Unhappy Who else is going to leave?
    I just received an e-mail from yet another CJ merchant who is leaving as of the new year. It states the reason is b/c CJ is doubling its Merchant Fees. I'm wondering how many other merchants will be bailing soon

Actually, it's only the minimum monthly network fee that they're doubling, and that's only for old merchants who have been on the network for a while and were grandfathered in. New merchants have had the higher minimum network fee for a while.

The new minimum is $500/month, which doesn't come into play unless the merchant is paying under $1667/month in commissions.

Personally, I think it'll improve the quality of CJ. If a merchant can't generate enough sales to pay $1667/month in commissions, that's a pretty small merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If a merchant can't generate enough sales to pay $1667/month in commissions, that's a pretty small merchant.
    Hey, we all have to start somewhere!

That does give me a target to hit, though. $16,670/mo in affiliate sales! I like how that's just the ground level... (Imagines massive warehouse-sized packing/shipping operation with my logo on the door, selling millions of dollars worth of bulbs/year!)

But, how did they come up with such a weird commission requirement? $1667...looks like they just mashed the num pad or something...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It's a $500 minimum network fee, and the network fee is 30% of the commissions paid, so the minimum commissions that you have to pay to avoid the minimum network fee is $500/0.3 = $1666.67.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

FYI - our monthly minimum for new advertisers using CJ Access has been at $500 for several years. Older programs were grandfathered at $250 since we increased it and we are just now making it apply to all advertisers using CJ Access.

As Michael pointed out, a $500 minimum means they need to be paying out at least $1,666.67 in commissions each month (<$56/day). If a program has been in our network for over three years and hasn't been able to get to this level, it might be time to reconsider their affiliate marketing strategy.

We set this minimum in order to improve the quality of opportuinities in the network for publishers.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Can you start with the smartzones. I can't add any new banners in. Since September.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Can you start with the smartzones. I can't add any new banners in. Since September.
    I checked my account and at first it looked like I could not add new ads to existing smartzones. I created a new SZ and then went back to the old ones and was able to add new ads. Have you tried this?

Otherwise, please PM me with more details so I can submit it as a bug.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

As you can imagine, a seasonal program has to cover alot of ground in a short period of time to hit that minimum threshold -- right now, we're chomping at the bit!

CJ is losing merchants for other reasons.
    That isn’t the only reason CJ is losing merchants.

There are far too many "technical problems". The new reporting is confusing and not user friendly. Many wish the last upgrade had not been implemented because instead of improving the reporting feature it made it cumbersome to work with and it has several "bugs".

The past few months, sales have not been tracked correctly on CJ so the affiliates are complaining to the merchants. Affiliates are asking the merchants to start using other affiliate networks if they are able to. I have noticed a trend of companies that are doing just that.

That’s another reason for CJ to raise the minimum for older merchants. For smaller companies, the higher minimum makes it difficult to sell a product on multiple networks since they have to maintain a minimum on CJ.

Lightbulb
    are we still waiting for Part 2 of the Current Grand Plan?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread