Datafeed S.O.S
    Getting back to this thread my search landed me here. Is anyone using creloaded or oscommerse to implement datafeeds? I see much promise for CMS and datafeeds. I messed with easy populate and was able to get a feed to work to some extent even with offsite images but it was a mess. The problem is linking to offsite images and having the cart goto the affiliate site.
    I somewhat new to datafeeds ... 6 months old. Most of my stuff goes back 6 years and is static txt or FP created. Never messed with dreamweaver though I am confident it is a fine tool FP always did the job paid the hosting fees and put a few bucks in my pocket. I started this with the premis if I ever had a losing month I would quit doing it from day one. Now I want to take it to the next level.
    Is it worth it to learn php to create sites that can generate pages on a fly from a mySQL database from several imported affiliate feeds? I' am familiar with programming languages many years ago as I have wrote and compiled code years ago but long forgotten (fortran, basic, assembly, c+) but PHP would be something totally new to me. I can look at php coding and make some sence of it but to write from scratch would be out of the question. I have messed with webmerge and think it is a great product but it is not the route I want to go I want to stick with dynamic sites.
    I have seen some supprising results from prexisting scripts some of it in perl implementing datafeeds. Cusimano scripts are great and I have tried a few other scripts but it is too soon to comment on those as they are yet to be properly spidered/indexed.
    I am at a point where I want to create sites from datafeeds without being stuck to a certain merchant based on availible scripts.
    Any advice would be valuble.

Is it worth it to learn php to create sites that can generate pages on a fly from a mySQL
    IMO YES. If you are planning to stay with any kind of web development, it makes life much easier if you know some language whether it be coldfusion or or doing asp type pages or php. I started out like you although I knew perl but hadn't done much coding in the past 3-4 years.It wasn't so difficult to pick another language up even with 2 small kids tugging at me.

It is much easier if you've coded before all of the basics are the same.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

you'll have to hack os a bit to get it to work, but it can be done. The biggest issue i see so far is getting the feeds to update, without wiping everything out when refreshing (kinda a newbe here if you have an answer i'm all ears...opps eyes that is).

There is also the issue of what to do with items that are the same from multiple advertisers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    you'll have to hack os a bit to get it to work, but it can be done. The biggest issue i see so far is getting the feeds to update, without wiping everything out when refreshing (kinda a newbe here if you have an answer i'm all ears...opps eyes that is).

There is also the issue of what to do with items that are the same from multiple advertisers.
    I take it your using E.P. to import the feed is there anyway to get the offsite images to show and the cart button to goto the offsite merchant.

I can look at php coding and make some sense of it but to write from scratch would be out of the question
    It's surprisingly easy to get a working knowledge of PHP and be able to write the scripts needed to do your own dynamic site. It's another level to where the guys are who contribute to the big projects like oscommerce. With a working knowledge you can adapt the free scripts out there to do all kind of neat stuff.

Get one good book, spend a little time, and you can have all kinds of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    It's surprisingly easy to get a working knowledge of PHP and be able to write the scripts needed to do your own dynamic site. It's another level to where the guys are who contribute to the big projects like oscommerce. With a working knowledge you can adapt the free scripts out there to do all kind of neat stuff.

Get one good book, spend a little time, and you can have all kinds of fun.
    Hey thanks for your opinion and support. From what I have seen out there and looking at a php coding book at 900+ pages I think I will wonder down this loners path. There are many existing solutions out there but none really fit the bill. Either too expensive, too limiting (stuck with certain merchants) or don't create dynamic sites or create fantastic seo links. Any other knowlegdable people out there for some great input would be great! Thanks bumpaw ....

Reaper,

I had someone else do it for me, so i'm not completely savvy on what they did, but it can be done ;-)

as I mentioned the biggest issue I have now is updating with new feeds and how to display the same item from more than one advertiser...I have to find the hacks for those next, but it's looking good so far

Quote Originally Posted by reaper
    Is it worth it to learn php to create sites that can generate pages on a fly from a mySQL database from several imported affiliate feeds? ......I am at a point where I want to create sites from datafeeds without being stuck to a certain merchant based on availible scripts.
    Any advice would be valuble.
    Yes it is worthwhile to learn php and mysql. The two go together like bread and butter. It isn't really that difficult. If you don't want to buy one of those 900 page books (I didn't either!), then start surfing around for tutorials. There are a great many good ones out there. Visit some of the php specific forums (fora ?) where you can read and ask questions.

When you learn how to import your data to a mysql db, then you can play around with the different ways to display your selected data via php. It works.

If you learn how to do those things you won't be stuck with any single merchant. You can have multiple merchants in one large db, or many smaller db's with similar products, or merchant specific db's. It's up to you how you want it done.

You indicated that you had prior coding experience, so it shouldn't be too hard. The differences are mainly in the way the queries are defined for the output you desire.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

php is so easy php is so easy to learn and mysql is easier, i advice u can simply download the php manual from the pjhp site read it and try to make some scripts and after that all be easy and u can make your own cms if you want

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread