for this program aren't typical affiliate marketers, and wouldn't have discovered our program through the usual recruitment strategies, save for PRs targeting this industry.

It's definitely important to make sure you have real news with broad online marketing appeal before preparing a release, and editors at PR distribution sites are definitely on the lookout for sales pitches.

Having a new client come on board? News.

That same client minorly tweaking their commission structure a few months down the road? Not news, except to affiliates within that program.
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    t. 514-849-8595

ABW Ambassador
    Irony: I have been taking a business communication course. My last assignment was due last night, and it was a press release.

I wrote it about one of my sites. I just signed up for PR Web, I'm going to clean my assignment up a bit, see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferK
    With PRWeb, you pick industry verticals best suited for your PR. For Share Results releases, we stick to Business: Online Marketing/SEO and if our merchants are covered in the release, whichever industry vertical they fit best. We also target industry mags/forums, emailing releases directly to journalists. That way, only media targets and readers who are actively interested in online marketing get the release.

midPhase is an example of a client we welcomed into Share Results. The Share Results PR we issued back in October is still appearing on the second page of Google results for the keyword "midphase". When it was first issued, it appeared in the top 5 returns for a few weeks. We optimized the release, and tracked a lot of visitors directly from that PR.

The National Scrapbooking Association also benefitted from a PR push a few months back. Many of our best scrapbooking affiliates for this program aren't typical affiliate marketers, and wouldn't have discovered our program through the usual recruitment strategies, save for PRs targeting this industry.

It's definitely important to make sure you have real news with broad online marketing appeal before preparing a release, and editors at PR distribution sites are definitely on the lookout for sales pitches.

Having a new client come on board? News.

That same client minorly tweaking their commission structure a few months down the road? Not news, except to affiliates within that program.
    Thanks, a very helpful post.

I visited your links/examples. One of the perks I saw was that your press release had PR.

Still I wonder why press release publishers do not allow anchor text feature. In any casem they are publishing the URLs. Why then not doing the hyperlinking for these URLs? This will look much better and can give a nice SEO effect both for publisher and publishing service.

P.S. Wow! While writing it I saw my press release pushed mu on 2nd page for my forex keyword! I don't know if this is for long, but I like it!!

JenniferK, one more question if you don't mind.

I noticed that in PRWeb pages are indexed not evenly. For example, your press release was published Oct 5, 2005 and it has PR 3. I check press releases for other keywords and see that Google gave page rank only to July-August press releases. Other pages are left without page rank attention.

Do you know why? Is it Google or PRWeb that have to deal with this inequality? Do you have any links back from your site to this press release? If you know, please help. After I saw me on the 2nd page, I got super motivated for this.

Affiliate Network Rep
    We've found the releases eventual page rank depends on a number of factors, but the most important are the level of paid distribution on PRWeb (more money means better exposure and media pickups) and how many online sites publish the piece.

That midPhase release not only had one of the highest paid contributions for that day (bumping it to the very top) but also got published by major web hosting industry sites as a news item - TheWhir.com, for example, featured our PR on their top-ranked site.

PRWeb and most press release distribution sites also recommend that HTML not be used, since the release will be distributed over many channels.

One thing to keep in mind - PRs are aimed at the media, and not the general public. They are meant to present just the facts about a newsworthy event. Journalists sometimes use the PR verbatim, but more often they will springboard from its content plus phone/email the PR contact person to craft the eventual published article.

That midPhase PR isn't even linked to on our site (it will be soon, when the Share Results press center goes live and we back catalogue). Page rank for all our PRs should go up following that publication.

It's all part of an overall effort to get the word out about our relatively new network. From a publicity standpoint, our PRs, the Share Results blog, affiliate marketing articles, our participation on forums such as ABestWeb, and attendance at major conferences such as Ecom and Ad:tech are all helping us get the word out about our affiliate network!
    Affiliate Manager
    t. 514-849-8595

Does anyone know of any good sources for learning how to write an effective press release? It sounds intruiging enough I'd like to try one.

The news event would be the launching of the affiliate program - is that newsy enough to merit a PR?

BTW, PRWeb does have an affiliate program and payments are prompt.

Tuan

The effective use of Press Releases is not from a single press release, but multiple releases. Announce something new every week or two.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by JP Sauve
    The effective use of Press Releases is not from a single press release, but multiple releases. Announce something new every week or two.
    Could you please specify a little. Do you mean to make releases on one and the same event, just chaning story and popping up some news on it? I was advised that press releases have real power when 'newsmakers' see something 'newsworthy' in it. And playing one and the same story all the times doesn't agree with it.

I don't think he meant to release the same story every few weeks.

What I meant was to try and come up with something new to say every week or two... although I have seen lots of people re-post the same old thing over and over, but that's not what I was implying.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Thanks. And one more question that I faced.

Google is very fast about gulping press releases. The day mine got released, Google indexed it (max with 24 delay).

About a week or even more has passed, I decided to try other SEs:
    Yahoo - nothing (pages 1-5)
    AOL - 2nd page
    AllTheWeb - nothing (pages 1-5)
    AltaVista - nothing (pages 1-5)

Do you know why only Google and AOL seem to be very interested in press releases?

ABW Ambassador
    AOL uses Google for it's search results mainly with a tweak here and there.

You're seeing the same results with Yahoo, AllTheWeb and Altavista because Yahoo bought the other 2 out awhile back and it's basically the same index.

I got it.

So we can say:

Google - press release 'friendly'
    Yahoo - no

All I wonder about is when exactly Yahoo will catch up with the stream and join the wave of fast press release indexing. Yahoo is great, but why they are always late in new things and approaches??

I have found that it is not just the fact of doing a press release that gets you results. It is what you say in it. Get some advice on writing one or get a professional to do it.

Here are a few tips:

- Do not make it a marketing piece. Extravagant claims and hype will get your press release shot down faster than a blimp in a fighterjet dogfight. No self-respecting publication is going to publish your "advertising" press release when they could charge you for advertising anyway.

- Make it newsworthy! If your announcement is not naturally interesting, find a way to tie it in with the latest hot topic. The press is always looking for extra filler that ties in with the big headline of the day, week, or month.

- Give them great content. Just like attracting people to your website pages, if you have great content you get great interest.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Arrow
    Some feed on press release topic and its keywords

in Overture:
    20,491 searches for 'press release'
    3,907 - 'how to write a press release'
    2,756 - 'sample press release'
    1,057 - 'send press release'
    550 - 'press release submission'
    454 - 'submit press release'

They say Google traffic is appr-ly 10 times bigger on the keywords, but the tendency is clear. Though the attention to press releases is great, not so many quality services in press release field - and the market is not buzzing about 'PR submission', only the first sounds of the buzz.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread