ABW Ambassador
    Which is the first incoming link you feed to GoogleBot ?
    When you launch a new site (a new domain), which is the most preferred way to introduce your site to Googlebot ?

Which of the following gives more benefits ?

- Press Release
    - Free General Directory
    - Free Themed Directory
    - Paid General Directory
    - Paid Themed Directory
    - An incoming link from an authority site with different theme as yours
    - An incoming link from an authority site with same theme as yours
    - A link from General blog
    - A link from Themed Blog
    - A link from a high PR site you own (with different theme)
    - A link from a low PR site you own (with same theme)

What has been your experience ?

I have been doing it by general directories but guess it doesn't give many benefits these days so I am looking for alternatives.

Any suggestions or pointers ?

Thanks
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

This might not be ther perfect answer you are looking for but it may help a little.

I recently launched a new site two weeks ago. (The registration on the domain name was done about two months ago but I did nothing with it.)

I got a link from a generally related site (I think the PR was 4 or 5). MSN did a deep scan the very next day! Google has been by a couple of times but only checking robots.txt.

I submitted the site to Yahoo's free directory and it was looked at within two days. Inktomi has been by twice and looks as if it's only checking robots.txt.

This past weekend I started submitting to directorys and have not seen any different activity from the robots.

WFIW, I recently read that if you can get a link from a PR6 site related to yours, Google will crawl your site within 24 hours.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I was going to say - "Any one it wants!" Instead I'll go with a modified version of Suzie's. I prefer to steer it towards pages that have lots of drill-down capability into the site.

Fred

Best results I've gained so far in '05, have been from a single, solitary IBL (related/non-related, doesn't matter) to domains with an on-theme 'coming soon' page while the site(s) in question get developed. By the time the sites launch (on average two months later), they've got reasonable PR with regular crawls and they hit the index reasonably fast and high.

Opposite side to that coin, I accidentally gave a ROS link (unrelated themes, different language even) to a new site, and six months later not one page is indexed in Google, despite regular crawls and also submitting a Sitemap. Go figure.

Vege...

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks suzie, buy_online and Vegemite for your answers

Actually, I should have been more clear with my question. The reason I was asking the question is not because of getting the site indexed by Googlebot but I recently read somewhere that Google "themes" your website according to the first few link sources it learns about your site. and later from the other links it picks up.

Getting the site indexed is easy but if your site gets themed to a non-related site (like maybe, a different country, a different category) then it wouldn't be easy to get out of that "theme" soon.

What I have been doing is feeding the first few links from general directories but it seems that googlebot doesn't theme the site properly this way.

Is it true from your expereinces too ?
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    Best results I've gained so far in '05, have been from a single, solitary IBL (related/non-related, doesn't matter) to domains with an on-theme 'coming soon' page while the site(s) in question get developed. By the time the sites launch (on average two months later), they've got reasonable PR with regular crawls and they hit the index reasonably fast and high.
    I think the key here is theme, right ? So your on-theme link feeding does help to hit high on the ranks.

Opposite side to that coin, I accidentally gave a ROS link (unrelated themes, different language even) to a new site, and six months later not one page is indexed in Google, despite regular crawls and also submitting a Sitemap. Go figure.
    Would you think it was because of the reason that the link was a different language link, unrelated theme or becuase of it being a ROS link ?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    Would you think it was because of the reason that the link was a different language link, unrelated theme or becuase of it being a ROS link ?
    Newaff, I'd love to know the answer to this one, as I launched two sites at the same time, both using the same template (I got lazy), but completely different niches. One flew, the other tanked. The one that tanked had the ROS incoming link for a while, but it being given the cold shoulder could well be a mixture of all the factors combined (different language, different topic etc.). At first I was just thinking it was the ROS link that did it but I now have my doubts that that was solely to blame. I've never had a site do as badly as this one, so needless to say I won't be doing it that way again.

Vege...

ABW Ambassador
    Vege, even if the 2 sites were in different niches - if you can identify the differences between the two, you can come up with an answer I think.
    Since both used the same template, it would be easier to identify what got one site to tank and the other did fine.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

By different language do you mean php versus html?

I have a php site that everybody EXCEPT Google loves. Very frustrating.

ABW Ambassador
    By different language do you mean php versus html?
    lol, we were talking of languages like french and english - not languages as in programming languages

I have a php site that everybody EXCEPT Google loves. Very frustrating.
    I don't thing google has any problem with php sites. must be something else.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread