Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Merry Christmas Flap
    Has anyone else been keeping up with these boycotts of Target and Wal-Mart over Christmas? Seems some far right religious groups are unhappy that some retailers are not saying Merry Christmas in their advertisements, so they are boycotting merchants that use a generic term like "Happy Holiday's". This seems silly to me and I don't think it has effected these merchants much because I drop by Target and Wal-Mart today and there was no place to park.

Anyone got any email complains from folks online because of aff. links to these sites? Just curious. Thanks.

Mark

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhutch
    Has anyone else been keeping up with these boycotts of Target and Wal-Mart over Christmas? Seems some far right religious groups are unhappy that some retailers are not saying Merry Christmas in their advertisements, so they are boycotting merchants that use a generic term like "Happy Holiday's". This seems silly to me and I don't think it has effected these merchants much because I drop by Target and Wal-Mart today and there was no place to park.

Anyone got any email complains from folks online because of aff. links to these sites? Just curious. Thanks.

Mark
    I haven't heard anyone complain. I really wish the religious groups would mind their own business and stop trying to control the world and force their idea of what's "appropriate" on everyone else. Grrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Yeah, it seems to be a big deal to some folks who should be doing better things with their time.
    http://www.dailypress.com/dp-39541cm...ostemailedlink
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Apparently some people quite seriously believe that the holiday season is the exclusive domain of Christianity. They don't seem to realize that Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia and who knows how many other religious holidays as well as non-religious holidays also come this time each year.

"Happy holidays" is a generic greeting which does a good job of not excluding anyone from the fun and festivities. I think the stores should be applauded for their sensitivity to the fact that their customers have varied beliefs.

"December are all belong to us!!! "
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

My SIL has urged me to boycott Target, because they won't let them "ring the bell" and collect donations out front anymore and because of the Happy Holidays thing...as well as she says they have plans to sell personal vibrators there and she doesn't like the idea.
    Too much silliness...I am a non-christian but I still celebrate the season and I see not how it can be offensive for a BUSINESS to err on the side of caution...
    My sister and I joke how they should have express lanes at Walmart for those NOT celebrating Christmas...as they suffer the most from all the shopping mania it seems.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Seems some far right religious groups are unhappy that some retailers are not saying Merry Christmas in their advertisements,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I haven't heard anyone complain. I really wish the religious groups would mind their own business and stop trying to control the world and force their idea of what's "appropriate" on everyone else. Grrrrrrrrr
    LOL

If it wasn't for left-wingers forcing *their* ideas on people, stores would have never quit saying "Merry Christmas" in the first place!

While I haven't gone and boycotted anyone for saying "happy holidays" despite its purile blandness (and I'm not surprised at the full parking lots)--what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and turnabout is fair play, etc. etc. etc.

As for the other holidays, unless their celebrants are including massive buying as part of their festivities, it's indeed Christmas that's making the retailers (or at least the owners of the retailers) so merry!
    I remember well, how Ssanf said that Yule celebrations only include token gifts like socks. And I've never heard anyone say their CCs were maxed after Kwanzaa either. Not going to bring joy to the retail machine, that.

Anyone got any email complains from folks online because of aff. links to these sites?
    No, but due to their lousy commissions, I don't have any links to the specific places you mentioned! But I have other merchants who are probably just the same when it comes to holidays, and nobody's ever emailed me about it.

The fact that on most of my sites, people at least have to know how to whois in order *to* email me, tends to cut out communication from those who would pop off a flame mail on a whim
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    as well as she says they have plans to sell personal vibrators there and she doesn't like the idea.
    Target? Selling those?!

Sounds like an urban legend...
    *Checks*
    YEP!

Snopes says, Yes the bell-ringers are banned
    NO, no vibrators.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/target.asp
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks for the link Leader...now I can pass it on to my SIL so she can stop spreading the gossip.
    (Made me no difference anyway...I shop as I please and just turn away from things I don't want to buy rather than trying to stop the sale of them.)

Considering that the big J wasn't even born in December, they're getting pretty uppity about a holiday they appropriated from somebody else in the first place. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

LOL!!! I spent more on"Christmas" this year than I have in YEARS. Mainly because PSanf married a girl from a Christian background (not a Christian) who has kids and expects it.

What's a mother-inlaw to do?

No one wants to be the Grinch who stole "Christmas". But, we never did anywhere near so much before.

Oh well, I don't mind giving children some toys and it isn't like he can't use a shirt or two.

Still........

Taking Christ out of Christmas would be like taking Veterans out of Veterans Day or Martin Luther King out of Martin Luther King Day.

Why do people insist on taking God out of everything? (No answer needed. That's a rhetorical question.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Taking Christ out of Christmas would be like taking Veterans out of Veterans Day or Martin Luther King out of Martin Luther King Day.
    Exactly!! I will certainly not push my beliefs on anyone but at the same time I will not deny Christ. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

No one wants to take Christ out of Christmas. The problem is that many people of many faiths celebrate at approximately the same time. We don't want Christ out of Christmas. We just don't want Christmas (and therefore Christ) shoved down our throats everywhere we turn when we are celebrating our own religious holidays at the same time.

Would you want to hear "We All Come from the Goddess" being played ad nauseam when you are in public places during the Christmas season? No? well how about if we follow that up with our tune "Ancient Mother" and then "Air I Am"? And, how about if you are told to have a happy Yule as you leave by the greeter?

If you wouldn't like that, then you DO understand the objection.

If you wouldn't mind, that is good of you. Let's change it, then, and do it the way I suggested above instead because we sure would like it better.

Ok, I am a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas, but I am not offended when someone tells me Happy Holidays. It seems to me that people just have the need to get their panties in a bunch about something all of the time.

Funny that they think that Wal-Mart and Target are undervaluing Christmas, and yet you can't walk into one of those stores, or any other for that matter, without being bombarded by Christmas stuff from October until January.

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and enjoy whatever holiday they want to celebrate. No one is ever going to be able to make everyone happy on this issue. No matter which side of this issue Wal-Mart or Target takes, someone will be complaining.

It seems to me that the general public took the Christ out of Christmas a long time ago. It's all about the toys, people getting trampled at the store at 6am on "black Friday", the higher commissions, who can buy the best gift, kids expecting the motherload of stuff every year.....

Sorry, now I'm just rambling.

I don't celebrate Kwanza or Saturnalia, but since I'm a Christian, and my sister-in-law and two beautiful nieces are Jewish, I'll just wish you all a
    Merry Christmas AND a Happy Hanukkah and leave it at that. If you don't celebrate either, just know that means that I am wishing you happiness on December 25th - January 2nd.

Sheri

Can't I be happy Dec 21st!! I feel so crushed!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    No one wants to take Christ out of Christmas. The problem is that many people of many faiths celebrate at approximately the same time. We don't want Christ out of Christmas. We just don't want Christmas (and therefore Christ) shoved down our throats everywhere we turn when we are celebrating our own religious holidays at the same time.
    Yeah, what she said! Well spoken...

Obviously Walmart, Target and others are not trying to abolish Christmas or the celebration thereof or they wouldn't have all the red/green trims, ornaments, trees, gifts, sales, etc...
    They just want to make a buck, or several million bucks while trying to remain PC.
    It is somewhat one-sided to simply address Christmas and totally ignore all the other celebrations that go on in our big melting pot.
    The issue I always hear is taking "in god we trust" off of money...We can hardly take away the fact that the country was founded on certain principles by certain religious peoples, but that in no way stops religious freedom for everyone else either.

Ben Stein gave a good editorial on the Sunday Morning show yesterday and summed up how I feel.

I have no problem saying Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah or Kwanza or anything else. I have no problem with the manger being displayed or the menorah or any other good celebratory symbol from any faith. Its a time to be happy that we are all from different faiths and backgrounds and are able to get along through tolerance and acceptance. That is one of the great things of this country-- its are diversity....Polly Anna I am. (my words not his--he was more eloquent(?) than me.)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Ssaf,

You can be happy any day that you want, and I can wish you happiness throughout the whole year. I was just saying that by saying Merry Christmas, I would be wishing you a Merry December 25th if it is a day that you don't consider a holiday. That's all.

I know that if I didn't celebrate Christmas, this season would be my least favorite of all. I get tired of it being shoved down my throat, and I'm a Christian, so I can't even imagine how others feel.

And, that is what "Happy Holidays" does. It recognizes the great diversity of people that we are and acknowledges that there is room for and acceptance for all.

"Happy Holidays" is an expression that you may find joy in this season no matter what faith you follow or even if you follow no faith at all but just have a holiday.

I cannot understand why anyone would have any objection to such well wishing at all.

I think the stores should be applauded for their sensitivity
    Rhea i think you are lovely girl....But

if other religons object, then bollocks to them.
    I dont get offended by other peoples special days.
    if they dont like christmas, just stay at home
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Well, we have to stay home! All the stores are closed. To me Christmas is just one really bad day of shopping!

It is all the pre-Christmas annoyance that we are objecting to.

And, it indeed is annoying. Not on the level of war or something like that but a burr under the saddle just the same.

You want non-Christians should stay home from Oct 31 to Dec 25, maybe? Bollocks on that idea!

Is this a Baptist recruitment idea?????? Who put you up to it!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Neil, I'm not a girl, I'm 51 years old.

No one has written anything about not liking Christmas. But hey, if that's how you want to spin it, then that's your deal.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Well, we have to stay home! All the stores are closed. To me Christmas is just one really bad day of shopping!

It is all the pre-Christmas annoyance that we are objecting to.

And, it indeed is annoying. Not on the level of war or something like that but a burr under the saddle just the same.

You want non-Christians should stay home from Oct 31 to Dec 25, maybe? Bollocks on that idea!

Is this a Baptist recruitment idea?????? Who put you up to it!
    hey, I've said "have a Cool Yule" for years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast