Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Post Newbie merchant trying to promote affiliate program?
    hi everyone,

    thank you for reading this.

    i just setup this my affiliate program, and i was wondering how could i promote it. i have try it looking at some website like comission junction, but they are way to expensive, so i was wondering if there are any other ways i could promote it.

    currently my affiliate is setup as tier1 25% sale. tier2 15% - tier3 10% - tier4 5%.

    i was thinking in setting up tier1 25% sale. for every sale of $500 that tier2 makes tier1 earns $100. and for every sale of $500 that tier3 makes, tier 1 earn $50.

    let me know if i should change anything or how i can improve. als let me know how can i promote.

    i thank you in advance to everyone.

  2. #2
    Affiliate Manager inflatemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    172
    You should get rid of the tiers. Affiliates would prefer to just get a larger commission. Additionally the community here considers anything more than two-tier Multi-Level Marketing -- which is explicitly forbidden on this board.

  3. #3
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    What Carlos said and also: look into ShareASale which is much less expensive than CJ and has a better reputation.

    Good luck!
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    replies
    hi,

    i got rid of the 3rd tier. i have changed to 1st tier 25% and 2nd 15%.

    thanks

  5. #5
    lurk
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    355
    You were ready to give out 55% of your revenue... This is reasonable for certain services promoted, although won't work for everything. If you don't mind, what are you selling or what services, and what is the average sale price?
    Jason

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thumbs up share a sale
    hi,

    i saw shareasale website and it shows that you have to pay $350 just to start. and pay $25 monthly. do you know how long does it take for them get me any affiliate. because if i wait for 3 month and i dont get any affiliates i'll be paying $350 + $25 + $25 + $25 = $425 in just 3 month; and since i signed up before to clixgalore , i didnt got any affiliate from them. so if i had paid monthly i woul have lost a lot of money.

    there is any other way i could promote my affiliate?

    thank you foryour time

  7. #7
    lurk
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by belisma
    hi,

    i saw shareasale website and it shows that you have to pay $350 just to start. and pay $25 monthly. do you know how long does it take for them get me any affiliate. because if i wait for 3 month and i dont get any affiliates i'll be paying $350 + $25 + $25 + $25 = $425 in just 3 month; and since i signed up before to clixgalore , i didnt got any affiliate from them. so if i had paid monthly i woul have lost a lot of money.

    there is any other way i could promote my affiliate?

    thank you foryour time

    You should really never rely on the network to drive affiliates. Yes, they will bring you some although don't depend on it. It's in your best interest to recruit affiliates, if you have a healthy commission structure you should be able to find niche sites that would be happy to partner with you.

    Also, that $25 fee is a minimum amount to pay out to affiliates. You are only charged that if you do not meet that threshold.
    Jason

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    You were ready to give out 55% of your revenue... This is reasonable for certain services promoted, although won't work for everything. If you don't mind, what are you selling or what services, and what is the average sale price?

    my website is my user name in the board +.com

  9. #9
    lurk
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by belisma
    my website is my user name in the board +.com

    You will find it much easier to land higher producing affiliates if you offer a higher commission percentage (rather than a lower percentage to compensate for tiered affiliates). I think most people here would agree on that one.
    Jason

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    You should really never rely on the network to drive affiliates. Yes, they will bring you some although don't depend on it. It's in your best interest to recruit affiliates, if you have a healthy commission structure you should be able to find niche sites that would be happy to partner with you.

    Also, that $25 fee is a minimum amount to pay out to affiliates. You are only charged that if you do not meet that threshold.

    hi,

    thank you for your response.

    So why do we have to go through these websites that takes a huge chunk of your money, over $350 if they cant even bring some affiliates? what would we get in exchange for paying the $25 monthly?

    also i did some research, and found some websites that claim to find some super affiliates to your website. Does anyone had any experience with that?

    Thank you for your time.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    You will find it much easier to land higher producing affiliates if you offer a higher commission percentage (rather than a lower percentage to compensate for tiered affiliates). I think most people here would agree on that one.

    thank you for the comments,

    i will think about raising the 1st tier and lowering the second. I thought that having a 2nd tier would help me promote better the affiliate programs.

  12. #12
    Affiliate Manager DavidVanHook's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2005
    Location
    Medford, OR
    Posts
    184
    Very interesting products
    A quick tip as a merchant as well as an Affiliate. You have some very beautiful items on your website but no information about them. You should add some details to your website to help convert sales for you and your affiliates. If these items where hand-made that can add value to your products. If they're a limited collection or what-ever. Another thing if you only have less than 30 or so products there is no need for a search button page, especially in your case I only found 6 items.

    Last note. Introduce your company to the vistors being directed to your website by affiliates. People want to beleive you are a reputable and safe company and not just some fly-by-night who is trying to rip them off. People on the web always have a skeptical view when common questions aren't answered and the majority of them won't even bother to take the time to contact you to get the answers.

    I hope you get some value from this. These things should be addressed before you begin recruiting affiliates or you may lose some good affiliates and have to invest more money and time later on.

    I think my Daughter would love one of those items.

  13. #13
    lurk
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by belisma
    So why do we have to go through these websites that takes a huge chunk of your money, over $350 if they cant even bring some affiliates? what would we get in exchange for paying the $25 monthly?
    It's actually very practical, especially for smaller companies who want to get into the field. If you think about how many man hours it would take to create a complete affiliate program (tracking, stats, payments, etc.) and the man hours of maintanance, you can easily justify paying to be in a network who handles all of this for you.
    Jason

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2005
    Posts
    44
    belisma, beautiful products - would you like any advice on your site? I have some if you want it.


    add: I wish I would have seen your site *before* I bought christmas presents for my son's teachers. Next year.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVanHook
    A quick tip as a merchant as well as an Affiliate. You have some very beautiful items on your website but no information about them. You should add some details to your website to help convert sales for you and your affiliates. If these items where hand-made that can add value to your products. If they're a limited collection or what-ever. Another thing if you only have less than 30 or so products there is no need for a search button page, especially in your case I only found 6 items.

    Last note. Introduce your company to the vistors being directed to your website by affiliates. People want to beleive you are a reputable and safe company and not just some fly-by-night who is trying to rip them off. People on the web always have a skeptical view when common questions aren't answered and the majority of them won't even bother to take the time to contact you to get the answers.

    I hope you get some value from this. These things should be addressed before you begin recruiting affiliates or you may lose some good affiliates and have to invest more money and time later on.

    I think my Daughter would love one of those items.
    hi,

    Thank you for for your value comments,

    I have some questions:

    the description you have said is something like:
    "HEIGHT: 1.5 inches WIDTH: 6 inches. This Brazilian jewelry box is made of small gemstones with a real blue butterfly inside the dome on the top. It makes a great gift, collectible item or to keep for yourself."

    The search i have added, because i still on process to add a lot more products. I'm just testing on how to promote this site so i can add more products.

    The introduction of our company we cant say much about it since we just started so we didnt ad anything on about us. however we add something on FAQ where we though that would bring some confidence on our customers as well as affiliates. We could add a 1800# on faq probably. but not sure if that would help.

    Again thank you for your commnets.

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by hilisa
    belisma, beautiful products - would you like any advice on your site? I have some if you want it.


    add: I wish I would have seen your site *before* I bought christmas presents for my son's teachers. Next year.

    Hi Hilisa,

    Thank you for the compliments.

    I certainly would like all the comments that you could give me on the improvement of our website. Any good or bad comments are welcome.

    Thank you for your comments in advanced.

  17. #17
    Affiliate Manager nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2005
    Posts
    762
    You can also promote your program at ABW. You might want to talk to Haiko.

  18. #18
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    I've moved this thread to the "Becoming a Merchant" forum and changed the title to reflect that you're trying to promote an affiliate program, not an affiliate site.

    Looks like a good product and great commissions! The site could use a little work, but I think you have real potential.

    I would recommend getting rid of the second tier all together. The high commissions will draw affiliates, and you're sacrificing some of those commissions to have a second tier. High commissions will work better than a second tier.

    You'll be hard pressed to beat the "bang for the buck" that you could get from ShareASale.com. You might also want to pay for a Program Announcement here. It's very reasonably priced.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by nish
    You can also promote your program at ABW. You might want to talk to Haiko.

    hi sorry, i'm kind of new on this board, who's Haiko, and can i promote on ABW?

    its it costly?

    Thank you for the information. this board has been very helpfull.

    thanks to all

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've moved this thread to the "Becoming a Merchant" forum and changed the title to reflect that you're trying to promote an affiliate program, not an affiliate site.

    Looks like a good product and great commissions! The site could use a little work, but I think you have real potential.

    I would recommend getting rid of the second tier all together. The high commissions will draw affiliates, and you're sacrificing some of those commissions to have a second tier. High commissions will work better than a second tier.

    You'll be hard pressed to beat the "bang for the buck" that you could get from ShareASale.com. You might also want to pay for a Program Announcement here. It's very reasonably priced.

    hi,

    thank you for your reply,

    what is the program announcement. and do you know about how much is it?

    how well it will bring affiliates to my website. did you had any experience with it?

    sorry for so many questions. i just want to know witch program is the best before i spent any money.

    Thank you for your time

  21. #21
    Full Member asr_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by belisma
    ...
    let me know if i should change anything or how i can improve. als let me know how can i promote.

    i thank you in advance to everyone.

    Add web analytics to your site so you can focus on improving your sales. There's not much point even bothering with an affiliate strategy if you are not working directly on your business as priority numero uno.

    Regards,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

  22. #22
    Super Sh!t Stirrer SSanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Drop the second tier! Do you think affiliates are going to go out and get people to sign up under them and then have to compete with those same people?

    I won't bring someone else into your program and I am sure no one else will either. Why would we create more competition for ourselves?

    Who wants a piece of someone else's commission when they could get the full commission themselves?

    Determine what the highest fair commission is for the sales you get and offer that commission.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by asr_guy
    Add web analytics to your site so you can focus on improving your sales. There's not much point even bothering with an affiliate strategy if you are not working directly on your business as priority numero uno.

    Regards,
    Peter

    thank you for your comments,

    i'll research about "web analytics"

  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Drop the second tier! Do you think affiliates are going to go out and get people to sign up under them and then have to compete with those same people?

    I won't bring someone else into your program and I am sure no one else will either. Why would we create more competition for ourselves?

    Who wants a piece of someone else's commission when they could get the full commission themselves?

    Determine what the highest fair commission is for the sales you get and offer that commission.

    Hi,

    thank you for your comments, you got a good point there. i thought that some people would prefer to earn at least a small percentage from the 2nd tier since the web is huge.

    thank you very much for your comments.

  25. #25
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2006
    Posts
    16
    jrod805, nice post...I curious as to what you would do to promote a new affiliate program?

    Best wishes,
    Jordan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 9th, 2011, 06:05 PM
  2. Newbie dropped from a merchant program
    By Carwn in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
  3. How to promote an affiliate program?
    By paul121doc in forum In-House Programs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •