Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Lightbulb 1 yr Anniversary of Google Meltdown
    It's been a full year since the big google meltdown.

Where are you today? Better off? Worse off? How did you adjust?

My income is about what it was before the meltdown except it is more stable. Also the future looks brighter. I have some new sites in development that should do very well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    PPC rides again!

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Last time I did PPC I couldn't have cared less about Google. It is not in my nature to let some SE dictate to me (I truly do NOT give a flying squirrel what "Google wants" and never will! If I was going to take orders, I would have kept doing empl*yment!), so I won't be destroying my own conversion ratios to please Goofle's randomly-moving target.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Things have been pretty stable for me. However, I'm noticing more and more traffic from Yahoo these days and it seems to convert much better than Google for some reason.

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I was hit very hard this very day last year. My traffic dropped by about 95% over the period of Dec 16-19,2004. I still haven't recovered fully and I have had to re-learn quite a bit - like PPC, and responsible datafeed usage.

It's been a lean year but this month has me back on track - although only at about 50% of last Decembers income (before the 16th!).

The best prevention of this not happening again and low PPC rates is COMPETITION. I'm glad Yahoo and MSN are starting to show signs of catching up. While Google might not like that word, most of the rest of us, do!

I wish Yahoo & MSN were competing!
    Any ground they've made is up is only due to google slippage.

Actually I wasn't hit by the rerankings that bad but it made me make better sites and it is the best thing I could of done.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

"It's been a full year since the big google meltdown."

Actually, it's been 22 months since the "big" one.

Unlike NY Falcon, I did sustain negative impact, as almost everybody else did, but I think I really needed the boot in the @ss at the time. It forced me to start implementing other promotional methods that I would otherwise have just kept "thinking about doing" instead of actually "doing".

Not a good year for me. But, due to the vagaries of fate I am still here and still doing business. I am changing my whole approach for next year.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Not a good year for me either. When I started many years ago I decided not to do things that looked like w*rk. I learned webmerge because that was fun. I took most of a year off because of carpal tunnel problems. I'm not learning any more programming skills because I don't wanna.

Fortunately AM is only one of several income streams, so I'm not forced to continue. I keep working at it when I get inspired, though.

And in 2 years I'll be eligible for Social Security. I never expected it to still be available, but I guess it will.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I was hit really hard last year as well, but thankfully recovered after about 3 months. I spent a lot of time building fresh content and new thoughts. It was an eye opener and forced me to work harder. I am glad to say that the work has paid off - my income has doubled from what it was before the big hit.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Cool
    I think the googlegods may smile on us again, some day. I watch how about a dozen sites are listed vs. indexed in google's database and how that data changes from week to week.

I can sometimes see a pattern that looks like different indexes are popped into and out of what they use to show results.

Looks to me like they've settled on or will soon settle on an index that makes sense to them and after that I expect them to add crawl data that will return some of us (hopefully, all of us) to positions near or above where we were during the re-shuffling.

. . . or maybe not.

Google appears like it is still trying to figure out how to remove me completley from its index.

I've pretty much have tried everything and nothing seems to be cost effective in terms of driving profitable traffic to my site.

What really kills me is that Google continues to give me a good page rank and then burries my site.

At least MSN likes me.

better off. Had to work over time.

I was hit hard. But have spent the past year building sites with 100% original content, plus affiliate links. About 20 pages of heavy content to each page with affiliate links. Most of these sites are still in the "sandbox" so it's too early to tell if this strategy will work.

I miss a lot of the people who uses to post and were so passionate (particularly the Poons).

Jazz Times

It's been a slow year here as well, but I'm experiencing a very nice recovery and hope to see it continue into 2006. I've done substantial work to add value to my services and believe I'm finally starting to offer something that people can really find useful. I got more done in 2005 than I could have ever imagined. I hope 2006 is just as productive as I'm full of ideas and can't wait to implement them.

Google hit one site pretty hard this time last year and it really hasn't recovered. That's fine since that particular site isn't my most interesting or useful site. My others have become my focus and they're all doing quite well. Not because of search engine traffic, but because of more useful features, better design, more information and just more practicality for the user.

I'm really excited for the months to come and am much happier not relying on free Google traffic. I purchase traffic and earn substantial returns while gaining return visitors in the process. This is a great position to be in.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yep, I remember the day well. One site hit very hard, and it still hasn't recovered completely.

I am seeing more traffic from Yahoo and MSN, which can't be a good thing for Google. I also get questions from people about "why can't I find you in Google? You have a page with exactly what I needed, yet I can't find it in Google."

My response to them? I tell them that's proof that Google really isn't doing such a great job at indexing the Internet. Not good for Google, especially when searches in Yahoo and MSN have that page listed at #1 for its search terms.

It's #54 in Google...

Andy

Hit hard, recovered, then hit hard again.

I still believe it was a strategy to push us affiliates to Adwords and PPC. Just more money in the coffers. And they have some really deep coffers.

I'm planning a redesign to recover my free Google traffic after the first of the year. And if I don't get it, I have a great plan to create more traffic via offline methods. When they get all of those new requests for the site, they'll have to revise their thinking.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Well I 5hitcanned everything just before then and started again from scratch. Been at it for about 8 months again now and Im back up to 25ish K a month. I used to domainate Google back in the day. In a big way. At times taking almost the whole top 20 of the terms I targeted. Now Dear Google used real live people to patrol their results. They check the whois. Multiple sites in the same ip sequence. Common nameservers.....You have to be keen to take them on, but really their results are no better than anyone elses and they actually are missing out on a great deal by doing things the way they do.

In all, I have decided to simply ignore Google and it seems to work just fine.

Then again always remember you have to roll with the punches and make whatever adjustments to your business model that is needed to fit the times. Whatever works this month may not mean a great deal next month. If it was all about some simple stable concept, all any of us would have to do is learn what that is and we would always have it made. Yet, you can't do that with something that is always in flux.

PPC will always be more predictable (for the most part), but it just lacks the excitement factor...and if you get bent and stuffed, feeling rather burnt.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    Well I 5hitcanned everything just before then and started again from scratch. Been at it for about 8 months again now and Im back up to 25ish K a month. I used to domainate Google back in the day. In a big way. At times taking almost the whole top 20 of the terms I targeted. Now Dear Google used real live people to patrol their results. They check the whois. Multiple sites in the same ip sequence. Common nameservers.....You have to be keen to take them on, but really their results are no better than anyone elses and they actually are missing out on a great deal by doing things the way they do.

In all, I have decided to simply ignore Google and it seems to work just fine.

Then again always remember you have to roll with the punches and make whatever adjustments to your business model that is needed to fit the times. Whatever works this month may not mean a great deal next month. If it was all about some simple stable concept, all any of us would have to do is learn what that is and we would always have it made. Yet, you can't do that with something that is always in flux.

PPC will always be more predictable (for the most part), but it just lacks the excitement factor...and if you get bent and stuffed, feeling rather burnt.
    Curious... what do you define as a professional affiliate SERP spammer?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    THAT WAS A GOOD QUESTION, mike

Anyone who posts more than 1 resource on any given topic on the internet is a spammer. Anyone with more than 1 website is a spammer. Anyone who does not post more than 1 resource on their given topics is a loser....don't take that literally please.

If everyone did PPC no one would be be able to.

For how many years has the system been this way? You can sugarcoat SEO in some fantasy land, but no matter how you dice it...it's the same. ...Purposeful. I hide nothing and don't see anything I do as being unethical. We all have access to the same information and have the same goals being $.

You can do your best to be aware of what is possible, or others will as they do anyway....

and at the end of the day you achieve results because you actually worked harder on the goal then likely anyone else in the world who got there through a flawless process from A to Z. All the people under you did the same except not as much....and sadly most are a bunch of whiners.

I do my best to get to the top as much as I can, but I don't force nothing down any search engine. Control on that is out of my hands. In fact I don't even submit anything to any search engine. They voluntarily accept them and over a period of time they like them more. If an engine does not put my purposeful actions in their engine, I could care less and continue and will use another means to generate traffic without violating anyone's terms of service.

I make no excuses for inaction, and don't use just 1 business tactic.

and if you break down the words of what you want to be defined I would admit being an example of all of those except one, but then again it can be argued that anyone with more than 1 site is a spammer. Then I guess I am.

I'am totally lost all google traffic ... still not recovered, now free traffic just from yahoo and msn.I hope they dont hate affiliate sites ... now i try different method for google traffic --> Blogging

Strangely my Google traffic this month has started to increase noticeably on a particular site that rarely gains new Google traffic. This site wasn't affected on the Dec 15th meltdown nor has it really been affected by any changes in the past few years. I'm happy to see this upturn and hope it spreads to my other sites.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Naughty or Nice SEO?
    Search Engine Marketing
    BY P.J. Fusco | December 21, 2005

"The chasm between sites that are naughty and nice, as far as search engines are concerned, is growing. Some companies' goods and services are naturally worthy of top search listings. Other companies will earn a lump of coal in their proverbial stockings when it comes to search engine referrals this holiday season.

http://www.clickz.com/experts/search...le.php/3571986

Company B loathes the fact its rivals' Web sites that offer similar goods and services have better search positioning than its own sites. The company borrows other people's content. In so doing, it confuses search engine algorithms into believing its sites are relevant for highly competitive, profitable keywords and keyword phrases.

To obtain top search positioning, the company builds Web sites that show search bots something different from what visitors see. The company stuffs, stacks, and hides keywords and links in alternative tags, hidden fields, and layers of code. Search referral traffic spikes, then quickly diminishes.

The company produces page after page of duplicate content and mirrors its Web sites across a series of domain names. All the company's sites were once quickly crawled. But they failed to change over time, so search bots return less frequently. To fix the problem, the company swaps other peoples content for its own. Search referral traffic spikes again, then slows to a trickle.

The company decides to use the old sites to redirect unsuspecting visitors through hundreds of doorway page to a series of similar sites. In a short time, a large influx of links point to some of the sites to keep them in top positions. But a back-link pattern begins to emerge, connecting the sites to link farms, guest books, and ad-scraping blogs. Once again, search engine traffic begins to erode.

The price the company pays to maintain its top positioning increases over time because it must keep building new sites to engender short-term bursts in search-referred traffic. Yet as long as search referred traffic keeps coming, the company continues to profit.

Dumb Bots, Smart Strategies

Both the naughty and nice companies in this story attain top search engine positioning because search bots aren't particularly sophisticated. But because search engines continue to refine their algorithms to index more relevant results, only one company will maintain its top search engine positioning in a cost-effective manner over an extended period......"

SEO is not an excuse to abuse merchants and shoppers by setting up cookie setting revolving doors based upon deception and justified by money. The poorman's BHO tricks hurt us legit on-page physical click affiliates as much as the real BHO's shoving an Ad enema tube up shoppers butts making their eyeballs blink "incentives". Every one of my ecommerce enabled clients showed increased Google traffic in 2005. All showed 2005 Christmas sales and conversions at an all time level. I just documented for them their SE positions on their top 5 buying keywords in all major SE's. Every one of those had top positions on the first page SERP results in all SE's.

They spend less on SEM/PPCSE and SEO then any merchant at ABW, because they refuse to have their natural SERPs and conversion ratios hijacked by un ethical affiliate practices. Each one shows year after profitable growth and would love to expand their reach, as long as it doesn't come in the form of a courtesy "reach around". Currently they all pay me to find legit traffic sources,and pay slotting fees or seasonal Ad placements to fuel their gowth. I'm sure there are thousands out there just like them not wanting to waste time trying to figure out if affiliates wear a White -Black or Grey hat.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast