15 years and counting
    [order was entered on our end]
    Andy or Brian, do you mind to explain?
    I've several sales reversed for [order was entered on our end].
    Sounds like a pretty stupid reason.
    For sure, the order was not entered on my end.
    If the merchant doesn't want to pay an affiliate commission, why is he seeking traffic from affiliates?
    How can the sales be tracked by Shareasale and the merchant be claiming the sale is his?
    Sounds fishy.
    The merchant is cellarswineclub.com
    I've the following $17.97, $22.17, $35.94, and $8.99 commissions reversed the same day 12/01/2005

Affiliate Manager
    Alot of merchants will browse affiliates sites and click on their affiliate links... setting the cookies to their computer. Then they do test transactions. Sometimes they forget to clear thier cookies. It happens.

15 years and counting
    I had that reason given several times. Once, it was at LinkShare, for above $15.000,00 in commission. The merchant did'nt last too long. Crooks.
    I had the problem several times at CJ, and after calling the merchants several times, their AMs told me they were using my sites to do their testing. I'm still working with them.
    Never had that problem before at ShareASale.
    The least a merchant could do is to send an email to inform the affiliate of what he's doing. The sales were 20 days ago. NOT A WORD.
    IS HE TRYING TO BOOST UP his EPC? Waiting for the Christmas sales to offset the reversals. Or just trying to take advantage of his affiliates? Is he expecting me to spend my money on PPC after a few fake sales?
    I don't like it. I don't like the way it's reported.

This kind of thing sure doesn't build afflilate support, that's for sure.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Zeus,

This is our account and there is an explanation...

The merchant in question, even though they know about the cookie issue, it's not always on their mind. They visited your site on one of the first sales and forgot all about the cookie deal, needless to say it was live on their browser.

Read the history below:

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 4:43 PM
    To: andy@andyrodriguez.com; 'Orestes Vega'
    Subject: Cellars Wine Club

>>

These are not valid orders:>>

Tom went to his site and clicked on our link, it put the cookie on his box. Then when he was talking phone orders and >>

entering then on the site it was giving credit for the order. As you can see the transaction # M500 that is our beer site. >>

Can you please reverse these on Share A ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Salelace>.>>

> >

>>

>>

>>

Cheers,>>

Mark>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11564088 : >>
    > >

Affiliate ID: 634** - J***

Affiliates Main Website: >>

> >

The sale amount for this transaction: 89.85>>

Tracking Number for this transaction: M500692>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11557046 : >>

> >

Affiliates Main Website:

>>

> >

The sale amount for this transaction: 359.4>>

Tracking Number for this transaction: M500669>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11556765 : >>

> >

Affiliate ID: 634** - J**

Affiliates Main Website:

>>

> >

Tracking Number for this transaction: M500668>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11556347 : >>

> >

> >

The sale amount for this transaction: 221.7>>

Tracking Number for this transaction: C301275>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11556220 : >>

> >

> >

The sale amount for this transaction: 179.7>>

Tracking Number for this transaction: M500662>>

The affiliate who referred this transaction number 11555625 : >>

> >

Affiliates Main Website:

>>

> >

Tracking Number for this transaction: M500656>>

> >

Mark Ihrig >>
    Zeus, needless to say they were very embarrased and have learned a valuable lesson. We trust Mark and Tom 150% and they would never do anything wrong or try to cheat the program in any way.... you have my word.

Having said that, it took you time to come here, look at your numbers and post this valuable lesson for all, merchant and affiliate alike....

I am depositing $100.00 in your SAS account today as a gift from ARC and CellarsWineClub.com

Chet was right on the money, this is a common merchant mistake...

Happy Holidays all,
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I must admit, I was feeling sad for Zeus (after all, it was NOT his fault that someone screwed up on the merchant's end!!) as I was reading Andy's post until I reached:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    I am depositing $100.00 in your SAS account today as a gift from ARC and CellarsWineClub.com
    NIIIIIIIIIICE..... Congratulations, Zeus!! : ...and BEAUTIFUL response to the situation, Andy!

Geno

No phone tracking for CWC?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    No phone tracking for CWC?
    maybe they have no beer site affiliates.

15 years and counting
    Thanks for your answer Andy. I appreciate what you're doing, but these $100.00 should not come from ARC. You know I'm not starving to death, anyway.
    I understand the importance of testing a program especially at the beginning, but I assume each new merchant have also an affiliate account and they should use their own affiliate site to test their links.
    Let me explain what did happen at LinkShare. It was 1 or 2 years ago. A new merchant, GreatArrivals, came and asked me to work with them. It was right on the theme of one of my sites. Unique products, great design, beautiful graphics. I tried them in replacemement of one of my merchants at CJ and Bingo, twice the conversion. First week, I made $1000 in commission just with a few products.
    I had to work with the merchant closely because the direct product links at LinkShare were not working right all the time. A lot of testing on both side. I switched more products from CJ to LinkShare and the first month my commission was around $6.000,00. Everybody knows we're never paid in 30 days with LinkShare. I replaced more links with this new merchant with an exceptionnal conversion. I was still talking quite often with him, so far so good. More than 2 months later, the merchant told me there was too many sales tagged with my ID and he was not making any sales of his own. 3 months later, the $15.000,00 dissapeared from my account and the merchant from LinkShare. Maybe the merchant had more problems with LS. I don't know it all. I've never been paid. The mistake was not mine.
    Each time the merchant was entering an order in his system it was with one of my cookies.
    I lost all the sales I could have booked at CJ with my former merchant and all the sales made with LinkShare. Even if all the sales were not mine, a big part were legitimate sales. I should have been paid by LinkShare.
    So, Merchants, if you're reading that, remember to clean your cookies after doing test purchases on affiliate sites.
    Last edited by Zeus; December 21st, 2005 at 03:52 AM.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread