ABW Ambassador
    Angry eBay PowerSeller Team >>> SPAM
    eBay sent this communication to you because of your outstanding feedback, high sales, and compliance with eBay marketplace policies. If you would not like to be invited to join the PowerSeller program, follow the directions above, click "Member Sign In", and then click "Decline" at the bottom of the page. Please note that it may take up to 10 days to process your request.

Copyright 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I never gave feedback.

Never made a sale.

I would never comply with eBay marketplace policies.

"Member Sign In" - I'm NOT an eBay member

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I get many phish emails with that basic premise.

It looks like the spam's coming from eBay, until they get to the part where I should click some link and "confirm" my personal information... The "some link" never really goes to the real eBay, although some of the phishers are really clever at disguising it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep phishing email to get your account info and not coming from ebay.

I get a few lately with a message about an auction. Usually a 70-year-old woman asking if I was the one offering a wheelchair. The most recent one *****ing me out for not following through on a sale. I've never made a bid there in my life.

if you look at the underlying code, the graphics are being pulled from .com, .uk, and one or two others.

the link to click on to respond, however, is at .th .

eBay confirms they are all phony.

I was selling high dollar items on ebay for years and was getting targetted by about 200 different phish heads a week. The thing that always pissed me off is that ebay is actually a useless group of do-nothings. How many of you have wasted your time by reporting the bogus emails to spoofs at feebay, but nothing ever got done but their canned responses of having received your spoof alert? Same idiots at paypal too. We do their business for them and they do nothing in return.

I can imaging that someone at eBay is going nutz trying to clamp down on the bogus servers receiving this stuff from the unwary. Chances are a phisher is being born at a different server every few hours.

Some of the eBay phishing messages are very clever. I just remember that you NEVER reply to one of those messages, even if they look legitimate. Always sign in to your account by opening a new browser window, and going through the normal channels. There's almost always a reminder or notice posted once logged in, if it's legit.

I do turn those in to eBay when I have time, and they are usually quite prompt at dealing with the site listed in the message.

Andy

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread