Question Teach Merchants! Share Your BEST Christmas Shopping Experience!
    All of us are doing Christmas shopping (or, okay, call it is “holiday shopping”!) this year. Many of us do it online. Please share the best online shopping experience you’ve had this Christmas! What site’s navigation and customer-friendliness struck you the MOST? What do you wish the merchants you're promoting had (that others do)?

I’ll start. My wife and myself have been searching for various clothing for our baby princess (that has turned 2 just at the end November), and looked through many online stores. OshKosh closed their store – bad for them! Lost a lot of business this Christmas, I’m sure… But we’ve found a beautiful site of the Old Navy. Boy! What a great way to represent merchandise! I especially loved two features the: the “Quick Look” one (with the pop-up of bigger picture, color and sizing options, more detailed info on the product, etc) and the “outfit suggestions”… SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL! Enjoyed shopping with them tremendously, and shortlisted several things for us (RL) to learn from them in terms of how to sell stuff online…

So. What was your best online shopping experience this Christmas?!

Geno

Ewww you bought from old navy
    average item will last you 2 washes before you have to buy another.

I worked at an old navy when i was 16. The managers always told us the reason the prices are so cheap is because it won't last ya a week. And its true for the most part anyway.

But yeah All 3 of the Gap stores sites are great just don't buy from Old Navy. Gap and Banana are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Ewww you bought from old navy
    average item will last you 2 washes before you have to buy another.
    2 year olds grow so fast they don't need things to last more than 2 washes.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I did buy from them (among others), as we've had excellent experience with clothes from them before (washed a million of times)........ Yet, this thread is NOT about Old Navy or the quality of baby clothes and who to buy from (even tho' the advice is certainly greatly appreciated, Mike)... Let's get back on the topic.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Wasn't online, but I had a great shopping experience today at the Apple store. When I walked in I was crushed to see they had no iHomes on the shelf. But a store clerk asked me to wait a half hour while they brought out the newest shipment. I wandered into a gourmet shop and found chicory coffee from Cafe du Monde in N.O. When I wandered back to the Apple store the iHomes were on the shelf. And the crowd around the cash registers had mysteriously disappeared. Pretty neat!

There are some online stores which, if they're out of stock, will offer to send you an email when the product becomes available. The only bad part about that is that the affiliate cookie is probably useless by then.

I've thought I have seen it all. But this I was completely and utterly impressed. <-very rare for me. My wife and I was channel surfing (or fighting for remote dominance) when we stalled on the HSN (Home Shopping Network) channel. They were selling a computer with a software package that valued out to be more than my mortage payment. I thought this computer would be a nice gift for the wife and the some of the software would suit me just fine.

After we looked at each other (thinking the same thing) I decide to give up the remote control and call for some more information. So I called at 3pm pst, they answered 3 rings later. They answered all my questions 1st...3:03pm Ask if I was a memeber...(Nope I replied, told I never order anything on T.V. before) She signed me up got my info and the order was done...3:05pm. 5 minutes

I never made a big ticket item purchase in under an hour, but The call was so professional, precise, and complete I had nothing left to do but buy it.

I felt out of my element because how easy it was to order and how short the whole process took, I called back just to hear them repeat the Software bundle that was included..... Great experience... so good, that I took some scissors to my membership card I received in the mail and hide the remains from my wife. (don't want to be one of those people)

I don't know what part of this sales experience I favored over the other (maybe I was so amped up I sold myself) but I felt like having a cigerette after. --Eureka, that's it. I SOLD MYSELF, not to sound concided but no-one can push my hot button like I can. I'm the best salesman when it comes to me.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    The sites that impressed me the most this year with their customer service was a couple of small 'mom & pop' type places. One place carries supplies for making predator calls (which is my husbands hobby). The site isn't fancy by any means, but everything I needed was on one page, simple as could be. I ordered over $100 worth of items in under 5 minutes because stuff was so easy to find. The package shipped later the next day and arrived in my hands today. No fuss, no muss.

Only one big merchant order I placed has gone smoothly for me and that was with Walmart. Order placed and package received within 4 days.

My worst would be Bits & Pieces - was told one item was backordered, received the package and another also backordered. Problem was I needed the items for the next morning so I was sent scrambling around looking for a replacement locally, and we live in a nothing town so that was a disaster. And to top it all off I used this as a test order and the order did not track.

Right now Amazon has me nervous. We ordered everything we could not find around here for the kids (which is pretty much all of their gifts) over a week ago and it still has not shipped. I called yesterday and today and they keep reassuring me it will be on my door step Friday the 23rd. As of right now, it still has not shipped. ARGHHHHHHHH If that don't show up, I don't know what I will do. I am gonna have some disappointed kids for sure.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    ys.

Right now Amazon has me nervous. We ordered everything we could not find around here for the kids (which is pretty much all of their gifts) over a week ago and it still has not shipped. I called yesterday and today and they keep reassuring me it will be on my door step Friday the 23rd. As of right now, it still has not shipped. ARGHHHHHHHH If that don't show up, I don't know what I will do. I am gonna have some disappointed kids for sure.
    Your stuiff should arrive just fine, Michelle. I've never had a problem with Amazon shipments before CHristmas. They're pretty good about making sure stuff gets where it's supposed to be before Christmas.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I used Old Navy and Amazon last year and reused them this year because everything was exactly the way they said it was - item description, shipping details, delivery, etc. I have other merchants I use, but these two are perfect for the way our huge family functions right now.

I had the same thing with the Amazon Super Free delivery with everything ordered last week and promised for the 23rd. I was getting nervous too, but tracked it last night and they had just put it on the truck for delivery tomorrow. And the orders tracked as shipped this morning in my stats.

Went to Gap's site yesterday, and it looks like their online store is based on EXACTLY THE SAME engine as the Old Navy's one! Same cool things (like the "Quick Look", etc)... That's interesting...

Geno

I love amazon. This year was very simple gift wise no extended family just immediate. Point, Click, Done. in under an 20 minutes. I did have to shop two other etailers to get what i wanted but oh well.

Everything got here as promised so I have no complaints. As for Amazon shipping I have no issues with them. Its the boys in brown that get me nervous, but oh well, they bust their a$$ this time of year. They delivered the amazon package last nite at like 10PM. Crazy huh?!?

In terms of Old Navy, Gap, and BR they do have a great shopping engine. If you look at a lot of usability books Gap is always ranked well.

-AB

Well Amazon has completely dropped the ball. I am done with them forever.

As I stated earlier, I have called each day to check on this order and have been reassured over and over it would be on my doorstep today. I called Wednesday and was told it was shipped & I would have a tracking number in 24 hours. I never got it so I called back and was told not to worry, it had shipped. I questioned why I received no tracking number and was put on hold while he spoke to a supervisor and he came and tried to tell me that when an order is expedited to 2nd day shipping that UPS does not give out tracking numbers. I told him he was full of it and he told me don't worry, it has shipped. You will have it on the 23rd.

Today I get up to an email saying it hasn't shipped and it might get here tomorrow, but more than likely next week.

I call back, go through the whole thing again. Tell them I do not appreciate being lied too, etc. etc. They send the fulfillment center an email while we are on the phone telling them that this order HAS to be upgraded to overnight for delivery tomorrow, and reassure me that this won't be a problem because all the items are available and have, in fact been packaged up and ready to ship since the beginning of the week. The package has just been sitting in KY waiting to be picked up. I was told to keep checking my account on the website for an update on shipping and a tracking number and if it didn't change to call back and they would send another note to the fulfillment center.

I go back to check my account and now the delivery date has changed from 23, 24 to Jan 9th!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with them again and they have no freaking idea what they are doing around there. First person I spoke to said it won't ship until the 31st and there was nothing they could do. I asked what the hold up was and she had no idea. I then told her that was not good enough and asked for the supervisor. He said he can see I have called and what I have been told each time and he is really sorry for all the misinformation I received but there is nothing he can do either. I asked what the hold up was with this whole thing and where it went wrong and he has no idea. Oh, but if it is any constellation I can refuse the order when it comes and they will refund my money.

Well that don't freaking help when I am sitting in a middle of nowhere town in an ice storm so I couldn't go out anywhere to get replacement gifts even if I could find them around here. I looked for stuff here and couldn't find anything worth a darn, which is why I ordered online anyways! Plus Amazon has my Christmas money tied up.

My oldest has enough stuff that I found around here to get by, but to the one that matters, who still believes in all this Santa stuff, I have only a few small things.

This whole thing has me frustrated to tears!

So currently I am looking for a phone number to the main Amazon office so I can call and let them know how incompetent their customer service is and give them an earful.

Does anyone happen to have a phone number for Amazon other than 800-201-7575?
    ~Michelle

Just wanted to update that I found the number I was looking for. Not sure it is going to do much good.
    ~Michelle

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Geeeesh Michelle, I feel for ya. What a horrible situation. I've received all my Amazon purchases on time and without any problems. Nothing excuses the run around they gave you and the bad information. The worst part is not having your gifts, especially for your younger baby. :-( Hopefully the packages will arrive today or tomorrow.

Wish I had an answer for you other than to commiserate. Maybe tell your younger boy that Santa got caught in a snow storm and will be bringing his presents when he can. Then do a special Christmas celebration when they show up. Save them until he's asleep, then when he wakes up, he'll find all his goodies and you can tell him Santa showed up in the night.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Went to Gap's site yesterday, and it looks like their online store is based on EXACTLY THE SAME engine as the Old Navy's one! Same cool things (like the "Quick Look", etc)... That's interesting...
    Geno
    Maybe because they're the same company.

ABW Ambassador
    I got some items via eBay, everything else locally. Bad experience posted here

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread