Would some have the time to explain to me how to utilize this advanced options. I just can't get it right.

I want to link to a specific page /product, the merchant offers advance options, so what do I do with that link in that box?

It doesn't go where I want it to.
    thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Once you put in the url you want to go to by pressing create code button it should work. The only times I have any problems is sometimes if you use a search feature on site to find a specific page the search result page's url may not work right. In that case I had to manually search for the proper page url then recreate the advanced code.

Go to the merchants site find the page or product you want, copy the url from the address bar. Now if the merchants site uses frames you won't be able to get the right address for the product or page you want.

"what do I do with that link in that box?"

Delete it.

Now in the empty space put in the address that you copied from the merchants site, click update html, and that should do it.

Tip - hit ( ctrl n ) on your keyboard and that will open a new window. Makes it easier to make links with a couple windows open.

Fantastic! thank you for explaining it in plain english. All these years, and I had no idea that was how to use it. So then that explains what etoys refers to as the encoder.

Now look at all those products I can link to and never did before.

I feel like such an idiot! LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
    Now if the merchants site uses frames you won't be able to get the right address for the product or page you want.

Tip: Right click in the area that you want the customer to land (ie: not in the framed area)and then click on Properties. The window will show the correct URL for the product or page you want. Just copy and paste into the Advanced Features and presto.

quote:
    Fantastic! thank you for explaining it in plain english. All these years, and I had no idea that was how to use it. So then that explains what etoys refers to as the encoder.

Now look at all those products I can link to and never did before.

For etoys and KBtoys you have to go about it in a differnet way. Here is the instructions they sent via CJ email:

Remember, you can create product specific links by following these steps:

1)Cut and paste the code from any eToys banner or text link into your HTML document.
    2)Go to eToys and choose the page you want your banner or link to point your customers to.
    3)Copy that URL into the Commission Junction Encoder http://tis.dyndns.org/tools/encoder.php3 to encode
    the URL.
    4)Insert the encoded URL into tag from your Commission Junction banner.
    5)Add ?SURL= before the encoded URL.

Major pain! Have emailed them several times about it and they just send me the above instructions. The links I created in this fashion have yet to convert, granted I have only created a few because of the trouble.

Tami

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Tami ]

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Tami ]

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Rewardme,
    Don't feel too bad. I just figured out how to do this myself last week.
    The joys of being a newbie. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

...But the encoder isn't working!
    I emailed KB asked why they don't allow product linking the "normal" way and got the same reply...
    So they're in the too hard basket!
    Hanging on for a toy merchants with some affiliate smarts!

Thanks workerbee, a great tip!

Tami, yeah etoys, at first, way back when, I never knew what that encoder was. No one to ask, and the response I got from cj at that time was too much effort, so I never worried about it.

But now thats changed, thanks to this forum, and everyone that helps each other.

I just hope one day I get educated enough to help another! ha! Im learning everyday with this forum.

Hey justdoit! LOL Ive been in this for a few years, working along side of another, they duped me. I got upset and threw it all away, started over in November last year. and trying to double time it!

mousejockey, yes its so hard to make sales with them too! I stick to amazon for my toys now.

Rewardme and all,

Have you noticed with Amazon product links, the big message at the top "New to Amazon.com? Welcome!" with a continue button? Also, I had to remove (way more than usual)a bunch of links I created because they were out of stock and had the "email me" box instead of the "Check Out" box. Check your links. I think Amazon is on a new campaighn to screw affiliates!

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tami:
    Rewardme and all,

Have you noticed with Amazon product links, the big message at the top "New to Amazon.com? Welcome!" with a continue button? Also, I had to remove (way more than usual)a bunch of links I created because they were out of stock and had the "email me" box instead of the "Check Out" box. Check your links. I think Amazon is on a new campaighn to screw affiliates!

Tami

Tami
    I have to agree with you here. A couple of months ago I was senging 40 unique visitors a day to specific toys I promote and was getting an average of 2.2 sales per day. Now, 2 months later and even after the incorporation of commissions on second hand stuff, those same links plus a few others are sending 90+ unique visitors a day and I am averaging 0.9 sales per day.

Hmmm. Amazon used to be so good, but maybe parasiteware is also to blame. As time goes by, more and more people are having this theaving programs installed on their computers.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread