Maybe I am the only one who missed this news and/or maybe nobody cares. However, since I average 2 or 3 credit card offers in the mail every day, I thought this was great news. Notice of this new law is on all the offers I get all the time, but since I trash them without opening them I hadn't seen it until I opened one by mistake today.

The FTC put a new law into effect on Aug. 1, 2005 that allows you to prevent your credit information being given out by the big 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union) unless you initiate the transaction yourself. This will not stop you from receiving offers from companies that don't use your credit information, but it will stop all those prescreened offers from credit card and insurance companies.

All you have to do is call 1-888-567-8688 which is a number operated by the 3 credit companies combined and you can have your name emoved for 5 years. If you want to permanently be removed then they send you a form to complete and send back to them.

You can read about the law here: www.nelnet.net/media/newsletters/PreScreenOptOut.asp

Am I missing something here, or is this great news???