Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Collections Etc. is Outta Here
    Got an email today entitled

URGENT!!!! Collections Etc. is closing its doors!
    She goes on to say that as of January 7th, they'll no longer be a merchant affiliated with the Linkshare network, and that all images, links, etc. will have to be removed from pages by the 7th.

According to the message title, it looks like they'll cease to exist as an online store, but the rest of the message just indicates that the affiliate program will be shutting down, with no indication whether anything at all is planned in future - like signing on someplace else, if the site will be staying up.

ABW Ambassador
    They're going to CJ.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The way the industry is heading they'll be hard pressed to get any prime page exposure. Writing pre-sell, for a dime a dozen collectables merchant, isn't worth the corruptive competitive landscape. Go right on in with higher end collectables picking out what they're searching for.... Give them natural SERPs and ask for a raise.
    Last edited by ecomcity; December 16th, 2005 at 10:39 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    They have some collectibles stuff but more of a giftware merchant with stuff under 15 bucks. Convert pretty good.

ABW Ambassador
    They're going to CJ.
    Thanks!

The way the industry is heading they'll be hard pressed to get any prime page exposure.
    They get prime exposure from me.

Writing pre-sell for a dime a dozen collectables merchant
    It really isn't collectibles, it's more like chachkas. Mike, you have to know how to sell them, who to sell them to, which items, and how to pre-sell to your target market.

I have absolutely no problem sending thousands of targeted clicks to folks like Collections ETC or GenericGifts. None of my shoppers buy the trinket giftware stuff for some reason. They know up front what to expect (PSCs) before they click through. Hard to show 1 sale per 1200 clicks for this dime a dozen giftware group.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Depending on the time of year, their conversion rates are off the charts and even though the stuff is cheap, avg order sizes can be north of $100. I bet that site mints money.

ABW Ambassador
    I have absolutely no problem sending thousands of targeted clicks to folks like Collections ETC or GenericGifts. None of my shoppers buy the trinket giftware stuff for some reason. They know up front what to expect (PSCs) before they click through. Hard to show 1 sale per 1200 clicks for this dime a dozen giftware group
    First off, Collections Etc. and GenericGifts are not a group - they're totally different sites with different presentation, types, variety & quantities of goods being offered. Lumping them together as a "group" is incorrect.

Secondly, are you saying that just because there is a PSC display, that is what constitutes reaching targeted shoppers? What does having a PSC have to do with targeting niche shoppers or pre-selling to a target audience? Maybe your definitions of targeting and pre-selling are different from that of other people.

Third and most important in this case, are you saying that you've been sending thousands of clicks to Collections Etc. and only had 1 out of 1200 of those clicks converting?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see any CollectionsEtc. links up on his site, I think he's talking about Generic Gifts, i remember past threads about him having problems with them. Mike can verify.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see any CollectionsEtc. links up on his site, I think he's talking about Generic Gifts, i remember past threads about him having problems with them. Mike can verify.
    Here's one thread where the guy from Generic Gifts is talking at length about targeting

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...02222#poststop

I still say the two sites can't be compared, since they're different in scope and presentation, but the precepts behind targeting, CTR and conversion rates are valid, afaik.

ABW Ambassador
    This is a collectibles merchant

http://www.funtocollect.com/

This is NOT a collectibles merchant

http://www.collectionsetc.com/

Aside from that, "collectibles" is not targeted and does not send targeted visitors. Neither is "gifts" targeted, and does not send targeted shoppers. Those do NOT send targeted traffic - they send people who are browsing, with little chance of conversion.

Hard to show 1 sale per 1200 clicks for this dime a dozen giftware group.
    Mike, that is, purely and simply, because you are sending them people who are just browsing around, you're not sending targeted traffic to them.

Sure you get "savvy shoppers" - but savvy shoppers do a lot of browsing around, then when they decide on their specifics, they do search engine queries for the specific items they're looking for and they buy.

The degree of targeting of traffic sent to merchants is often directly proportional to the targeting of the inbound traffic to the pages the merchant's links are on. Proper targeting is part of properly pre-selling, and then, where on the merchant's site the targeted visitors are sent helps to cinch the deal.
    Last edited by webworker; December 17th, 2005 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    First off, Collections Etc. and GenericGifts are not a group - they're totally different sites with different presentation, types, variety & quantities of goods being offered. Lumping them together as a "group" is incorrect.

Secondly, are you saying that just because there is a PSC display, that is what constitutes reaching targeted shoppers? What does having a PSC have to do with targeting niche shoppers or pre-selling to a target audience? Maybe your definitions of targeting and pre-selling are different from that of other people.

Third and most important in this case, are you saying that you've been sending thousands of clicks to Collections Etc. and only had 1 out of 1200 of those clicks converting?
    Damn friggin correct and both suppliers buy, or drop ship, from the same group of Gift Mart suppliers selling commodity giftware. I didn't say I sent thousands of clicks to Collections ETC 15.00 closeout giftware items. Their AM's came here like the GG gal to hawk and smooze recruits with false conversion promises. They take NO RESPONSIBILITY to close sales and should pay 5 cents per click bonus to any legit affiliate using their PSC's I'll say truthfully for 6 years I've tried sending targeted visitors to these general giftware merchants, including 3300 clicks to Generic Gifts without ever averaging better then 1 sale per 1200 clicks for any of these giftware catalogers.

GG stats ... Total clicks: 3352
    Total sub-clicks: 0
    Total sales: 2
    Total sub-sales: 0
    Current sold: $0.00
    Current sub-sold: $0.00
    Total sold: $182.70
    Total sub-sold: $0.00
    Current sales: $0.00
    Current sub-sales: $0.00
    Total sales: $19.99
    Total sub-sales: $0.00
    Unpaid commissions: $19.99

These giftware merchants have thousands of affiliates doing the same thing, with the same results, while padding their pockets and paying out less then a penny a click. I did the GG and the Collections ETC 2 step for a while and just forgot they even existed when I looked at their conversion ratios. As far as I'm concerned let them tap into the sleazy affiliate pool who can play them like a fiddle. Any ABWers could add a shopping cart to their site and push the exact same stuff at a 1/60 conversion ratio on a 40-50% markup.

Every one of those giftware clicks went to specific landing pages represented by my creatives. Till they're willing to pay 5 cents a click bonus (less then their PPCSE costs) they are manipulators catering to the point of sale attack dogs whining about ROI on cashing in coupons, daily deals, and PPCSE arbitridge players. Don't believe me then look at their pathetic ABW forums for post count as they count up the profits.

ABW Ambassador
    4 people have posted in this thread and 3 are having great conversions. 1 isn't.

Mike you posted your Generic Gifts stats, what are your Collections Etc. stats only.

Just ran mine for the year and converting at 12.8%.

ABW Ambassador
    Every one of those giftware clicks went to specific landing pages represented by my creatives
    But were those clicks by TARGETED visitors looking for specific products? YOUR traffic has to be targeted in order to convert.

Shopping is not targeted.
    Collectibles is not targeted.
    Gifts is not targeted.

Apparently that concept just isn't getting through somehow.

4 people have posted in this thread and 3 are having great conversions. 1 isn't.

Mike you posted your Generic Gifts stats, what are your Collections Etc. stats only.
    Ditto - tell us.

But were those clicks by TARGETED visitors looking for specific products? YOUR traffic has to be targeted in order to convert.

Shopping is not targeted.
    Collectibles is not targeted.
    Gifts is not targeted.

Apparently that concept just isn't getting through somehow.

Ditto - tell us.
    Collections ETC. 416 clicks 1 sale. That one sale recorded within first 20 clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Just ran mine for the year and converting at 12.8%.
    Trust, I notice you actually contribute VERY LITTLE except your attacks on people who do. Everywhere I go I see you climbing all over people and little else. You come to the table liike a braggart with no proof, just statements which says nothing . . . no wonder Mike has been pointing at you . . . you always seem to be siding against everyone else . . .

I stated this because it's all I have seen YOU do is follow Mike around. At least when we ***** we try to offer up our reasoning, or what we think might be happening . . . WTF DO YOU DO ???

ABW Ambassador
    30 days LS stats for about 6-7 hand-rolled pages on my "testbed banner farm," above the fold underneath the adsense

Collections, Etc.

728 clicks
    28 sales
    152 items sold
    $1,771.97 sales sent to merchant
    commish: not enough

That's tightly targeted inbound traffic from organic search, not even top 10 except on a few phrases. It's ALL about targeting and conversion; conversion is EVERYTHING.

30 days LS stats for about 6-7 pages on my "testbed banner farm," above the fold underneath the adsense

Collections, Etc.

728 clicks
    28 sales
    152 items sold
    $1,771.97 sales sent to merchant
    commish: not enough

That's targeted inbound traffic from organic search, not even top 10. It's ALL about targeting and conversion; conversion is EVERYTHING.
    That looks a little out of wack there buddy. Clicks: 728 and then two statements totally 180 sales. I'm confused. Does the 28 actually mean 28 items waiting to be shipped and are not yet tallied?

Also, are you blaming yourself for lack of conversions??? I see it as the merchants ultimate responsibility to not drop the ball when we deliver a customer to their door.

ABW Ambassador
    Not out of whack at all, bwc. There were 28 sales made over the period of a month, for a total of 152 items ordered and shipped in those 28 sales. One order alone was for 56 items.

Conversion of 28 sales for 728 clicks suits me just fine; I did my part and they did their part.

I see it as the merchants ultimate responsibility to not drop the ball when we deliver a customer to their door.
    I don't agree. Sure, they have to do their part; but if we send them crap lookie-loo type clicks instead of potential customers they're not likely to convert. The more closely targeted the traffic is that we send them, the easier it is for the sale to convert.

IMHO that's part of what makes a working partnership between affiliates and merchants.

Oh, I get ya now . . . that's actually pretty good then. I'm going to guess then that you made about $68.00 commission right???? I agree. It's never enough.

ABW Ambassador
    "WTF DO YOU DO ???"

And you do what? Follow Mike around and jump on the whining bandwagon, trying to pass off your losing attitudes? Like in the other thread, new person just got some sales and you and Mike jump in with your conspiracy nonsense. Fact is people are having success with this merchant. Did you miss those posts?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "WTF DO YOU DO ???"

And you do what? Follow Mike around and jump on the whining bandwagon, trying to pass off your losing attitudes? Like in the other thread, new person just got some sales and you and Mike jump in with your conspiracy nonsense. Fact is people are having success with this merchant. Did you miss those posts?
    F'off . . . there was NO conspiracy talk at all. That's YOUR impression. I have fact to back my statements. All I mentioned to you was what you do around here. That is it dude. Nothing from you in freakin YEARS~!

ABW Ambassador
    Hey, before the p!ssing contest goes any further, maybe it would be a good idea to scroll up and see what the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD is and see who contributed what in the way of discussing the TOPIC POSTED ABOUT which is Collections, Etc.

BACK ON TOPIC, in spite of nay-saying, crepe-hanging prophets of ultimate affiliate doom, the commission was $88.40 which isn't enough, but it's a whole lot better than the commish from the other merchants on those same pages, which was $0.0 - except for Adsense, which is CPC and a nifty insurance policy toward receiving monthly checks.

Sorry 'bout the heat WW . . .

I was hoping to turn the thread to a guessing contest . . . but I wasn't too far off.
    I get a lot of the same traffic. It's weird too . . . some traffic I would assume would go to my "main" merchant for a few pages yet the smallest guy there makes me the most consistent cash flow. You'd crap if you knew the niche and how many hundreds of sales I get from this little guy. But the commish is so low it doesn't add up to a boatload, but it does make a nice consistent bucketload every month.

ABW Ambassador
    With Collections Etc. for the year, i have a $33 EPC and people are buying 7 items on average so they do good for me. I don't consider them a Collectibles merchant, that is one category that I don't do well with, would do better on a collectibles site and not a general shopping site like i have. So when they show up on CJ, I'll be switching the links on over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast