Question Does Anyone Here....
    Know anything about train sets? My mom would like to give my Dad one for Christmas - She's trying to help find him a hobby because he drives her nuts being couped up inside all winter long and retired. Though personally I'd love if my dad was couped up inside my house all winter long - he'd be doing all those odd jobs that always need to be done inside a house without ever having to ask for it to be done! My Dad has always been like that - he doesn't know how to relax and has never been a hobbyist or sports enthusiast or anything. His life has always been his work and nothing more.

Ideally we would want one that is easily expandable in case he enjoys it, but not too expensive in case he doesn't get into it and one that doesn't have a ton of really little pieces would probably be beneficial as my dad has parkinsons and because of the shakes, he has lost the majority of his fine motor skills.

Thank You for any insight you may be able to provide.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    H,

They're EXPENSIVE! Last xmas, I spent about $2000 buying 3 sets and some accessories.

Just pick a guage (size), like HO gauge, and you can keep expanding

But it's sorta permanent - you'll need a basement or something to keep it intack

HobbytownUSA has lots of choices

If you're looking for something without a lot of small parts, O scale may be better than HO, but it does take up more space, and it's not as popular, so there isn't as wide a selection as for HO scale.

Thanks for the input, I will take a look around and see what I can find that isn't too expensive to start - my parents have a large enough house where they could set up a track and just leave it so that isn't an issue at this point.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

he doesn't know how to relax and has never been a hobbyist or sports enthusiast or anything. His life has always been his work and nothing more
    A lot of men won't change their ways just because they have retired. Around here many bought their first boat after retirement but then never used them. It sounds like he would be better of in a volunteer group like Habitat for Humanity.
    A lot of attics have been filled trying to start other peoples hobbies.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread