Unhappy Zappos Affiliation Terminated
    I have been an affiliate with zappos for over a year and have been linking directly to their site with no problems. Then out of the blue they terminate me from their program and at this point I do not know why. I suspect because I am linking directly to their page. I have not heard back from them.

Has anyone else been terminated?

gail

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Shame on them for not wanting you to jump in as a PPCSE middleman quickly setting your cookie playing the keywords they use.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to hear back from them as to why they nuked me.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    .... I suspect because I am linking directly to their page. I have not heard back from them.

Has anyone else been terminated?

gail
    Linking directly to their page ? If one couldn't link directly to their page, how would one get sales ??

I hope it was a mistake and you'd be reinstated soon.

what do u mean linking directly to their page?

ABW Ambassador
    maybe you're bidding on a protected keyword.

i'm not familiar with zappos' policy about bidding, but i do see that there are affiliates bidding on the zappos name itself. maybe it has something to do with that.

Have you had any sales in the past six months with Zappos? I have been dropped from two CJ merchants because of lack of sales. CJ is doing this. I have contacted the merchants and one of them has a program on another network where they suggested I apply and was accepted.

Gene
    TCS

Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Have you had any sales in the past six months with Zappos? I have been dropped from two CJ merchants because of lack of sales. CJ is doing this. I have contacted the merchants and one of them has a program on another network where they suggested I apply and was accepted.

Gene
    TCS
    Doncha just love it when it's YOU that's expected to be making the sales? What do they think? Do they think WE have the checkout on our sites???? F'n meatheads~!

From Zappos Advertiser Detail page;

"In addition, publishers are not allowed to have Zappos (or any variation of Zappos) anywhere in their display URL. Violators risk losing all unpaid commissions and termination of their Zappos relationship. These restrictions are strictly enforced 24-hours/day, 7-days/week."

Zappos came out with this restriction in January 2005 after Google changed their policy to only showing one destination URL per page view in the sponsored ads section.

That said, it is irresponsible to have restrictions that can result in termination ONLY in the blurb on the advertiser detail page and no where else.

Such restrictions should ideally be in a special terms and conditions agreement you have to acknowledge as other merchants have done. In fact you could argue they have illegally terminated your releationship because you never were properly informed or agreed to that condition.

At the very least such restrictions should appear in the "keyword link" page.

On the other hand, affiliates should take some due dilligence and read;

1) the welcome email you recieve when you join the merchant which often does stipulate such conditions

2) the advertsier detail page

3) the "keyword link" on the advertsier page if there is one

4) the special terms agreement if there is one

CJ should focus on ways to improve the process and communications between merchants and affiliates so that this type of unfortunate situation doesn't occur.

I noticed that a new merchant on CJ "Verizon VOIP" has the same issue and I asked the AM to do something about it. They said they are looking into it.

From what it says in CJ, it sounds like you can't use Zappos.Mysite.com as your display URL, need to keep bidding on their TMs to the minimum and if you do bid on the Zappos name you can't link directly to the Zappos site from the ad in the search engine.

Hey, is this just for paid stuff?
    I use zappos in my url for my store pages like:
    http://mysite.com/zappos/sandals/beach/123

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    I may be wrong but it sounds like she had PPC ads (targeting Zappos keywords) that went directly from the ad to the Zappos site via an affiliate link. In other words she doesn't even have a site, she's just linking directly from the PPC ad to Zappos.

If that's the case then Zappos would (and should) terminate her. If that's not the case then Gail should explain what she meant by "linking directly to their page".

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    I may be wrong but it sounds like she had PPC ads (targeting Zappos keywords) that went directly from the ad to the Zappos site via an affiliate link. In other words she doesn't even have a site, she's just linking directly from the PPC ad to Zappos.

If that's the case then Zappos would (and should) terminate her. If that's not the case then Gail should explain what she meant by "linking directly to their page".

-- Todd
    I think she ment exactly that.
    She was linking directly to them through PPC ad. If you do it through adwords you must have zappos.com as your url. That is against their (zappos) rules.

I think they were right about shutting her down but i think they should have at least send her anote.
    Israeli Guy

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by tmartini

-- Todd
    I know this is an older post, but why is this bad? If the link goes to zappos and zappos gets paid, then why is this a bad thing? Is it just because it violated zappos rules about having zappos.com in the adwords ad? Thanks. I'm new. I just did not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I know this is an older post, but why is this bad? If the link goes to zappos and zappos gets paid, then why is this a bad thing? Is it just because it violated zappos rules about having zappos.com in the adwords ad? Thanks. I'm new. I just did not understand.
    Zappos is a registered trademarked tradename -- don't touch trademarked tradenames especially in the Adsense/Adwords and you'll be okay.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread