Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Share your favorite recipes!
    With 21,000 members, there are bound to be some good recipes. Share your favorite recipes here!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

BBQ Ribs
    Using this method, the ribs are incredibly tender and have a wonderful glaze of barbecue on them.

UPDATED: Preheat the oven to 400. (My original post said 300 for 3 hours, but I've found that 400 for 1 hour with water works even better.)

Prepare a seasoning mix. I use salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I don't measure anything, but typically use about half as much of the onion and garlic powder and I put the mix in an old shaker.

ADDED: Remove the membrane from the bottom of the ribs. This can be a bit tricky until you perfect the technique. Slide a knife between the membrane and one of the bones in the middle. When you've separated it enough to put your finger between the membrane and the bone, reach through and separate it to the opposite site, then almost all the way to one side of the ribs, then all the way to the other, then pull it off. The membrane is edible, but the flavor will get into the meat better without it and the texture can be distracting (now that you know about it -- you probably never noticed before!). You can find demo videos on YouTube, but most of them remove it from one side to the other. I find it much easier to remove it from the middle out.

ADDED: I have a standalone smoker now, so I've added an extra step at the beginning. After seasoning the ribs, I smoke them for about 90 minutes with a mix of hickory and maple wood. This step gives the meat a fabulous flavor. If you don't have a smoker, you can skip this step or perhaps add some liquid smoke when you bake/boil the ribs. I know that some restaurants do this.

Cut the ribs into halfs, thirds, or fourths. (You can use spare ribs, but baby backs are the best. You can usually find them at Sams Club for around $3/pound.) They'll be so tender that they'll fall apart when you try to turn them if you leave them whole.

UPDATED: Put a rack in the bottom of a roasting pan and add about 1/4" - 1/2" of water. Season both sides of the ribs and pour a little barbecue sauce over them, putting them into a roasting pan as you season them. Cover the pan with a lid or tin foil. Cook them at 400 for about an hour. This will essentially steam the ribs. This step is what makes them tender. Take them out of the oven when the house smells so good that you can't stand it any more. (Be careful of the steam when you remove the foil!) The meat should be pulling away from the bone.

ADDED: Now, you have a choice. If you're not ready to cook the ribs yet, let them cool and then put them in the fridge. I often do this, preparing the ribs (up through this point) a day in advance. The rest only takes 15-20 minutes (once the grill is heated up), so it's easy to coordinate and serve it hot off the grill.

When you're ready to finish the ribs, heat your grill as hot as it will go. Spray the grill with a nonstick spray. Put the ribs on the grill and brush on barbecue sauce. (My favorites are anything from Tony Romas or KC Masterpeice.) If it flames up, let it--It'll just glaze the sauce. (Sometimes, I even spray the nonstick spray under the ribs to cause a flame-up.) Turn the ribs over every 3-5 minutes and brush on more barbecue sauce. You want to get a good thick layer of glazed barbecue sauce on it, which usually takes about 2-3 layers on each side.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MichaelColey; April 17th, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Updated with my latest techniques
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Great idea, Michael!

I'm a cake kook, so if I tell you that a cake is awesome you'd better believe it is AWESOME!!!

This is my all-time most favorite cake to make and to eat. It's the dessert that family and friends request again and again.

Orange-Soaked Bundt Cake

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/p...0030_rec05.asp

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Rhea, what a great site! I've already printed off a bunch of recipes, thanks!

:-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Hi Michael

It looks like you have an awesome BBQ. It looks like a Six burner? What is the brand name of the BBQ? Have you thought about Pimping your BBQ up with a Wok Side burner.

I will try your Spare Ribs recipe too. Sounds delicious!
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

It's a built-in 48" Thermador. It has four burners (20k BTU/ea) plus two infrared heaters (12k BTU/ea) for the rotisserie and a burner for the smokebox (5k BTU). It'll get up to about 600 degrees. That's five slabs of ribs in the picture (cut into 15 thirds), with room to spare. It has about six square feet of grill area.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I am jealous!
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

ABW Ambassador
    Quick and easy is the name of the game:

1.25lbs italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled.
    2T olive oil
    one chopped onion
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    28oz can of whole tomatos
    16oz package of rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
    1C shredded mozzarella
    2T parmesan cheese

Brown sausage in oil with onion and garlic. Add tomatos and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Mix with rotini, cover with cheese.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Super Easy & Fast Sweet & Sour Meatballs (perfect for a dish to pass event & always a hit)

2 12 oz jars of Heinz chili sauce
    1 22 oz jar of Welchs Grape Jelly
    1 large bag of frozen meatballs (like the size you get a Gordon Foods)

Heat the chili sauce and grape jelly until well blended. Add meatballs and cook on medium heat with a lid for about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.

You can also do these in a slow cooker or crock pot.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

That's it...we're all going to Michael's house for a cookout.

I'll bring the cake!

I'll have to dig out the recipe, but I have to tell you this story. On the drive back from Georgia with my mom last week I listened to John Grisham's "The Broker". Not to give anything away, but much of it takes place in Italy where one of the characters has to learn Italian and one of the methods is taking him to various restaurants where they describe in detail all the foods and how they are made. Well, by the end of the trip I was so hungry for Italian food that I locked myself in the kitchen for two hours with a cart full of ingredients, a bottle of red Italian wine and an Italian music CD. Surprisingly, given the fact I finished the bottle of wine before I finished the meal and the most Italian thing I've ever made is spaghetti, the meal was a great success and the family told me I could make it anytime.

Or was it the fact I was out of their hair for two hours and pretty mellow when I came out? Hmmmmm?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Too funny, 7, I just finished reading that book last night. It cracked me up that the main character's motivation for learning the Italian language was so he could read the menus and place his order. And yet...I understand completely.

BTW, my favorite cooking magazine is called "Cucina." It has unbelievable Italian recipes in it as well as food and cooking related articles about the geography and history of Italy. The photos alone are enough to send me into a rapture.

Clean up some green beans from the garden. If they have some seed, so much the better. Boil 'em up until they are almost mushy. Drain off most the water and add a generous spoonfull of bacon grease. Cook 'em until the water is gone and they have absorbed a good bit of the grease. Add as much crumbled bacon as you can spare. Salt to taste.

Substitute any good greens, store bought, home grown or wild, for the beans. If the greens are too strong of flavor after the first boiling, pour the water off and re-boil as many times as needed to get a nice flavor.

Eat with corn bread and butter. Don't tell your doctor!
    Last edited by SSanf; December 13th, 2005 at 05:39 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Pasta with Broccoli

1 pound of penne rigate (or fusilli works well, too.) Di Cecco pasta is the best if you can find it.

1 head broccoli

cup extra virgin olive oil

3 or 4 good size garlic cloves, crushed

Salt & pepper to taste

Handful of raw sunflower seeds.

Bring pot of salted water to a boil dump the pasta in with a few drops (or more) of any cooking oil.

At the same time, boil broccoli in lightly salted water until soft but not mushy.

In large bowl, add olive oil, crushed garlic, salt & pepper.

Remove broccoli from heat. Drain most of the water, keep about half. Pour broccoli and remaining water into the olive oil mixture and smash it up some.

Drain pasta, but not too much. You should have water still dripping from the colander. Toss it into the broccoli and olive oil mixture before the water drains completely. Throw the sunflower seeds in. Stir it all up to coat the pasta well.

Serves 4
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Network Rep
    Gingerbread Cake

Alright, I'm whipping this off from memory, since I've made it so often!
    You use a food processor, and it takes about 5 minutes to get it in the oven.

3 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp salt

1 cup dark brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 sticks butter, room temperature and cut into 8 pieces

3/4 cup molasses
    1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9" pan.

Place flour, spices, baking soda and salt in food processor, process for a few seconds to mix, put aside in large bowl.

Place brown sugar and eggs in food processor and blend for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of food processor bowl about halfway through.

Add butter, process for 1 minute.

Add molasses and buttermilk, process for a few seconds to mix.

Add reserved flour mixture, pulse processor on and off for about 10 seconds, until almost all the flour is mixed in. Do not overmix.

Pour batter into prepared pan, bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Serve as is, or with whipped cream or simply heavy cream poured on top.

Delish! You can fiddle with the spices to change the taste (I've used fresh ginger, crystallized ginger, nutmeg, mace, etc) and substitute soured milk for buttermilk (1 cup milk + 1 tbsp vinegar, let it sit for awhile to blend).
    [FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Jennifer
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    e. [EMAIL=jenniferk@shareresults.com]jenniferk@shareresults.com[/EMAIL]
    t. 514-849-8595
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]
    "Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." William Safire[/LEFT][/FONT]

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    If your trying the ribs I use a little different rub, I do not measure anymore but it probably goes something like this

garlic powder - a few spinkles
    salt - teaspoon
    pepper - teaspoon
    chili powder - maybe 1 tablespoon
    granulated sugar - 1/4 cup or so
    paprika - 1/4 cup or so
    Cumin - a couple of table spoons

Mix and rub on your ribs. Apply a few hours before cooking.

Gooey Cake

Start with a yellow cake mix.
    Add 1 stick of melted butter or margarine
    to the dry mix and stir until all the mix is moistened, then press into a 13 X 9 pan. Set aside

Mix the following together with mixer:
    3 eggs
    3 cups powdered sugar
    2 - 8 oz pcks cream cheese (1 pck will actually do, it just tastes better with 2)

Pour that mixture over the previously pressed crust in the pan.
    Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until the topping looks "set". Don't overbake - it's like brownies. It will set up some while cooling.

Dust with powdered sugar and eat like brownies. The only problem with this cake is you can't hide it from yourself. It takes even better frozen in the middle of the night!

Great ribs, Michael. This is close to my own recipe. The difference is that for the oven slow cooking I cut the BBQ sauce with water. The sauce won't burn and it soaks into the meat nicely. I just find a half-full bottle of sauce in the fridge, add hot water and shake it up. When I put the ribs on the grill I open a new bottle and brush several layers on it.

Last night my wife just bought a pig and there's no room in the freezer. Forget about turkey, ham or roast for Christmas. I'm firing up the barbie and the smoker for a pig feast, even if it snows. While I'm at it, might as well make potato salad, cole slaw and corn on the cob.
    ~Ernie

I don't even google anymore for recipes, except in rare cases. My favorite recipe site is www.recipezaar.com . It's a brilliant database application. Easy to search, narrow searches, search by ingredient even (have odd ingredients and need a dinner idea?), great recipes.

Plus you can add your comments, upload images, and add your own recipes with the free account. I have yet to upgrade (I do try to see if any of the AdSense ads interest me...). I always add a comment to any recipe I use as my contribution back. I've added a couple of images where there was none for the recipe I used. The comments help a lot to sift through for good or great recipes.

Pumpkin Delight
    Yeah, I love ReceipeZaar.com, too. One of my many site ideas was a recipe site. (I had already registered AddYourRecipes.com). I envisioned many of the same features that RecipeZaar has, but after I found RecipeZaar, I doubt I'll ever build mine.

Great recipes! I can't wait to try some of them.

Here's one of my wife's favorites. I'm not sure where she found it.

MAIN INGREDIENT:

1 15oz can of pumpkin
    1 12oz can evaporated milk
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla

TOPPING:

1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup melted butter
    1 box yellow cake mix (without pudding)

DIRECTIONS:

Mix and pour main ingredients into a greased 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Sprinkle 1 box yellow cake mix (without pudding), 1 cup pecans and then pour 1 cup melted butter on top of mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Michael: Great thread!

As a twist on your ribs ... my rub changes frequently, but is usually heavy on garlic powder and chipotle. Also, I put my ribs in an agate broiler with bourbon or very dark beer and cook them for several hours at very low heat (175 or so), then finish them on the grill, preferably with a heavy dose of Arthur Bryant's sauce. Yummy!

Someone here shared a recipe for stuffed steaks quite a ways back that I've tweaked and used frequently. Basically, its sauteeing garlic & onions in butter, then mixing that with feta, blue or gorgonzola cheese. I sometimes mix in some finely chopped spinach. The steaks are stuffed then prepared in my usual manner.

Affiliate Manager Brian - Panda Software's Avatar
    Protein Pudding
    For those beefcakes out there...

1 Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Package
    1/2 Cup Chocolate Protein Pudding
    Add some Milk, stir with a spoon, add mini marshmellows and throw it in the fridge.

20 Minutes later. Boom. 30 G's of solid Protein.

Continue until you're ripped, then run for Governor.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Gooey Cake

Start with a yellow cake mix.
    Add 1 stick of melted butter or margarine...
    Just wanted to let you know that my daughter made this last night to take to our family Christmas party today.

We snuck a piece and it is pretty good.

I think she could have let it cook just a little longer though. The topping part is more or a thick custard consistency rather than a brownie consistency, but it is still really good! I think everyone else will enjoy it...
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Mine did that yesterday, too. Next time I'm going to use only 1 pck of cream cheese and see what happens. Time before I baked it a little longer and it was a little hard. I do experiment a little bit too much some times, but I have learned one thing about this particular cake. Even though it seems like it would be perfect in chocolate, it really doesn't turn out very well that way.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's a built-in 48" Thermador. It has four burners (20k BTU/ea) plus two infrared heaters (12k BTU/ea) for the rotisserie and a burner for the smokebox (5k BTU). It'll get up to about 600 degrees. That's five slabs of ribs in the picture (cut into 15 thirds), with room to spare. It has about six square feet of grill area.
    Boys and their toys!

A nice holiday take on the martini is a to fill a martini shaker with a blend of white creme de cacao, vanilla vodka, and a splash of peppermint schnapps.

Shake until chilled and well blended.

Pour into martini glasses and serve with a mini candy cane hooked onto the side, or rim the glass in crushed candy canes.

Tastes like Chocolate Mint! MM MM GOOD! (they were a hit at my party this weekend)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast