Wink How many of us are truly making $$$$
    May ask how many are making an income from using webmerge? No specifics, just give the rest of us an idea of how long it takes to earn even the smallest amounts of income using webmerge or any database with your online site, if you don't mind, please!!!!
    Thanks

15 years and counting
    Webmerge is just a tool. It's well done. But it's like all these programs doing mass mailing. Do you check the quality of the lists? Too many ignorants believe they are going to make money duplicating the same content over and over with the same datafeed given to 10 000 affiliates before them.
    It doesn't work this way.

I agree with that theory, but how do you combat it in order to develop even the smallest of chances for success online???

15 years and counting
    There's a learning curve. Try to find your own way to promote products. Be unique. Be interesting enough to get bookmarked. Provide a new service.
    Avoid to do the same than thousand of other affiliates if you want to make money.

Great idea... The question is to figure out that something "new" that no one else has and everyone would love to see.... It is almost as hard as convincing people the saving processes available to all to conserve on today's high energy prices when no one comprehends the processes. Very tricky... One more question, if I do develop a way to keep people's interest, how should I get the word out, it will take a while by word of mouth...??
    Thanks.

15 years and counting
    Before it was easy to use different scripts like "Tell a Friend" or " Send a Postcard". It doesn't work too well anymore, people don't like to get emails on top of their usual load of spam.
    If you have a truly unique service or product do a PR. Try to convince the media to cover your story. The best is still the word of mouth. It works.

hey, zeus. Could answer a couple of unrelated webmerge questions for me if you can?
    How would I link a .txt file with keywords to an html page using an editor?
    That's the only I can think of currently, but I'll understand if you can't answer that one.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgroup2
    hey, zeus. Could answer a couple of unrelated webmerge questions for me if you can?
    How would I link a .txt file with keywords to an html page using an editor?
    That's the only I can think of currently, but I'll understand if you can't answer that one.
    Thanks.
    lots of missing detail here.

Is the text file a datafeed? If not, describe the text file.

Is this html page already made or one that is created with webmerge?

By "link" do you mean create metatag keywords? If not, describe what you mean by link.

15 years and counting
    All the questions asked by jazzylee77 are important.
    If your content, text, links, keywords are in a database, Webmerge will do a good job to create static html pages and publish them for you.
    Just remember, to make money, you need to provide useful information to your visitors. Webmerge is just a tool to present that information.
    You have more information on how to use Webmerge here:
    Frank's WebMerge Tutorial | Web-Procreate WebMerge Tutorial | WebMerge FAQ

And, you want us to copy and paste and write links on pages by hand because.........

As if my arm and wrist doesn't get sore enough just working with the feeds to set things up the way I want them!

What are you thinking????

I guess, I must be making enough to keep doing it year in and year out.

I honestly don't remember when I started or when I started to make money or even when I bought Webmerge.

At my age the years just sort of blend together.

But, I do remember my first check was $35 from Fingerhut and that was a very, very long time ago, probably a decade ago.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    One more question, if I do develop a way to keep people's interest, how should I get the word out, it will take a while by word of mouth...??
    That question has nothing to do with WebMerge, but one simple way is to learn a bit about the basics of SEO and make the pages and site search engine friendly and start pulling a bit of traffic on the less competitive keywords, then progress to the harder ones.

copy and paste and write links on pages by hand because.........
    In my case, because it's the only way I know how and it's become a deeply imbedded habit. And yes, it sure murder on the hands and wrists. BUT I took the step of buying WebMerge Sunday night as a holiday present for myself, figuring it's a tool that's flexible enough that it can be adapted and a big plus from my POV is that the pages are created on our own computer, so they can be individually tweaked before uploading if someone wants to, which is what I'll probably do.

At my age the years just sort of blend together.
    I'm pretty close to your neighborhood Sandra, and quite honestly getting the "full version" was mostly a commitment to myself to keep on learning and moving forward. The biggest hurdle will be learning to handle the feeds - especially getting the categories and sub-categories separated out properly, because at this point I've forgotten just about all the Excel I used to know when I worked with it and used it all the time.

Is this html page already made or one that is created with webmerge?
    You prepare the "file" or spreadsheet that contains the data you want to use, and WebMerge "reads" the file you tell it to and creates the HTML pages for you automatically.

this was an html page that was already made and I was trying to "link" the .txt file from excel with the keywords to it. I saw it in a .css or .html book on how to do it, just wanted to double check with you most experienced and wise programmers.
    thanks

Here is another good question, how would handle uploading more than ten feeds at once using webmerge with limited communication speeds whether it be dsl, cable, or other?

Is there a way to compact the number of feeds? How about removal of older pages that aren't used anymore?

you don't upload feeds with webmerge. You process the feeds and create static html pages on your computer. Then you upload those.

The number of feeds used to create your files doesn't matter. But the size and number of files can be an issue. A high number of small files compresses well. Zipping the files first saves loads of time. I usually upload the zip to a new folder..unzip...make sure all is good, then rename the old folder, change the new folder to the original folder name.

I've finally broken myself of the habit of watching progress bars! I start and then make tea...read a chapter of a novel... a forced computer break.

on further thought...maybe I misunderstood...webmerge can upload your files...I don't use that feature, so i forgot.

That's the trick Jazzy. I'll need to figure out how to get my files all unzipped once uploaded. If I can do that, it'll save me a ton of time from now on. Thanks a bunch. I won't stop working on my programming until I can get a working database in place and functioning though, automation is a key here for success, but just one of the many for success.

How people do manage to have unique content on every single page published? Sounds impossible on a 100000+ site for me. But I am wrong for sure... anybody willing to explain me?

Quote Originally Posted by falco85
    How people do manage to have unique content on every single page published? Sounds impossible on a 100000+ site for me. But I am wrong for sure... anybody willing to explain me?
    Actually, it is nearly impossible to have unique content on that many pages. I think a better term/phrase to use would be "Different than everybody else," rather than unique (maybe that's the same thing after all?). Instead of shooting for "unique," shoot for "different."

Something that WebMerge users have over most automated script users is the ability to "massage" the data feed file before you use it to run the build. The number of complex search and replaces used in Excel, Access, AMWSO's tool or one's favorite text editor over a three to five-hour period can't be compared with a script that might simply make the keywords all lower case. While there's a lot to be said about what a script can do to make one's life easier, the pages you can generate with WebMerge can easily be more "unique" than any script generated page. This is a special strength that you can use to your advantage with WebMerge.

Spending a few hours on your feed before you build your pages will pay off in spades after you publish. That is really the only hint I can give you right now. I am thinking of including a little of that in my tutorial pages, I haven't decided yet. It is also possible to blend some of the technologies, for example what about having WebMerge generated pages that have php scripts calling relevant info? For example, one might have Overstock DVD's on their site, and the final published pages show the DVD from Overstock and the price from Amazon ! One more thing unique about what you have done.

As for money earned. Yup. My first increases in commish, happened about two-months after I published my first feed pages. It has grown from there. I base 98% on what I do through organic searches. A very risky business plan indeed, but it has worked. I will also tell you that not all of the pages that I have built have stayed in g­­gle (that's okay, there are some other SE's sending me some great traffic ). So if you have only one feed and one site, perhaps you might want to think about more sites/feeds.

There are more hints out there, but I'll leave that for some other time. Don't despair, and Merry Christmas.

Fred
    Last edited by buy_online; December 17th, 2005 at 03:37 PM.

I mean I bought two websites trying to make my best, putting some original text I've written and organizing the pages in a natural way (a 3tier and a 4tier site each). Despite this, I'm not having traffic yet even if I built lots of links, simply I think that google thinks I have duplicate content or something like this how can I do to improve?thanks

OT

buy_online
    I cannot contact you through PM because I don't have the permissions to do it, how can I have a brief conversation with you? thanks

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmgroup2
    May ask how many are making an income from using webmerge?
    I can say that many hundreds of affiliates are using WebMerge, and some quite successfully, but I wouldn't attribute their success to WebMerge alone.

As another poster pointed out, WebMerge is just a tool, as capable or not as the person using it.

The keys to success in this field seem to draw from many talents; WebMerge merely takes the drudgery out of generating static pages, but the rest of AM success is up to the ingenuity and dilligence of the user.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by falco85
    No it is NOT impossible!

You just use my content generator to crank out unique paragraphs and insert the topic into the paragraphs. The paragraphs created will be automatically written on your static html pages.

How many combinations of phrases and words is determined by how many variables you put in your text file. The are multiplied exponentially. And, if you use the name of the product as the subject of the paragraph, every page will be different from every other page you make.

If you create your text file properly, there will be little if any difference between what My Content Generator writes and normal written language. The only thing that you need to watch is not mixing singulars and plurals for your subjects if you expect noun verb agreement. In other words, don't say tuba one place and violins another place. Either make it tubas and violins or tuba and violin.

That's about it.

It is pretty cinchy combined with Webmerge writing the tags on the pages for you automatically.

You just need to take some time writing a good .txt file.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Being honest I don't believe much in content making scripts, how can you demonstrate that it effectively works with the modern google algos?

Yes, Virginia there is a My Content Generator. You can believe in it.

How can you prove ANYTHING works with the modern google algos? The fact is you can't. And, as soon as anyone gets a clue, eveyone starts to do it that way and they change the algo.

I make no such claim. It would not be possible because so much depends on what you put into your text file which is user dependant, what you use for keywords, the site itself, links to the site and Goddess knows what else.

The generated paragraph is only one piece of the equation.

But, that wasn't the question.

The question was
    How people do manage to have unique content on every single page published? Sounds impossible on a 100000+ site for me. But I am wrong for sure... anybody willing to explain me? [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Well, My Content Generator is one way to do it.

One thing I WILL say though is that it will certainly make every page of yours different from any other page out there.
    Last edited by SSanf; December 18th, 2005 at 09:12 AM.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread