ABW Ambassador
    Found a merchant that converts !
    I have got a couple of sales from a merchant whom I started promoting only a few days ago. Will it be a good idea to focus exclusively on this merchant from now on and try to get more visitors to this merchant's site or I should look for more merchants in the same industry and start promoting them too ?

What has been the experience of the experienced members here ? Which approach would be best in this case ?

Thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    Keep working that merchant and find other merchants that convert for you. Never just rely on 1 merchant for your income.

Trust, "Trust" . He's right. Just because they are working for you today doesn't mean that the bottom won't fall out tomorrow. The more good converation merchants you can find, the better!!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks TrustNo1 for your answer. I was thinking of devoting 100% of my promotional efforts towards promoting this merchant for the next 2 months at least but as you have said that one should not rely on a single merchant.

So, will it be a good idea to devote say, about 75% of my time to promote this merchant and 25% for finding new merchants?

Or may be I can signup for about 5-10 more similar merchants and devote 50% of my efforts towards this merchant and 50% towards the rest unless I find another good one?

Actually, I have started focussing on the aff business only recently and I have done a lot of reading but I am confused now and not sure which approach would benefit me in the long term.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, "Trust" . He's right. Just because they are working for you today doesn't mean that the bottom won't fall out tomorrow. The more good converation merchants you can find, the better!!
    Thanks mhutch for your advice. Will be on the lookout for more such merchants now

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The oldest trick in the AM book is to force a few sales on a new affiliate who looks promising. I fell for this exposure trick many a time and got a few sales within 50 clicks ... then zip for the next 1000.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"I fell for this exposure trick many a time and got a few sales within 50 clicks ... then zip for the next 1000."

That's what happens when you let your pages stagnate for 4 years. If the items you put up in 2001 aren't out of stock by now, chances are the URL's have changed at some point during a merchant site update.

Also bear in mind that the likelyhood of a merchant to be showing sales so soon is an indication that they might be "priming your pump" . . . which means they may have made a transaction or two through your account to get you excited enough to where you are right now. It may not be any indication at all other than something that a merchant does to get you to start advertising for them. At least watch the traffic and conversions for a week or so. If it's steady, it's a good sign it's not the merchant, bit . . . if not . . . guess what???? They just may be trying to dupe you . . .

I'm quite the conspiracy theorist myself but my tin hat isn't shiny enough to buy into that one.

It's not a conspiracy theory, or even a thought of one. It's a fact.

ABW Ambassador
    Some more advice. Mike is very well intentioned, hates parasites, that's good, hearts in the right place. Also the worst converting affiliate i've ever seen. Don't take the jaded attitude, negative type thinking, it can do you in.

What he probably has done is right in the title of this thread. It'll take some time before you know how good a merchant it is for you. I've found some when I started that are still working great for me, month in and month out. Those merchants get a little extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I've found some when I started that are still working great for me, month in and month out. Those merchants get a little extra effort.
    Exactly

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up
    Thanks everyone for your replies. This affiliate newbie really appreciates your help :-)

ecomcity and bwc, thanks for sharing this exposure thing.

I didn't know that merchants could do such thing but it's good to know this now when one is starting out so that I can get less excited and take things in the right perspective and avoid any future disappointments.

Thanks guys

ABW Ambassador
    >> It'll take some time before you know how good a merchant it is for you.

Thanks. Actually, I got a couple of sales and honestly speaking, I hadn't put much efforts in it . So, I got excited when I did some calculations for my potential earnings
    but yes, you guys are right, I would only earn more if it stays good for a longer period of time :-)

Just what everyone else have said... diversify. Good that you made a few sales but that might be just because of the holiday season. To guage your success with a merchant, you should see how your commissions are over a period of several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    "I fell for this exposure trick many a time and got a few sales within 50 clicks ... then zip for the next 1000."

That's what happens when you let your pages stagnate for 4 years. If the items you put up in 2001 aren't out of stock by now, chances are the URL's have changed at some point during a merchant site update.
    All I can say is find those so called 2001 OOS product links in the 483 pages. Go ahead and waste time finding what isn't even clicked upon. My newest creatives get the majority of clicks. How else could it be the only test bed site to ever post it's conversion states to the ABWers. Any site volunteers for 2006? The commission tide is rising and the traffic hijackers and spammy monopoly boats are rising, while the rest break in two. Wasn't it Kennedy who said "the rising tide floats all ships"? Seems the affiliate industry isn't willing to rise all ships by sharing the wealth on a level playing field. Way too many greedy Adwhores with a noose hold on this industry. All affiliate legitimacy is gone when ther marketing promotions can't be ignored by the surfing public. Instead it instills ire and blacklash. They don't care if I make or don't make a cut on referral sales from EcomCity. They click and never complain they don't get what they ordered.

Somehow it keeps getting 1100+ unique visitors per day even if that's down from older levels. Three years of showing ABW the top 2 merchants were Overstock and TigerDirect, converting steadily that traffic. That is no longer the case as no real competitors appeared or more choices in merchants even approached the sales.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "How else could it be the only test bed site to ever post it's conversion states to the ABWers."

I think that lesson has already been learned. If you make a site like that, you won't convert. I learned that my first time here after you posted sending 3500 clicks to 1800Flowers and getting 0 sales. I was a rookie, only sent them 50 clicks and had 3 sales. Then I took a look at your "test bed" site and it all became clear.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "How else could it be the only test bed site to ever post it's conversion states to the ABWers."

I think that lesson has already been learned. If you make a site like that, you won't convert. I learned that my first time here after you posted sending 3500 clicks to 1800Flowers and getting 0 sales. I was a rookie, only sent them 50 clicks and had 3 sales. Then I took a look at your "test bed" site and it all became clear.
    Yep you learned quick. Don't believe a word of the crap the networks/merchants tell ya and waste time hand building pages. Exploit and automate the simple spam techiques while pushing coupons as a point of sale attack dog. Another coupon template site with a revolving cookie setting front door. My site represents the domain bound affiliate promise. Your sites reflect the shortcut to riches route justifying anything along the way as long as you don't have to learn about shoppers or product details.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually all my pages are hand built, that's because i'm tech challenged.

"Your sites reflect the shortcut to riches route justifying anything along the way as long as you don't have to learn about shoppers or product details."

Mike, explain to me why your savvy shoppers never buy anything? Explain your sig to me. What value do shoppers get going to your site? It's just product links and merchant copy and paste spin like most affiliates have except you don't convert. Conversions are a clue they're getting some sort of value. And yes I did learn quick. I paid attention to those who made a lot more money than me and not those who constantly complain and blame and never take responsibility.

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bwc
    Also bear in mind that the likelyhood of a merchant to be showing sales so soon is an indication that they might be "priming your pump" . . . which means they may have made a transaction or two through your account to get you excited enough to where you are right now. It may not be any indication at all other than something that a merchant does to get you to start advertising for them. They just may be trying to dupe you . . .
    Wow. I've never, ever heard of this before. Does this actually happen?

Guess you learn something new every day...
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_ShareResults
    Wow. I've never, ever heard of this before. Does this actually happen?
    Not too often but I've had two merchants in the last 6 months that did exactly that. I mean, within ten minutes of my adding basic homepage links to their sites, they'd send an email all excited for me that I made a sale so fast. It just cannot happen that fast unless it's a fluke. A customer would of had to be standing at my door like a Walmart customer waiting on a shoe sale outside their door.

I've got like 28 bucks from one merchant and 12 from another.
    My site has never been that hot to have made something happen so fast.

I was just trying to calm the above over-excited situation with a little in-site-ful information.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread