What is the best way to list categories?
    Hi,

I'm new to WebMerge and I still need to learn many things, hope you can help me here

I have a datafeed featuring several products from various merchants, that I would like to organize in a four-tier website in the following manner:

• On the index page I would like to put all the categories, divided by merchant. i.e. if I have 4 merchants, 4 <td> in a Table with the several categories in it.

QUESTION: How can I avoid using [Wm-Record] that the categories repeat themselves? Since I want the category listed 1 time only, and not for every processed record. I tried Index-Label but did not succeed

2nd QUESTION: If I want to divide the content between the different merchants, is it better to split the datafeed into separate ones, or use a [Wm-If] to select the records?

• On the category page I'd like to have the various Brands listed, linking to the following tier.

• On the brand detail page I'd like to have the various products, finally leading to the final product page.

I tried reading some tutorials out there but I did not succeed anybody there can explain me the process? Mainly I need help on the first two points; the last two I think are pretty easy.

Thank you everyone there, I made that $99 investment and I hope it will be worth!!

Falco85

(I'd like to know also from you if this page planning is good for you, or you think has got too many tiers, thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by falco85
    I tried reading some tutorials out there but I did not succeed
    Yes, on this the tutorials are as clear as snot!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

What makes this a little more complicated, is that you want to put several different Merchants (and therefore several different feeds) on the same top level page. That page will have to be put together at least partially by hand.

More specifically, you could build top level pages for all of the merchants, and run the feeds separately. Then, take the top level page for all of the merchants, and paste the links into a new main page, featuring all of the merchants.

As for building the remaining lower-level pages, they are covered in both tutorials (Frank's is maybe a Little clearer than mine).

Fred

I see you have updated the tutorial. I will look at it again.

Don't people just take more than one merchant and combine them on one master feed?

That is a simple cut, paste and sort and easy enough to do.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I have a strange behaviour from webmerge.. here is the code I'm using in the template

[WM-IndexLabel: ADVERTISERCATEGORY]
    [WM-Record]
    [WM-Field: ADVERTISERCATEGORY]
    [/WM-Record]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]

If I sorted the database from Webmerge, as a result I had a blank page. Sorting them from Excel, I have ALL the categories repeated, as if I was using Wm-field only without Wm-IndexLabel. What's wrong?

I have a feed with 145 categories... I'd like to make 145 different pages with the listings of the items of the proper category. How can I do it? I tried many ways also manual but doing it 145 times it's impossible if I have to make 2-3 changes it would take me ages everytime.. any shortcut? Thank you

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread