Adsense on merchant's site
    I'm a budding AM that has a question regarding Adsense. I can understand affiliates not wanting to see adsense on the landing page of the merchant, but my site has probably 75 other articles in which I do have adsense. No affiliates will link to those articles. I'm guessing it is appropriate to have those ads up - just not on the landing page (and subsequent sales copy pages).

Am I correct in my thinking?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hi ynab-

If the traffic your affiliates send can find their way to the pages that
    have the adsense blocks...from where they landed...you'll get heat
    for the leaks.

As an AM, I've had personal experience with this. The merchant
    I used to work for promptly removed adsense due to the affiliate
    backlash.

Drop me a line and I'll fill you in with more detailed info..

Hmm, can't "drop you a line" as of yet. I'll need to hit some mystery post number (great idea not posting the # required by the way, very good idea!)

Wow, my Adsense doesn't make me a ton, but it does cover all expenses for running the site. I guess I need to weigh the added profits that Affiliates will bring in over the AS that's running...seems like a no brainer if my recruiting goes well.

Affiliate Manager
    One possibility is to register another domain and put whatever you are selling on the new domain and then direct all affiliate traffic to that domain instead of the domain with the adsense ads on it.

Hmm, it's probably way too integrated to make it worth it to do that (considering my lack of technical abilities). I would like to bag AS anyway as I think it spams up the site. It'd be nice to be in the 10% of sites that don't have AS somewhere

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ynab, I just emailed you through the form on your site with some info..

Stay in touch.

ABW Ambassador
    One possibility is to register another domain and put whatever you are selling on the new domain and then direct all affiliate traffic to that domain instead of the domain with the adsense ads on it.
    That gives the affiliate the opportunity to send their traffic to a "sales" site instead of a content site.

Hmm, it's probably way too integrated to make it worth it to do that (considering my lack of technical abilities).
    If it's too integrated, then what are the chances of converting sales? If sales aren't being made now, without affiliate traffic, what are the chances of affiliates making $ on the clicks they send you?

I would like to bag AS anyway as I think it spams up the site. It'd be nice to be in the 10% of sites that don't have AS somewhere
    There's a place for both, content sites and sales sites, but an affiliate who's also running Adsense won't send you traffic to click on the ads on your site, they'd rather their visitors click ads on their own sites - unless clicks to merchants will result in sales, and there is a difference between how content pages and sales pages convert.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That gives the affiliate the opportunity to send their traffic to a "sales" site instead of a content site.
    The site is a "sales" site. I only provide content to add credibility, but even more so, to convince the reader that they need a personal budgeting solution.

If it's too integrated, then what are the chances of converting sales? If sales aren't being made now, without affiliate traffic, what are the chances of affiliates making $ on the clicks they send you?
    It's making sales now just fine. It is all geared toward making the sale. The AS was there to provide an extra bit of revenue on exiting visitors - I saw no drop in the conversion rate when I put AS up - but understandably will drop it if it meant I would get even just a few quality affiliates.

There's a place for both, content sites and sales sites, but an affiliate who's also running Adsense won't send you traffic to click on the ads on your site, they'd rather their visitors click ads on their own sites - unless clicks to merchants will result in sales, and there is a difference between how content pages and sales pages convert.
    That's totally on target with my initial thinking.

ABW Ambassador
    An ideal solution would be only to display AdSense on those pages to traffic not of affiliate origin. IE: If it's an affiliate click, then the AdSense ads don't show up. Coding wise, it's pretty straightfoward to implement something like this.

I think I'm just going to dump AS and make myself focus on conversions anyway

I have seen Adsense ads on some merchant sites, it doesn't look professional.

I wouldn't suggest it.

Alright, AS is dumped. It does look nicer. Now to find some affiliates.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread